QUESTIONS PLEASE: How to remove spare tire? Source for side door lock key? Alternate seats that fit the front cab? Source for windshield replacement rubber gasket?

Stevo

Questions regarding an 18' 1982 Toyota Sunrader please...

1) How do I remove the spare tire from the bracket underneath the motorhome?

2) I don't have a key for the side door. Any suggestions/sources for getting a new key? Remove the lock and take to Home Depot maybe??

3) I want to buy some really comfy seats to replace my stock front cab seats. I'll buy them used off of Craigslist. Do you know of front seats that fit the front cab of an 82 Toyota pickup with minimal modifications?

4) Can you recommend a source to buy some new rubber gasket material that frames the front windshield?

Thank you. :-)

1.) look in the back of the rig for a hole. inside hole there you should see a bolt looking thing; this is where the lowering crank handle goes. its a two piece tool that came with the rig. you assemble it and shove it into the hole then crank it; it loweres a steel winch that lowers the wheel down to the ground.

2.) depends on the maker; some will have a small number printed on the lock bezel... if they do you just get a key for that number; this is why so many folks have deadbolts installed. no number? will need new lock tumbler; see a locksmith home depot wont help.

3.) search the forum here; many many seat topics; some are drop in some involve drilling one bolt hole some are just bending a bracket quarter of an inch and then drop in

4.) order from window shop

1) Where is that hole in the back of the rig located relative to the spare tire?

2) Good idea about a deadbolt. Do you use the same kind of deadbolt you'd install in a house door or is it some special RV deadbolt?

Thanks!

1.) on my sunrader its covered by a black plastic plug; i just pop that out with a small flat head. I can take a picture if you dont see it; its nearly the middle of the back by the bumber or maybe below bumper?

2.) yep standard dexter will work just fine.

if you dont have the jack handle crank witch is the same spare tire crank it is the same setup that was stock on any toyota truck

I found the thing that raises and lowers the spare tire and also found the long rod thingee that does that. I used vice-grips to lower it but will see if I can find a square drive that size I could use on my socket wrench. There is no jack with this motorhome so I'll probably buy a bottle jack at Harbor Freight.

I assume installing a deadbolt requires some serious shimming since the motorhome door is a lot thinner than a house door, right?

you must be mines the handle crank that fits on the square drive

U might need to cut the install screws to the dead bolt; no shimming. Dremmel a hole in the door surround aluminum and put your bolt sill in. Use gorilla glue or locktite on all screws so they stay set tight

Try Durham's Water Putty for covering bolts and giving stripped out screws something to bite into. http://waterputty.com/about_water-putty/