The exhaust system on my 1978 Dolphin fell of the other day. Does any one know where i can find a muffler that would be compatible with the R20 engine? None the auto parts stores carry them. I still have the original muffler but the the pipes on both sides of it are too rusty to work with. Is there a suitable substitute that works as well as the original? Also there is no catalytic converter on it. Do I have to put one on? I need to get this thing inspected soon cause she is my daily driver/home right. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

What state are you in? Did it pass inspection when you bought it?

Check the Walker Exhaust Catalog.

They have two systems for the 20R, one with cat and one without (1979 year 20R Toyota Pickup).

You need to check the rules for your location. There may be an exemption based on the age of your vehicle or its use. The cat may be quite pricy.

I have a 91 Warrior and have ordered a number of exhaust parts, based on the Walker catalog. I installed the Walker muffler and tailpipe on the camper (courtesy of Advance Auto and their 20% online special).

Once you have the Walker part numbers, you can order them through auto stores, Ebay, Amazon, or google the part number for more sellers.

Also, the exhaust parts are not hard to put on yourself. They either bolt or clamp together.

The hard part is getting your old parts off and/or matching the new parts to the old.

Your current exhaust may be smaller than factory original or not depending on past replacements.

Measure your pipe size. Check it against the Walker part size. Examine your current system to see what is salvageable.

I have found that the Walker tailpipe does not quite extend past the width of the vehicle, ending behind my rear tires. Has worked OK for me although I'd consider putting an extender.

Check local exhaust shops (not the franchise ones) I had new muffler and pipe on mine for $100.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I am In Rhode Island. The vehicle is not Inspected. It doesn't have a cat convert on it now. Tried to call a toyota dealership and they couldn't help me because they said the vin# I gave them was not a valid vin#. Crazy!!!!

If no exhaust system check, then I vote for the local muffler shop.

Local shop is the way to go. I had my pipe ID upgraded to 2".

As far as a cat goes, check your underhood label an see if it states "Non-catalyst equipped". My 1978 came factory without a cat.

Total cost for my exhaust with muffler and custom pipe $200.00