Roadtrek versus Sunrader - Which would you get?

I have narrowed my search down to a Chevy Roadtrek 1995 around 7000 dollars used and a Sunrader 1985 around the same price. They both seem to get around the same gas mileage, but it appears that the Sunrader would be more dependable.

My first concern is how well the sunrader is insulated. I would be using this in the winter time. Probably should get the underbody treated to prevent rust. The ceiling height is another issue. I am 6'1 with shoes so I need a ceiling height of 6'3. The roadtrek offers this in their Chevy models. Does anyone know the ceiling height of the Sunrader?

The last issue is stealth. The Sunrader will be more noticeable in the public as a camper. I want to stay overnight in public places that are free so I will need to get solar panels so I can live without a hookup electrical line.

The Raider will have more room and will be slower. Its definitely lower inside than 6'1", I'm thinking in the 5'10 range.

1995 Roadtrek brochures show interior height at 73.5 inches for the chevy model. My Sunrader I just measured at 72.5 inches so only an inch difference in interior height. To get mileage equaling the Sunrader you will have to find a Roadtrek with the 350 engine. It also comes with a 454 which would get zip for mileage. Yes the Roadtrak will be more stealthy but the Sunrader will seem much roomier. I recently helped a friend buy a camper van and I got very claustraphobic in the Roadtrak style ones.

Linda S

What year is your Sunrader? I wonder if there are height differences in various years. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

The shells are identical so I'm guessing they are all the same in height. Mine is a 1986 short one but the 21 footers look exactly the same but longer. I'm in it now camping for the weekend so I literally took out a tape measure and measured right here. had my foot on the end so it might be a touch bigger

Linda S

Couldn't one rip up the flooring and replace the polystyrene foam with the pink foam then put new plywood down? Do all the cabinets have to be ripped out before I can do this? I am happy with just fans running and forget the AC.

The Roadtrek showers are lower in the ceiling so standing in the shower won't work either. It looks like the only advantage to the Roadtrek is stealth, but the Sunrader has so many advantages over the Roadtrek.

I am having a difficult time finding a Sunrader in the Chicago area. The only one I see is priced at 11,000 dollars which seems overpriced. Thanks for all your input!

A Toy will also have a permanent overhead bed, most Class B's you have to make up the bed each night