Lift off

Debbit

So today's the day. Late start, of course. But on our way out for our first trip in the toyota. I imagine the westfalia left lonely at home and I feel a little sad. Hope we have a trouble free and fun trip.

So far, so good. Waste water tank is still leaking, battery went dead and was replaced, terrible wind the first few hundred miles had me in doubt if we'd ever take it anywhere again. But very comfortable, capable little rig.

We had some really bad wind while crossing South Dakota the first time. We slowed down a bit and tried not to "white knuckle" the steering wheel. when I got accustomed to the way the wind blew us around, it did not bother me as much. We were on a two lane road with trucks going the other direction and it got to be a joke about "holding on" when they went by. By the end of the trip, we didn't even notice the bouncing around.

Yeah! I think we were buffeted less than I expected, but it was just impossible to accelerate very much. I suppose it changes with the direction of the wind though.

Coming home we had a really strong tailwind. Unfortunately, our gas mileage did not increase as much with the tailwind as it decrease with the headwind. My brother is a bicycle racer and said that the return on your energy is only about 50% with the tailwind.

Wind from the side was the worse as far as handling. When trucks went the other direction, I had to anticipate the blast of air behind them. The wind was about 50 mph so I guess that it is to be expected that it will knock you around.

On the way home, I felt a wobbly feel in the steering. We kept checking tires, steering bushings, had the lug nut checked, didn't know what it was or what to check next. Finally had a blowout about 3!hours from home. Rt front. Changed the tire, and the spare was flat too. (I'd aired it up about a month ago). Used our roadside assistance for a tow. So camping in a walmart lot again, will get tires when they open, I hope.

Plastic welding on Wastewater tank is holding.

I had a tire that the belt separated on. Mine was in the back and it felt more like a bump, bump but might feel like a wobble if it had been on the front. Stupid tire place that fixed it didn't even see the problem. I had to take the tire off again and inspect it and sure enough it wasn't even round anymore. make sure they examine the tire carefully if they are going to repair it. Walmart can order the correct tires but they usually don't have them in stock. Hope everything goes well for you

Linda S

Well, we got the only tires we could, and they feel pretty good. I don't know if they are the best tire, but really, we had no choice.

The tires that were on it were actually 2 different sizes. I'm surprised we, or anyone else didn't notice! Anyhow, it handles much better now.

Finally got out to verify. They are Douglas, 205/75R14. The max load rating is 1621#. They are not a truck tire, doing tire research in the walmart parking lot on one's phone is an exercise in frustration. I did call every tire supplier in the little town, there was nothing else.

I know on my westfalia, the proper sidewall ply is extremely important, but I couldn't find information about the best tire for the 84 dolphin anywhere.

The correct size has no center number. 185r14 or 195r14. D load range tires. The 205's you bought are too wide and possible they can rub in the center and blow out. So again no 75 in the middle. If you put them on the front they are probably OK for now. yeah you have a westy. The 80's Westy's take the same size tire as ours. here's a selection of a few of them

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=51165907.135.25469&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Felge=14&Transport=P&dsco=135&m_s=3&kategorie=6&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&x_tyre_for=ALL&s_p=&filter_preis_von=&filter_preis_bis=&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis

Linda S

I assume you made it home. You can always buy tires online but if you go to Discount Tire they will give you a good price and you won't have to pay shipping. Ask for the Hankook Ra08. Should be about 80 to 90 bucks a tire. Not in stock but they can order.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/hankook/product/byName.do;jsessionid=-3AHYA4GfUhmeK9TnDCz6g__.dtc303?r=NMAINT%7Cpc%7C87109&tmn=RA08&typ=Truck%2FSUV

Linda S

Here is my dilemma. The tires are the size and load rating recommended in the toy manual. It seems that we are stuck with the tires we bought, since we bought two and agreed to the selection.

Yep, we did make it home that morning and on the drive home the RV handled and drove great. We will be replacing the 4 rear down the road, so maybe we should use the ones we bought till then, and change all 6 that time.

I would really like to understand better what is the risk in the tires we bought, so I can make a decision on either using these or replacing them. Thanks!

I don't think there is a risk with them on the front. Might be a good idea to weigh the front and back at a public weigh station. That way you would know for sure. Front weight should be several hundred lbs under the combined tire capacity.

Linda S

The front weight should be OK, most Toys weigh less than 2500lbs on the front axle. So as Linda said weigh your toy to be sure and if the weight is under 3000lb run the tires till they are worn out.

The only possible problem is which size tire do you carry for a spare??

The spare is the left front that was still ok. I think it is the same size as the replacement tire.

I think walmart is agreeing to give me credit if I order the hankook 185r14/8 online. But they are vague about how much.

Original on many of the Toyota MH were 185R14 LR C. They are rated at 1600lb @ 50psi. The ones you have (you say) are rated at 1621lb, so no problem. Most times I've seen people post weights for front and rear axles, there;s about 2000lb front/ 4000lb rear. Again, no problem.

If I were you, I'd run what you've got unless the rears are due to be changed. From what I see of Walmart's prices for the RA08s you'll save quite a bit buy buying 6 elsewhere. Do the math before taking them up on their offer.

Yeah, the load rating does seems enough, but my husband was pushing on the sidewall of our westy's tires and even the rear tires of the toyota, and both of those tires have much stiffer sidewalls than the new tires we put on the front. Sooner rather than later we will put the hankooks on the rear, and I guess I wanted to not be stuck with two tires we couldn't use. Probably spend more money, live and learn!