Which RV to buy??

Ashevillian

Hi,

This is my first post and soon to be the first time owner of an RV. I live in Asheville NC and I am trying to decide between two RV's. These are the two options:

1990 Toyota Dolphin $5850

-v6

-90k miles

-runs well, everything works, generator as some issues (new starter but still has issues starting), has fridge (lp/electric), stove/oven, full bathroom, etc.

-The cushions have been re-done, some ceiling stains...though no current leaks.

-Outside is in pretty good shape, shows it's age.

-All-in-all pretty good and nice layout

-RV AC works, cab AC doesn't

-heat works in cab and RV

-tires have decent tread but are more than 6 years old

1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty $6000

-v8

-55k miles

-drives well

-runs well, everything works, replaced generator, all appliances, etc.

-orignal inside

-AC/heat in both cab and RV working

-all new tires

-everything looks good.

So I know the dodge is newer with fewer miles but will it be reliable like a Toyota.

What would you buy??

Thanks

Edited by Ashevillian

As this is a Toyota forum, I think you'll find we're Toyota biased.

I really know nothing about the Dodge product. My best advice is to read through the archives regarding things to look for. Most every question you might have should be answered there.

The 'house' part looks like it'll be similar to most Toyota based MH. I don't know anything about the build quality of the Scotty.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/other-vehicles/249854-1992-serro-scotty-4x4-rv-motorhome.html

I don't know much about the Dodge part of the equation.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota/308655-dodge-dakota-2wd-and-4x4-questions-help.html

I did come across comments 'claiming' 16mpg and being able to cruise at 80mph. Somehow I doubt both at the same time. It would be interesting to see the mpg obtainable if one was driven at the same speeds as Toyotas are (55mph?).

post-3557-0-76441200-1380457149_thumb.jp

I figured it would be a bit biased! Unfortunately there is next to no information out there about the Dodge Scotty. One of the bigger things I'm curious about is the rear wheel configuration. The dolphin is obviously a dually whereas the dodge has two axles.

This is what it looks like...but it's not the one I'm looking at: http://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/coldwater+mi/other+classc/4117/other+scotty+

Hello Ashevillian,

Regarding the Scotty coach vs the Toyota coach, they both were probably created about equal, the question now is what condition both are currently in after 20 years

and which floor plan fits you needs better.

I have looked at a few Scottys in the past, they are offered in various models including a full size truck chassis with both gas and diesel engines.

You need to be comfortable with the history of the truck chassis. Do some research on the dodge truck chassis as a pickup truck with the

same engine and transmission and see how well it has held up over the years. If the Dodge ends up having a bad history, then the Scotty is probably

on borrowed time.

Regarding driving in mountains, I am guessing that the Scotty would perform better, they both probably weight about the same but the Scotty's V8 engine should be

kicking out about 200 to 230hp (you need to verify the exact engine in it), vs the Toyota V6 kicks out 150hp.

Dennis...

I figured it would be a bit biased! Unfortunately there is next to no information out there about the Dodge Scotty. One of the bigger things I'm curious about is the rear wheel configuration. The dolphin is obviously a dually whereas the dodge has two axles.

This is what it looks like...but it's not the one I'm looking at: http://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/coldwater+mi/other+classc/4117/other+scotty+

41,000 miles and needed a new transmission??? I'm sure that wasn't cheap! Hmmmmm. I think I'll keep my Dolphin with 72000 on it. I trust it.

This should shed some light on things.

1992 Dodge Dakota (Base truck for the RV) Reports

http://repairpal.com/dodge-dakota-1992/problems

Then again, I came across this, but there are far less reports

1990 Toyota Pickup Reports

http://repairpal.com/toyota-pickup-1990/problems?location=75757

Edited by TheWhovian

Wow, that's great information

Thanks!

Looks like I'm getting my Dolphin the middle of this week.

One more question. I've read a lot about the roofs on these campers leaking, this one has had a number of leaks in the past (there is staining and the wallpaper is bubbling around AC unit, Vents, etc.) but it appears to be old (the current owner says they aren't leaking anymore). Should I be concerned about this? Should this be present in a $5,850 dolphin?

Thanks again

Well be very careful. When you seal in wet wood it continues to rot. Can especially be a problem where that heavy air conditioner is. Push on every wall and under every cushion checking for softness. Look at the front overhead from the outside and look at the bottom for drooping in the middle.

Linda S

Dodge seems to have more realibility concern and lower MPG, these where the Toy home wins. But the Dodge has more power and it can tow where Toyota lacks.

Comes down to what your particular needs are.

Nam