Electric radiator fan

pdqmovie

Shouldn't be necessary if everything is working properly. i.e. if the fan clutch is working, and the radiator isn't plugged, the engine will stay within the operating range.

The only time I seen mine go dangerously close to red line was when I was stopped in I-80 traffic for an hour outside Chicago with the outside air temperature running 95 Deg. If I revved the engine or turned off the Air Conditioner, it was OK.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi there ,

Would like to add a electric radiator fan in front of the radiator . Has anybody done this ?? Just would like some extra cooling to the radiator on the hot days and when i am going uphills

Thanks

Price

I can think of a good reason to have one but . . there are factory made kits to put electric fans on Toyotas if that's what you desire.

Getting close to red line, turning on the cab heat and full fan helped to cool down my old 22RE engine. The real cure was radiator replacement. I had tried to seal a pinhole leak on the radiator and a leak additive seemed to dramatically reduce cooling efficiency.

I can think of a good reason to have one but . . there are factory made kits to put electric fans on Toyotas if that's what you desire.

Correction. I meant to write "I cannot", not "I can."

i change radiator to 3 core new got a new water pump new thermostat new belts flush coolant it run fine but here in ca we had some over 100 degree temp would like an extra fan to cool thing down hoping to put in front of radiator for those hot days . I just dont know where i can find one that will fit as it very tight in the front of radiator

Thanks

Price

There are a lot of Nay Sayers on here when it comes to this subject. I am going to replace my clutch fan with an electric setup a lot of guys are running on 22re trucks. I have replaced everything including water pump, 2 thermostats, a new 2row which I replaced with a new 3 row. 3 different clutch fans and my temps get way hotter than I like when climbing hills or sustained highway speeds. I have one clutch fan that stays engaged all the time and my temps are fine with it climbing even on the hottest days. The problem with that one is its killing MPG and eating power. since my truck runs cooler at highway speeds and climbing hills with that fan clutch I know its an airflow issue. I am going to put the 2 speed ford Taurus setup on mine. I will report on it when I'm done. I plan to have a switch in the cab to engage the high speed when I need it. The lower regular speed will be setup with a thermostat control. I posted about this on here before and had some smart asses say post pics when you ruin your engine. I am doing it and even if it doesn't work well I'm not stupid enough to ruin my engine over it!

Well it takes HP to make electricity the same belt driving your fan is all ready driving the alternator. Most of the newer cars have there engines stuffed in sideways and that makes it a little hard to run a fan from the crankshaft hence the electric fan.The conversion is less then 100% more like 50% at best this is why I say stick with what works on pretty much every truck made. I don't believe you'll ruin your engine but I all so don't believe you'll gain a thing you'll need a pretty big electric motor to match the existing fan for air flow. With things that don't work hard like the average car electric fans make sense they don't run all the time but some thing like a 6,000# 4 cylinder motor home is pretty much maxed out the minute you hit the highway.

I don't think that the 60 amp alternator has any extra reserve to run a high output electric fan. I am not an expert but I want all of that 60 amp to charge my 2 batteries and run the electric stuff already installed.

Now that I (hopefully) have all of my electric problems sorted out, I don't want to start any ones.

Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice

http://www.jegs.com/c/Fans_Electric-Fans/10117/10002/-1

Pushers, pullers. Most have cfm rating and amp draw.

I've often thought of doing similar, perhaps using two small fans, one would kick on at 190 and the other at 210, or something like that. Cost for the retrofit would be around $150 - $175 for the two fans and two thermostat controllers.

Look on e-bay, for electric radiator fans.

Here is one that might fit that has a cowl. I need to check the radiator size and mounting)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-11-Electric-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-Extreme-Twin-Fans-HD-street-rod-/320924100851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab89128f3&vxp=mtr

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I say to go for it. If you don't try, you don't learn. I can't see any irreversible changes being needed to do it. My concern is that you seem to be starting with an overheating problem which isn't fan related so your experiment might be doomed from the beginning. I'm hoping not. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I don't think that the 60 amp alternator has any extra reserve to run a high output electric fan. I am not an expert but I want all of that 60 amp to charge my 2 batteries and run the electric stuff already installed.

Now that I (hopefully) have all of my electric problems sorted out, I don't want to start any ones.

I can see where it could be an issue at night when the headlights are on. May or may not be for daytime driving depending on the RV.

Older Toyotas have 45 amp alternators and newer ones have 60 amp units if OEM.

Driving an RV down the road - there usually is very little battery charging going on - unless they got run down. Normal "maintenance" mode maybe 5 amps total to a pair of batteries. Another 6-8 amps IF a three-way refrigerator is used in "electric' mode. 2 amps for a radio? Another 7 amps if EFI is involved along with ignition and electric fuel pump. That comes to a need of 13-22 amps from the alternator during the day. Toyota stock alternator puts out 25-30 amps at engine idle speed (like when stopped at a red light) and 40- 50 amps at normal driving speeds.. Depending on the draw of an added electric fan - you might wind up with a slight discharge situation when stopped IF the fan is actually running. Seems when all is right it should not run much.