Hello,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1989 Toyota Dolphin, as part of fixing up this ol gal, I'm attempting to find a source for chassis parts, in particular, drums, rotors, pads, shoes, brake springs ect. I've done several online searches, amazon, the ususal parts stores, and am having considerable difficulty in locating parts. Any and all suggestions for retailers of reasonably priced parts would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd like to service the transmission ie. change and flush the fluid, however, I'm unsure as to the model designation of the tranny, and wheather or not to go ahead and flush with Dextron VI or Dextron 2. I've read some interesting discussion on here. (and some of it with painfull to read use of english) lol

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help

Remember that the brake parts are not specific to a Dolphin RV, they are parts for a Toyota cab and chassis truck. Make sure that you use the year of the chassis not the RV. My 1988 Escaper is built on a 1987 Toyota RN75 chassis. I think most of the chassis are one year older than the RV designation.

You should be able to be parts from any parts dealer. I was just looking up leaf spring bushing and found Auto Parts Warehouse to be pretty reasonable. I also was looking at brake parts, they have just about everything. With brake parts, buying locally may be about the same price when you include shipping charges.

Thanks Bob,

yes you're correct my 1990 Dolphin sits on a 1989 toyota chassis. I also contacted Auto Parts Warehouse as well, and during our online help conversation, he indicated to me that they had no parts for my chassis, and all this was after giving him my VIN number to confirm this fact. I found it quite odd as they did have Bendix drums that were listed as fitting toyota duallys. Perhaps I'll give them another try.

It's just a little frustrating due to the fact that every site I seem to go to asks for specific vehicle information from a pick list, but the 1ton chassis is never an option.

Don't forget Rock Auto.

Yes, I've tried Rock Auto as well, however, same problem.....they ask you to pick a make (toyota), then a year (1989), then a model (?)

That's the part that seems to end the search. I was hoping there'd be a website that would recognize the toyota 1 ton chassis so that I'd be able to order whatever I need.... drums, shoes, seals ect.

I check the Rock site and in 5 min found front rotors, rear drums, shoes and pads, and rear drum spring kits.

The magic is Toyota... 1989.... Pickup....v.6. The buzz words in each category are DRW (Dual rear wheels) or 1 ton or the chassis model (RN75 etc.)

I check the Rock site and in 5 min found front rotors, rear drums, shoes and pads, and rear drum spring kits.

The magic is Toyota... 1989.... Pickup....v.6. The buzz words in each category are DRW (Dual rear wheels) or 1 ton or the chassis model (RN75 etc.)

Just don't buy the ones from Centric. They don't fit and shipping them back costs as much as the shoes

Linda S

Thanks everyone, I just did a search on Rock Auto and behold, the drums are there!!! Thank you for all the help and patience.

Also.......looking at doing the timing belt and water pump. The kits specify with bypass tube or without. Apparently it's something to do with the pump or thermostat housing. Can anyone clarify this?

I finally discovered a picture of the aforementioned tube, it's a coolant tube directly off the thermostat housing which supplies coolant to the oil cooler. Looks to be a 1/4" line about 2" long. Hope this helps someone out who may be looking.

Obviously I'm new to these motorhomes, it's our first one ever in fact, and I'm quite excited about getting it in shape - Preventative maintenance wise - Then off to new adventures!!!

So I welcome any helpful suggestions as far as items that should be addressed, or known issues with this unit or drivetrain.

Thanks again everyone!!

Firedawg:

I just recently (last month) installed new brake drums that I purchased from Rock Auto. In addition to the drums, I purchased

the brake shoes and a brake hardware kit (new springs, etc..), and the two (per side) rear axle seals.

You need to pull the rear axles out to get to the brakes, that would be a good time to replace the two axle/oil seals.

Also, the cone locking washers are sometimes hard to get off, the manual states:

REMOVAL OF REAR AXLE SHAFT

REMOVE CONE WASHERS

(a) Remove the six nuts and washers.

( B) Insert two service bolts and one turn.

© Tap on the shaft and remove the six cone washers.

I have had good luck with just putting a 14mm socket over each on and tap the back of the socket with a hammer,

the cone washer usually falls into the socket.

Dennis...

Thanks everyone,

yes, I plan to do a complete service to our new vehicle. The previous owner only had it for about four months and was unaware of any prior service records, so I plan on changing all fluids, (power steering, brake fluid, engine oil, transmission, and rear end), and then pulling off all drums/rotors to repack bearings, change seals, clean surfaces, and grease contact surfaces. Allong with a timing belt and water pump change. I just recieved the vehicle back last night from a mechanics inspection and the brakes are over 50%, with the only issue being a small exaust leak on the drivers side that I shall have to hunt down. (I'm assuming its the donut from the header to the pipe), hopefully not too much of a P.I.T.A.

Hi
i struggle to find parts in uk as a v6 engine was not fitted in a 1989 pick up. so have researched on internet and use a 2.5 diesel model for shocks and brakes etc and a 4 runner for engine parts. this works well until parts people ask for reg number then i get a blunt "we will not supply you as its an import" despite me quoting toyota part numbers. importing parts i have to pay tax on top of parts cost and postage. my understanding of toyota parts for hilux of this age most parts are same across all models. There is a website that is selling genuine toyota parts at lower than dealer prices and you can filter parts listings to your (toyota pick up) motorhome. bottom line just ask for pick up parts except for rear shocks which bilstein do a purpose made motorhome shock not available in uk strange as bilstein make shocks in europe for export to usa !!!!! Work that out.

Hi

i struggle to find parts in uk as a v6 engine was not fitted in a 1989 pick up. so have researched on internet and use a 2.5 diesel model for shocks and brakes etc and a 4 runner for engine parts. this works well until parts people ask for reg number then i get a blunt "we will not supply you as its an import" despite me quoting toyota part numbers. importing parts i have to pay tax on top of parts cost and postage. my understanding of toyota parts for hilux of this age most parts are same across all models. There is a website that is selling genuine toyota parts at lower than dealer prices and you can filter parts listings to your (toyota pick up) motorhome. bottom line just ask for pick up parts except for rear shocks which bilstein do a purpose made motorhome shock not available in uk strange as bilstein make shocks in europe for export to usa !!!!! Work that out.

I did a search on the part number for the Bilsteins that fit our motorhomes. Same part number fits a mid 70's to 82 Land Cruiser. Might be a few more of those in the UK. I only searched the rear so might not be the same deal in front

Linda S