Where can I get my rig weighed?

vtchris

The truck stop I went to only weighed it front and back, and I would like to also know the weight side to side.

Well you move around a lot so I don't know where you are right now but just google public scales in your zip code area then call them and see if they have room on either side of their scale for you to drive it on one side then the other. They will probably charge you extra for it but none of them cost very much. Is there some reason you need to know side to side weight. is it driving funny or not handling right?

Linda S

Hi Linda, No, it handles fine....I just want to be as balanced as I can be. I have found the front and back weights to be very helpful, so just figured it would be good to have left and right balanced too.

Oh, also the tires are rated for a certain weight.....what I really would like would be a scale that would give me the weight on each tire.

Your rear tires are not going to notice if one side is a few hundred lbs different from the other. I know you have the right tires so they are rated at over 7000lbs just on the rear. If you manage to get that much stuff in your camper the floor will fall through first.

Linda S

The truck stop I went to only weighed it front and back, and I would like to also know the weight side to side.

A portable "wheel weigher" is what's used. Many of our motor-vehicle police carry them. I can't say I know of many private places that have them.

They are very handy when you're trying to balance an RV. Most of the Toyota RVs I've seen need all the help and balance they can get as the rear springs are often near maxed out. I put two refrigerators in my Chinook on the same side as the "house" battery and fresh water tank. It sat too crooked that way and I had to rearrange the stuff.

http://www.scaleline.com/mwp_wheel_weigher.htm

Chris, Keep your eyes open, sometimes gravel yards or scrap iron places will weigh your vehicle. They may charge you a few bucks but might be able to accommodate your request to do each wheel individually.

You do have the biggest part, front and rear weights. Curious, what were they?

John MNC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Don't worry so much.

Your side to side weight is not going to be a constant so it is worthless to try and figure it out.

Saying that an attempt to balance is "worthless" is a just plain silly. RV makers engineer RVs with side-to-side balance in mind. Yes - it will never be a constant but an RV can certainly be put together where it comes close. It's nice to have a rig that sits level, side-to-side on its own - instead of relying on air bags with separate fills to equalize. The weight issue is especially true with items that sit way out sideways beyond the sprimg perches, e.g. microwave, hot water heater, fresh water tank, "house" batteries, furnace, generator, propane tank,, etc., &c.

Winnebago made 20 foot Toyota RVs - when full of gas, water, and propane - to weigh 2420 lbs. on the right and 2440 lbs. on the left; THAT is pretty darn close to even.

Because........The builder of the RV will have figured out the weight load balance side to side as part of the design process. Now if you did a lot of modifications to an existing rig it would be worth taking the time to weigh it because that will have changed things.

I am well aware of all that. Your are the one that stated "Your side to side weight is not going to be a constant so it is worthless to try and figure it out."

Unless I'm mis-reading your comments somehow - you are contradicting yourself.

The original posted want to know his side-weights and I think it's a good idea to know.

If I was building or doing major renovation, I'd take into consideration side to side weight, to make sure I don't get to lopsided.

I think the manufactures building are fairly well balanced and I don't think its an issue. However, next time I get my Dolphin on the road, I'll bring it by the shop and weigh each wheel just to see what they are.

One example, side to side weight can vary just by adding water. 20 gallons of fresh water adds about 160 lbs directly over my left rear wheel. When I load my truck, try and do some "balancing" i.e. all the heavy spare parts, tire chains, jack, spare propane bottle, etc, I place under the right bench seat, to maybe offset the weight of water thats on the left side.

I don't think I've ever notice any change in drivability or handling that I could attribute to weight side to side differential.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You think its worth it and I don't. End of story

End of your story perhaps. Not the end of the weight balance story.

Many RVs that I've seen have been modified and thus a good reason to check.

Probably a simplistic solution and not totally accurate, but park on what you know is a level surface and place an 18 or 24" level side to side. If tire pressure is equal and correct, the level will be a good indicator of how balanced your load is. Don't forget to add your weight into the equation. :)