Not mine - 1977 Toyota Chinook

Ashevillian

This person is DREAMING. Maybe 1K tops. More like $500-700.

I wouldn't mind buying the grill sections.

The rust is the biggest issue.

I haven't seen a Chinook in decent shape go for much less than $2,500, and depending on how rare they are in that part of the country...I don't know.

Rust bucket 79-83 4x4s go for $4k+ in the northeast and Midwest. But I don't know how much rust NC gets.

I guess my point is that depending on how rare a 70s toyota is in this area, his price is actually pretty reasonable, IF the inside is together. Big if.

If the body is showing that much rust chances are the frame is in bad shape. Don't think its originally from NC. Or it was parked next to the ocean most of its life.

It mentions a 5 lug rear axle, is that not a problem with Chinooks?

It mentions a 5 lug rear axle, is that not a problem with Chinooks?

Normally it would be. But it's got the "heavy duty" 5 lug. LOL (no such animal).

Yeah it's generally considered that Chinooks are ok with the regular 5 lug.

Obviously a one ton would be nice...but Chinooks weren't part of the not-quite-a-recall recall.

Best to keep the weight down and the bearings in good shape, though...

My 1979 Galavan has the 5 lug "death axles" with "foolies". My mh is 16' with an extra 2' added for the rear deck which holds the generator. The total weight loaded, with me, comes in at 4200 lbs.

I changed the rear bearings and seals during overhaul 2 years ago. I have since put on over 25K with no axle problems.

I understand most of the rigs owned are much heavier than mine. I see no problem using it on a Chinook. Just my opinion.

5 lug rear axles have never been considered a problem with the Chinooks. They're much lighter than a typical Toyota MH.

Heavy duty 5 lug axle? Well, there's the 1-Ton single rear wheel pickup axle which, I believe, is different from the 1/2 Ton axle.

Derek the only changes they made to the 1 ton single wheel truck was improving the suspension. Axle is exactly the same. They added the offset shocks and the 5 leaf springs. Brakes might be larger too but not sure about that. This is described in the small print on the toyota brochures

Linda S

I won't argue any of that, but with SRW Toyota also rated the 1-Ton as 6000lb GVWR as I recall Sounds 'Heavy Duty' enough for a 4000lb Chinook.. The 'Death Axle' only becomes the 'Death Axle' when you bolt on a set of foolies (and I've seen no record of anyone ever becoming DEAD with a 'Death Axle'). :)

post-3557-0-36829000-1331990120.jpg