Is it possible to fabricate a steel frame on the roof that a Hullavator could attach to?

I would like to carry a 12 foot kayak on the 1991 Dolphin motor home that I think I will be buying.

Has anyone ever done this or even thought about it?

I had not heard of it either but found this video of the hullavator in action, pretty cool

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3Pi90FXW4JA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3Pi90FXW4JA

It seems like it would be pretty high on top of a motorhome. You also may be contending for space with the ac unit. I would check out the vertical racks that some of the members here have built, they seem easy and cheaper.

• 6 months later...

The Hullavator rattles like crazy and drove me mad, plus it takes up a lot of space and you will still need a step ladder to reach up and lock it. I had one on a lifted van and on gravel roads it rattled way too much. I'd recommend towing a Yakima rack n roll very lightweight trailer they are great!! Grab a second hand trailer I found one in portland. You can unhook it and hand wheel it around and you won't even notice it towing. Give the Hullavator a try but I hated it, and I've been loading Kayaks on rigs and trailer for twenty years.

Get one used for $1000. Carries 4 kayaks. A Hullavator at $500 bucks carries 1 kayak. Cheapest option is to bolt on a Yakima or Thule rack on your roof and make a rear roller out of PVC pipe and foam, then lean your kayak onto the rear roller, climb up your ladder and haul it up. I did this for many years. I kayak all year round so a used kayak rack in roll trailer is worth it for me. Inflatable SUP stand up paddle boards might be ideal for some of you for lakes and rivers. My son loves ours.

When I bought 2 used sea kayaks, I got a free trailer set up with Yakima bars with Yakima Hully rollers and Yakima Mako attachments. The trailer is a Harbor Freight 40" X 48" with a 10' extended tongue installed. My kayaks are 17' 8" and hauling them on the trailer works great. I run the trailer with about 20 psi in the tires so that it does not bounce too much. I also put red flags on the boats and have a lot of high visibility solas reflective tape on the trailer and along the edges of my kayaks. The boats would be very difficult to get on top of the RV.

I picked mine up at Canoecopia which is a paddle sports expo run by Rutabaga Paddle Sports in Madison WI. It is advertised as one of the biggest paddlesports expo in the country. It takes me most of the day to look at everything and I don't have time to see any of the presentations. You can also buy the tape on EBay.

The Solas tape is the brightest reflective tape that I have ever seen. I will be putting some of the red Solas tape on the back of the Toyhouse this spring. When I drive at night I want people to REALLY see the RV and notice that they are catching up to me very quickly.

I don't know about absolute brightest ever. But Wal Mart has reflective white/red tape in the auto section. I used it on my bumper and carrier to help folks see my camper. Worked great and was easy to find.

I didn't say that it was the absolute brightest ever, I said "The Solas tape is the brightest reflective tape that I have ever seen." I have large patches of it on the blades of my kayak paddles and they seem to flash when they reflect sunlight. Hopefully idiots in power boats with too many beers will see me.