Joining oak planks for table top

Well, like everything else with my Chinook, I'm pretty much winging it...

I was talked into making a "nice" tabletop instead of just using plywood with a nice veneer. So I've got a 10' or so by 8" plank of white oak. I'm going to cut it in three, and glue them together to form the 24" width of my table/bed.

So I'll need to be glueing these three planks together. Beyond needing some really long clamps, what advice do you have?

I have access to a table saw, but otherwise I'm going pretty primitive.

Can I get away with just glueing them together and not using any kind of dowel?

Basically, how simple can I go, while still doing it "right", and not ghetto?

Zach,

I've glued planks together for table tops many times over the years and never had any of them come apart. A pass on a table saw was almost always the only edge I gave them - no routering, no planing and no jointing. The secret? Two part epoxy glue! And light to medium clamping pressure, of course. Other glues, like carpenter's yellow glue, require lots of clamping pressure, but epoxy doesn't. If too much clamping pressure is used with epoxy, the strength of the bond is actually decreased, not increased. Just use enough epoxy and clamping pressure to get a little squeeze-out of epoxy from each joint, scrape up the excess and clean up with a cotton rag dampened with acetone before the epoxy hardens. Piece of cake...

One helpful hint is to thicken the epoxy with something so that it doesn't run out of the joint before you clamp everything together. I use Bisquick flour sometimes. It's cheap, always around and makes me remember to make pancakes the next morning. (True story!)

John

Thanks John!

Ok. I would rather use a different glueing material than find tools I don't know how to use and make cuts I don't know how to make :)

I'll swing by Home Despot tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Hmm...so maybe even just some flour? I'm not much on flours and ground grains...so it's not something I usually have laying around. Maybe my helper/friend has some, though. He seems like a pancake kind of guy. At least you'd think and old banjo playing telemark skier retired-BLM guy would be into pancakes, right??

So I'm looking for wood epoxy? I've used jb weld (clearly not what we're looking for here) and some epoxy for fiberglass and plastic. I'm assuming there's a special kind for wood?

We'll make this thing happen.

Got any model hobby shops near by? Model epoxy is for wood, also check out micro ballons as a filler to make the glue thicker.

Instead for food use talc for a thickner if you can't find micro ballons

I would joint one edge of your board before you rip it that will establish one very straight edge and the others will follow if you have even the slightest bow they will not fit together well. You can use biscuits they help to make the top flatter but with good water proof glue you don't have to.

Zach,

Epoxy glue/resin isn't just for wood, its for everything. Its used in laminating fiberglass cloth to make boats and Corvettes and carbon fiber skis and strip planked, fancy canoes, etc. Just get two part epoxy resin and mix it according to the directions and you'll be okay. Home Depot sells some two-part epoxy resin that sets up in about five or ten minutes. I'd stay away from that stuff and just look for regular epoxy resin. You'll need less than a pint mix but that might be the smallest amount you can find.

John

Instead of wide planks think about a Butcher Block look 1" wide strips.

I heard that you should alternate the wood right side up/upside down so that any possible warps will work against each other

Zach,

Three 8" wide planks will be fine. Just try and keep them all level so that after the glue dries, (overnight is best) you don't have to do so much sanding to make them all level. I'm lucky to have lots of clamps so that after glueing up the planks, I lay down a couple of strips of wax paper or Saran wrap across the boards (on top and underneath) and clamp some straight pieces of wood across the boards to force them to all be flat. The wax paper or Saran wrap is to keep the cross boards from sticking to the table top boards.

Good Luck!

John

Well...I appreciate all the advice and was going to make it happen...

But when I got up to my friend's house, he said his neighbor offered to just do it. So we went over there, he cut, planed, lined everything up, cut slots for biscuits, and got it all glued and clamped.

So...I lucked out! The guy has a huge wood shop, and his own saw mill...

My dad always said he"d rather be lucky than smart........Ya done good

:)

Yup. The first thing the guy said was "too bad you bought that oak". Apparently he had a lot of it just laying around. But of course if I hadn't bought it and looked for help from my friend, he never would have thought about me while he was looking at the nice shop his neighbor had...so it worked out about as well as I could hope for.