Here's the dilemma. HELP!!!

uthorns

We are headed to Yellowstone next week in "Flo" our '85 Sunrader. I've been working on it and have noticed the transmission slip alittle when you put it in gear. Once the fluids warm up its ok. Other than the slip when cold it works perfectly. I put in some Lucas transmission stuff and it actually made the slipping worse. Maybe it needs time to improve it I'm not sure. I'm gonna drive it around every day and see if it improves.

Should I worry a lot, leave it at home and just travel in the car, or do you think it will be fine? We have been planning this trip for months and now not sure what to do.

Change the fluid. There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission pan. You will probably need a special funnel to fill through the dipstick access.

This has worked for me on a couple of different Toyota trucks. I have about 500,000 miles on Toyota trucks over the last 28 years.

We are headed to Yellowstone next week in "Flo" our '85 Sunrader. I've been working on it and have noticed the transmission slip alittle when you put it in gear. Once the fluids warm up its ok. Other than the slip when cold it works perfectly. I put in some Lucas transmission stuff and it actually made the slipping worse. Maybe it needs time to improve it I'm not sure. I'm gonna drive it around every day and see if it improves.

Should I worry a lot, leave it at home and just travel in the car, or do you think it will be fine? We have been planning this trip for months and now not sure what to do.

I'm not a believer in aftermarket transmission additives doing anything but lightening wallets. OEM transmission oil is already loaded with additives including friction modifiers. If your trans slips when cold - it is remotely possible that the screen/filter needs a change. Easy thing to check and service. When there's any sign of trans trouble -the filter ought to be pulled anyway and checked for debris. If something is failing -you ought to find pieces of it in the filter or at the bottom of the pan.

If it was mine - I'd pull the pan. If it looks "normal" with just a few fine particles - I'd put a new filter in, add the new oil needed and test drive. If any slipping is suspected - I'd stick a gauge in the trans and check PSi in each gear position. If PSI is good but there is still slipping - there's a set of clutches failing (or in some transmissions a brake band). I would not suspect the torque converter because when they fail - they leave lots of debris to be found. If PSI is low in only one area - I'd check for a sticking valve or a broken regulator spring.

What color is the fluid and how many miles? Can you elaborate on "slipping"? I all so agree with any additives in general (mostly snake oil) except maybe a little gin in my tonic.

90,000 miles on transmission. The fluid is brownish but doesn't smell burnt. I added a cooler last summer, when I bought it with 86,000 miles it had never had one so much of the fluid was replaced when I did that. The previous owner said he serviced transmission but it may be likely he didn't.

The transmission pan holds about 2 qts. You to drain and drive several times to get most of the fluid changed. The filter on a toy is just a bug screen thing if its plugged you have major problems. ALSO check the transmission shift cable for correct adjustment.

You can replace the filter but like WME says, it is really just a mesh inside a metal box. NAPA will sell you the replacement filter.

I consider dropping the oil pan a lot of work, mostly because getting all the old gasket off of both surfaces can be a pain. If you leave the tiniest bit on, you get an oil leak and you have to start all over again.

Changing oil is easy with the plug. Drain a couple of times and replace. I like to take a trip between the drain/refill cycle.

On purchase, my transmission oil was dark and cloudy. Clear and red after three changes.

When I changed mine I drained and replaced the filter/gasket. Then I refilled, took the return line off at the radiator. I used a clear plastic bottle with a mark on it for one quart. I had my brother start the rv. I let it run till one qt came out. shut off the truck and put one qt in. We repeated this process unit fluid was coming out clear red. If I remember correctly it took about 11 qts. I used the Walmart Dex VI which is a full synthetic and the cheapest place I found DEX VI. My trans shifts smoother and I know all the fluid was replaced. I did a drain and fill this spring and plan to do that each spring from now on. Good Luck!

I got a filter from NAPA, changed it and put in 9 quarts of Dexron VI thru a series of drain and drives. It drove perfect with the first drive. The filter didn't even look dirty to me but what a difference. Thanks everyone for advice!! We are pulling out Thursday for Yellowstone from Texas and are so excited. We drove all over Arkansas last fall so this will be our second big trip. I'll post in the trip report later. Thanks again.

So there isn't a replacement filter? You just clean and re-install?

The filter on a toy is just a bug screen thing if its plugged you have major problems. ALSO check the transmission shift cable for correct adjustment.

That would be an awful tight-mesh "bug" screen. Standard OEM filter on the Aisin/Toyota trans in the 80s-90s is 75 microns. That means the screen holes are three-thousandths of an inch. Mosquito-proof screen mesh is usually around 1000 microns or forty to fifty thousandths of an inch (much larger). I've seen many get partially plugged just enough to cause trouble when cold but OK once oil is warm and viscosity thins out.