Brake Lights are not working but all other tail lights are?

Anthony in Tahoe

Sometimes the switch by the brake pedal can become misaligned. Press on the switch manually while an assistant watches the lights. Seemed like there was a pressure plate on the pedal that could be tightened.

Ya can't exactly press the switch on. When the brake pedal is depressed it releases the button on the end of the switch completely and that closes the circuit and makes the lights go on. You can remove the switch and then press down lights off, release lights on. I just replaced one on a Kia and the lower dash panel needed to come off to get to it. have no idea on a v6 toyota but from the one I posted I can tell they work exactly the same

Linda S

Hummmm cant figure it out! seems like it should be the ground.

Has anyone totally rewired their rig's tail lights? Any advice?

THANKS

I replaced the brake light switch, from Napa, last week thinking that would fix everything!

I was just thinking to get a temporary magnetic rear light set for towing and cut the lights off and re-run the harness as my permanent wires.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-69626.html

I replaced the brake light switch, from Napa, last week thinking that would fix everything!

I was just thinking to get a temporary magnetic rear light set for towing and cut the lights off and re-run the harness as my permanent wires.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-69626.html

Someone told me it could be a break in the wire but I may not be able to see it if the jacket is still in place.

The tail light assemblies lack a lot they are really cheaply made and bad/dirty connection abound. The stop lights and the parking lights use the same bulb so if your parking lights burn brightly chances are the ground is fine if one works and the other does not that does not mean that the bulb is good many time people have been fooled by two bad bulbs. You can jumper the switch connection with a paper clip and if they work then it's either maladjusted or bad. Some coaches had fuses for the rear lighting also.

I have a very stupid question (maybe). Did you check the bulbs?. also check the sockets. Mine were very poor, the little rubber thing in the bottom that presses the socket against the bottom of the bulb was real flaky. I finally said the heck with it a soldered LEDs directly to the wiring.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Did you try the 4-way flashers? If they work wiring, etc is ok. If not start tracing the hot side wiring from fuse to switch to feed line to socket.

Don't the 4-way flashers work on the the directional signal lights and not the stop lights? Most 80s-90s Toyotas I've worked on had separate bulbs for the stop lights.

Yep that will only flash the signal lights not the stop lights. Took the US manufactures a long time to figure out that was a good ideal.

90s Toyota trucks are as thus:

Headlights work via a headlight relay (four prong)

Tailligights work via a taillight realy (three prong)

4-way flasher taps into the taillight relay to make the taillights flash.

Stoplight has NO relay. Very simple wiring. Hot, ground, stoplight switch. When not working - check the bulb socket. Have someone close the brake switch and check for positive and negative at the bulb socket. Find out which one you are missing and fix the problem.