Installing new ceiling vent

So, I'm replacing my ceiling vent. The main one with the crank. No replacement vents I could find are the exact size as mine, so I got the one just 1" wider than mine, and figure I'll cut out my roof that much.

But what my "problem" is, is that like all the windows in my Chinook, there is the outer frame on the outside of the vehicle, and that screws together with an inner aluminum frame.

My new vent didn't come with an inner frame. My old one is not quite the right dimensions. Do companies sell the inner frame, too?

Also, the vent came with no instructions. I'm just making sure...

I should cut my new ceiling panel to the size of what is on the very bottom here, under the part with the screw holes, right? The wider part with the screw holes will sit on top of my roof, and the lower part will go into the hole in the roof. Right?

Then I'll just cut a little of the fiberglass shell out? I bought butyl tape.

My camper is a 78 Chinook Newport, and the vent is an Elixer. http://www.shoprvparts.com/product/15851F/elixir-universal-14-vents-and-exit-vents-complete-units.html

The description mentions an "inside flange", but it doesn't really say anything about it in the list of what it comes with...and I have no idea how to use the "garnish".

Obviously I'll have to call them on some of this, but thought I'd see what advice I got here.

post-6535-0-19449600-1369268335_thumb.jp post-6535-0-87140500-1369268419_thumb.jp

You make the hole the right size, attach the vent on the top of the roof with screws and butyl tape. The garnish trim goes up from the inside and is screwed to the roof with 4 simple screws, no tape. The garnish trim can be trimmed if its to tall or you can make a wood spacer to make your roof thick enough to use the stock trim.

If that's where you bought it their website claims all the vents are complete. You need to call. Also the weld on the pic of top section looks not to nice and the edge is bent a little. Maybe you should just return it and get another one

Linda S

Is that a 13x20? This ebay ad tells the size that must be cut to fit it in place. Different maker but I prefer the plastic ones. I installed a metal one on my camper and replaced it within 4 years because it rusted so badly. Didn't leak but looked nasty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Roof-Vent-Escape-Hatch-13-X-20-NEW-/321093781030?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac2ae4626&vxp=mtr#ht_3021wt_934

Thank you! So it screws into the roof? Ok. I haven't taken the old one out yet (FINALLY started getting our spring rains, thank god), so I was just going on how the windows installed, which is that the exterior frame goes around the window, with no screws, and is held in because of the screws going into the interior frame from the inside, if that makes sense...Do the vents normally work different than the windows, or is it just because this is an aftermarket vent that it screws into the roof, instead of screwing together with the inside frame?

I have an email into the place I bought it from, we'll see what they say.

It is 15"x22", cut-out size 17 1/2" x 24 1/2". Im basically going to have to cut my roof about 1" longer, and maybe 1" wider. The metal rusted, eh? Crappy. Maybe not so much an issue in Montana, but still...I don't like that. Thanks for the link.

Yes, it is aluminum.

Good advice, thanks!

Also...no idea how the "garnish" works...I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it looks like I'll need to bend the tabs to get it all to fit together? I'll post a photo...

Not a single line of instructions with this thing...

Yep, same thing as in the photo.

I just took it out so I could take a photo to show you how I would need to bend the tabs to get it to fit together...and figured how it goes together. :) I sort of had it backwards.

Thanks for the help.

I cut out the vent hole for the inside ceiling panel tonight, and will start putting sealant on it tomorrow. There's a possibility that the ceiling could go up this weekend! Especially if the weather holds long enough to get the old vent out and new one in. This was the last piece of the 3-piece ceiling, that I was holding off on because I was going to put the cab-over remodel off till a later date...but realized that all the ceiling panels kind of need to go up at the same time. So money went to a new vent instead of some other stuff, and maybe I'll get this part done first.

No good to have all these good camping weekends going by and not be able to use the Chinook!

Those escape vents are all over the place in size I have run across that too. They are not standard like the little 14X14.

Yep, but I'm actually thankful for that in this case. Those elixir vents are the only ones I could find with a good selection of sizes. I knew it wouldn't fit when I ordered it. It was just the closest I could find to my stock vent, which sat in an opening of something like 16"x24".

• 1 month later...

I finally did this on Sunday.

So...I cut the hole in the roof to the right size (tons of fun in 95* weather with a dull saws-all and fiberglass flying everywhere), put the vent in, drilled holes, took the vent back out, laid down butyl tape, then put the vent back on and screwed it all together.

Am I really done? I've noticed that the grey water tank vent has some white foam or something that goes around the edge, and over the screw tops. Should I do something like that? What is that stuff?

Anyway, just want to make sure my roof doesn't leak.

It is SO nice having a vent in the roof that opens! That's going to save me from a lot of roasting this weekend.

Merle Haggard and Robert Earl Keen and about twenty other bands at a festival this weekend! Great thing, but its just out in an open field with no shade, so open vents will be important.

Zach

That should do it. However, if you really want to add double protection, run a bead of the Dicor EPDM self leveling stuff, and use a small paint brush to make sure its in all the nooks and crannies.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3481

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto