Switching from external to internal water question

I'm the newest owner of a 1981 Sun Rader, new to RV's, and have a question regarding the water system.

When I'm hooked to external water I have water at all the faucets. When I'm disconnected from external water, even though I have water in the RV's water tank and the water pump is running, I have no water at the faucets.

Is there a switch that I'm missing?

Have you taken a look at the actual water lines coming from the tank and going into and out of the pump? When I bought mine the water flow worked but was weak and the pump had a noisy bearing. I replaced the whole thing for about $75 and it works beautifully now. When you have water at the faucets hooked to external water it is because the water pressure from the hose it what is moving the water out of the faucet, while when not connected all water flow is up to the pump. It has a pressure switch that senses when a faucet is opened at line pressure drops and that's when it knows to automatically turn on and off.

if you are running the stock converter it will not run the pump if the battery is too low or will run it so inefficiently that it will make a jack hammer noise with no to little output.

Many MH's had inline water filters prier to the pump might be some thing to have a look at. Does the pump seem to be running fast? There are two check valves in your water system one at the hose port that keeps water from running out when the pump is running and the other inside of the pump to keep city water from filling you storage tank.when you are hooked up. It would be a good ideal to turn your pump on and go outside to and see if there is water running out of your hose port if so the valve is bad. They do sell replacement hose ports.

The pump looks to be new, the plumbing looks good, and there are no obvious problems (I've pulled the dinette seats and plywood that covers the tank and water lines, and am able to do a good visual inspection).

When I get off of work I'll do some more trouble shooting.

Thanks!

if the pump is "running' (as in continuosly) you are either pumping air (no water in tank or inlet to pump is not connected) or you are pumping water overboard.

when you activate the pump, it should run a few seconds until your system is pressurized. when you open a faucet it should run until the faucet is closed.

Aha!

A comment in another recent thread got me thinking...I pulled the cap off of the city water inlet, held my hand over the fitting and had my wife turn on the water pump. I felt it create suction on my palm, and then it started to pump water from the water tank to the faucet and shower. The screw in cap has gotten old and oxidized and is leaking air.

Aha!

A comment in another recent thread got me thinking...I pulled the cap off of the city water inlet, held my hand over the fitting and had my wife turn on the water pump. I felt it create suction on my palm, and then it started to pump water from the water tank to the faucet and shower. The screw in cap has gotten old and oxidized and is leaking air.

Most likely it was a stuck valve in the pump (one of 3) there should be no suction there it is the pressure side they should work fine with no cap at all.

my unit has a check valve where the city water hooks up. With the cap off or loose water drips out when the water system is pressurized via the pump.

The check valve is leaking. The cap is only to keep stuff out of the inlet. New ones are only a few bucks for a complete inlet.http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rv+water+inlet&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7211356649&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=21341524162056763904&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_id6sw2x2r_b