AC

tlava

any ideas about least expensive way to get a new AC system into an '84 (22re)? it will have to be a new system--no current one installed.

Level of "cheapness" depends on what somebody is selling parts for. My choice would be to find a junked 84 truck with factory AC and swap everything over. I just did that with a 1995 Geo-Chevy Tracker. Originally had manual steering and no AC. I bought a wrecked one for $175 with PS and AC and swapped it over. Note that installing a factory setup is a lot of work. An aftermarket kit is simpler. There are lots of older Toyota trucks around in junkyards with aftermarket add-on AC systems in them that go cheap. I have several here (1978 vintages).

thank you that is neat that you can still buy what was in the old days commenly known as hang on air . was a commen thing in the 1960s 1970s. dealer installed payed 400 dollors in 1974.

neat idea - but as underpowered these things are, you may find yourself having to cycle off everytime you pull away from a light or going up a hill.

You may also have heat issues - when you put the condenser in front of the radiator on an underpowered truck, ....

you could use the 2-60 method - open 2 windows & go 60 mph - sorry bad joke.

In my mind it is not a practical mod - but good luck if you decide to do it anyway.

my dolphon has the factory air but does not work a maybe sometime repair. tore same off my 4wd ten years ago . car has good air.house has good air.