Can anyone help

soulshine73

post-7288-0-53116900-1374707460_thumb.jppost-7288-0-10934900-1374707507_thumb.jppost-7288-0-55699600-1374700275_thumb.jppost-7288-0-73157100-1374700304_thumb.jppost-7288-0-78713400-1374700324_thumb.jppost-7288-0-69432100-1374700351_thumb.jpi just purchased what i was told was a 1974 dolphin camper. however the registration says its a 1979. it has the second generation cab design/grille. its also has the 20r motor. serial # on the door reads 79579. model # under the hood reads rn28l - kra. frame # reads rn28 - 168352. she is about 16 ft. long

and has a single rear axle. if anyone can help me identify the year and model name for this camper it would be much appreciated.

Edited by soulshine73

Well it's not a 79 model truck cab. Looks like my 78. They changed the body style for 79-83. I think my door tag says the exact date of manufacture. Does yours not?

Can't help with what camper that is, though...

Are you reading the camper ID or the truck ID from Toyota? I'd believe the rv maker took a 78 model, put a camper on it and sold it in 79 as a "1979" vehicle, but the truck is not a 79.

Take some photos of the tags, door and under hood, if you would.

Same chassis as mine.1978 but body wasn't installed until 1979.

If you have the 20R engine that would match with the year.

for shure a 1978 the chassis could set at the camper factury lot for some months before it went on the line . the y aways have two build dates.one for the chassis one for the camper the camper companys bought the chassis. as to who built that one you might never know. i had a 1978 minimax one of four known to been made never could find out who made it or where

if it is a dolphon those were made in parris californa check national R V archive

Yeah the first photo/tag is the camper body tag. My Chinook has two tags in the door. A camper one telling me tire size and all that, and the stock Toyota one. You just have the Toyota tag under the hood? No Toyota tag in the door?

Either way...yeah, 78 body, 79 RV.

My 1979-78 had only the underhood vehicle ID tag and the mfg. ID label.

Motor vehicle dept. goes with the mfg. assigned label.

You must remember Toyota sold cab and chassis to many different buyers including U-haul.

Your RN28 # makes you truck a 1978. This is all you would need at a parts place. It is known as a "standard cab".

As far as the camper body goes you could try looking in different areas inside to see if you can find the mfg. name.

There were many companies that jumped on the mh bandwagon in the 70's. Could be yours was made by one of them.

on my old minmax there was a paper tag in a cab door but it was half gone so i never could find anything on that one anywhere. i sold it a year ago

One thing about the Chinook was it was a mager manufacterer they were made where i live they made other larger full size units also. but i think some of those makers came and went very shortly.

Here is a link to photos of a guys 1979 Dolphin Motorhome. You can compare and see if its a match.

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.0'>http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.0

They're similar, but I don't think he's got a Dolphin.

• 9 years later...