Camping trip and government shutdown

sdboltdude

just my luck I have camping reservation in Silver Lake,Ca Sun/Mon and then drive up 395 to Yosemite
camping in first come Tuolumne Meadows and reservations for the valley Thurs Fri Sat

my family and friends are in limbo waiting for the government to get their head out of their :buttwiggle:

I've been so excited about take 2 weeks off and going camping..

now just starring at CNN in disbelief about the shutdown

Yellowstone advised campers that you have 48 hr to get out of Dodge, no new campers allowed into the park.

thanks linda

will have to check them out I live in san diego

Mt Whitney sounds like a very good spot to camp...

might just have to buckle up and drive on out of town....

My Dad just paid for 2 nights in a June Lake hotel he is not happy either ....

I wonder if I will get any refunds for my reservations?

I have $110 in reservations

edit: Just called nps.reservation.org and said they will refund 100% all closed dated but theirs nothing on when they will refund $$

;

Edited by sdboltdude

and the campers are MAD

Yea so are the businesses in the gateway cities around the park. Oct is their last big tourist push before winter shut down.

We're only 30 miles from Crater Lake, just moved here 3 months ago. Managed 1 day trip up there and had planned to go up again about now. Weather's perfect, but... Friends who own a resort just before the park entrance have had a pile of cancellations. Our poor country sure is messed up!

Steve

Got a phone call today from a nice lady from Silver Lake camp ground (I could hear in her voice how sincere she was telling me the bad news)

That because of government shutdown we are know closing for the season even if shutdown is resolved...

breaks my heart..

I had to call Dad And Mom and tell them to cancel their hotel reservations. They used online web site so their not sure if they can get a refund...

Silver Lake is where we went as kids always was the highlight of the summer.. One of the reasons why I bought my ToyHome was to live that childhood dreams..

I do feel worse for all the work furlough people out their not getting a paycheck (my niece and her husband are on furlough with a mortgage payment) and for the people who spent a lot more money then me to go on vacation to a national monument to find out its closed and can't see it or the people camping who now have to leave the park..

I'm still thinking of leaving Sunday for Mt Whitney or any state ran/private place near the 395 and hope Yosemite opens up by Thursday...it just won't be with family....

going to camp in state run site like lone pine or mnt whitney where just going to get in and drive up to the 395 and see wahts out their

Look here are some private Rv parks near June lake. See if any of them have space for you. Just look at A, B, and C

https://www.google.com/#q=june+lake+rv+park

I often camp on BLM land and never see a ranger or anyone. That might be an option too.

Linda S

You did get moved! Congratulations, I am sure you are enjoying the increased number of days of sunshine and gain in solar energy. Will look forward to seeing many more of your beautiful photos of that area.

Yes,

We are loving it here! Agency and Klamath lakes are truly beautiful and full of wildlife, especially birds. We live 3 blocks from Agency Lake in a very rural location and only a mile from the Wood River Wetlands refuge, so there's some great hiking and canoeing spots handy to us. Although getting re-settled has taken more time that hoped, we have done a lot of photography!

Our trip up to Crater Lake in the Sunrader was really fun. We did the rim drive, taking about 7 hours to do the loop. Yes, we stopped often and did a lot of hiking. The high-point of the trip, both elevation and photography wise was Cloudcap Overlook at 7960 elevation. The little 18' Sunrader did great, with no problems other than a bit slow on some of the steeper roads. I'll try to get time to post a few images here soon.

I'd sure like to get up there one more time before it's closed by snow, but...

Steve

This site says most areas are still open during shut down

http://camprrm.com/category/california-campgrounds/

Linda S

the government shut down all these private funded camping site....

these camp site don't take any funds from government..

Makes my want to SREAM!!!

looks like private owned site like KOA in Merced or Lake Millerton of highway 41

Update: 10/3 at 3:30 PM Pacific

The USFS has shut down all our USFS operations EXCEPT the Sedona, Flagstaff, and Payson area sites. These will likely not get shutdown orders until Friday, which may allow them to stay open 48 hours through the weekend.

We consider this an unnecessary and vindictive hardship placed on recreators, since our sites don't take one dime of government money. Learn more.