Lost A/C shroud from '84 Sunrader today. Replacements available?

Hi!

Coming back from our fun Memorial weekend camping trip and the shroud from the a/c on our Sunrader flew off on the interstate and is trashed. It's an Emerson Quiet Kool 1400. What are the chances of finding a replacement shroud? Nil?

Anyone have any ideas for us? The a/c works great otherwise.

Thanks very much for any help or advice.

I made one once from a concrete mixing pan I painted white. Fit pretty good, cut the back off and vents on the side. Cost me 12 bucks instead of the hundred or so they wanted for a universal one. Don't think you could really tell from the ground either. Recent visitor to me used top only of a square dog house. Not bad either

Linda S

heard of one "take off", saw one disintegrate

did a quick ppl seach, did not see an emerson but by experience sometimes you have to poke around on their site - a call would be worthwhile.

this will get you started: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/duo-therm-shrouds.htm

The PPL parts super store is really hard to negotiate but this part number comes up for the Emerson. They didn't have a 1400 on the list though but this is the part number for the 1350 and all the other emersons they have on the list.

Comes up as 245 bucks

Other ones on the site are cheaper. better to measure and find a more reasonable replacement

Hi!

Coming back from our fun Memorial weekend camping trip and the shroud from the a/c on our Sunrader flew off on the interstate and is trashed. It's an Emerson Quiet Kool 1400. What are the chances of finding a replacement shroud? Nil?

Anyone have any ideas for us? The a/c works great otherwise.

Thanks very much for any help or advice.

Don't feel alone I see that stuff on the highway all the time.

Linda S: That sounds like about as much as we'd want to spend, ha! How did you attach the cement pan to the whatever it attaches to? That's actually a great idea! As far as the part number, thank you. When I clicked on the a/c parts link it said 'nothing was found to match your search'. Hmm. Okay, I found my way in.... thanks. Yeesh. That's a lot of dough. We will measure and get the exact dimensions.

Dan: I suggested the junk yard but DH says then we'll have one as old as the one that just fell apart on us. Maybe a call to some of these places is in order. Thanks for the link. I can't tell if the one in the last link is the same... I wish I could find an image of it but it's so old. It kind of looks like that one, though.

In the link to the other forum someone mentions having one fabricated at a metal shop. Also an interesting idea.

Well, it seems we have options now. We were kinda hoping we weren't out of luck. Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.

As an aside: we were surprised at how thin and light that cover was. Nothing substantial feeling about it. Surprised it lasted this long!

I don't suppose we should leave this open to the elements for a prolonged amount of time either?

Edited by deedles

Here's ac shrouds on ebay. Pretty sure one of them will fit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_qfkw=1&_mqf=0&_osacat=50067&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R-1.TR3.TRC1&_nkw=air+conditioner+shroud&_sacat=50067&_from=R40

I attached the cement pan shroud thing I made with screws, Found places to attach that wouldn't hurt anything.. tried to post a pic but can't do it right now

Linda S

• 3 months later...

If there is enough left of the old cover, could that be used as a mold to make a new fiberglass cover? I'm sure that fiberglass will hold up a lot better than that thin, cheap plastic. If it's feasible, I may take my good plastic cover and make a new fiberglass one for a spare or a better replacement.

another route to take is go to walmart and get a heavy duty plastic storage bin that is a little bit bigger than the A/C unit.

Cut vent holes in the side where the old ones were (if you can't recall just look at some for sale on ebay), and

find a way to secure it down (rubber straps, or metal plumbers tape). Should cost less than $20.

Dennis...