Waste tank valve replacement

jmowrey

I'm getting ready to replace the valves on the waste tanks on our new Dolphin. Both are leaking into the main drain pipe somewhat. This looks like a fairly straight forward procedure, four bolts, out with the old, in with the new. But these valves are old and crusty. Some of the bolts are rusted. I'm sure, like all "simple" repairs, there will be complications. Any input from anyone on problems I may encounter and suggestions for ways to make this project as painless as possible?

Thanks!

Joe

i just did both valves on our Dolphin i did not replace the whole valve. i just bought the over haul kits . consits of two new seals and four new bolts and nuts cost four dollors ea. the ol d seals were in realy bad shape the secend one the smaller one went easer on the first i read the dirications wrong the seals sliped down i had take apart again now all work great. maybe some vasalene to hold the seals on the side pices would be easer to put the gate in . as i recall the gate needs to be in closed position. went good though save a lot of money if the rest is in good shape.

Another reason to replace the entire valve, is they have easy pull versions. Makes a big difference.

tell me more about the easy pull type.mine are much easer to pull since i rebuilt them.

The full kit is marked "easy to open" on the new packages. They are the ones that have redesigned. Old stock won't say that.

I replaced the entire valve on my gray water tank. The original was 25 years old. I also used Vaseline to hold the seals into place while reassembling the unit. It only took me about a 1/2 hour total. The old one leaked and the handle had been melted when someone left the valve open (handle against the exhaust pipe) before I got the RV. I put wire ties on the new valve handle to keep them from opening to far and touching the exhaust again.

i recently replaced the black water tank valve with a complete kit for $14.99 at camping world.

i wouldn't bother rebuilding, it's water tight and opens and closes with a push and pull of a pinky.

i f myn would have been damaged i would of replaced them. and its good to replce them anyway. but if your someone who has to watch the money your saying 14.99 each for two is 30 dolors i find .I paid 8 eight dollors for two overhaul kits eight dollors is a lot less then thirty 30

I'm getting ready to replace the valves on the waste tanks on our new Dolphin. Both are leaking into the main drain pipe somewhat. This looks like a fairly straight forward procedure, four bolts, out with the old, in with the new. But these valves are old and crusty. Some of the bolts are rusted. I'm sure, like all "simple" repairs, there will be complications. Any input from anyone on problems I may encounter and suggestions for ways to make this project as painless as possible?

Thanks!

Joe

I did both of mine, and yes the bolts on mine were rusted, so I cut off the head of the bolts (I emptied both tanks before I started this) and then I used a thin punch to drive the bolt parts out. Then I went and bought eight stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. The rest of the job went quite easily, took about half an hour to install and adjust the valves. You might find that when you are snugging up the nuts on the bolts, that the valve might be too tight, so what I did was back the nuts off, filled the gray water with fresh water and opened to drain, the valves that leaked a bit, just needed a half a turn on each nut and that was it - no more dripping.

Boots

Buy the stainless steel hardware and congratulate yourself on saving time the next time you have to do this repair.

Boots that is a very good point using stainless steel bolts thank you

I also changed the bolts to stainless since I had them in the garage anyway.