Someone is giving me a 1978 Dolphin - Should I go for it

Well gang, I've been lurking here today and wanted to jump in as I may soon be a owner of a 1978 Toyota Dolphin. I've always kinda liked those; seemed about the right size but here's the back story I hope a few guru tips can steer me on this journey.

A friend has to liquidate his late parents property in the NC mountains. He's giving me a 1978 Dolphin that has not been cranked since 2004. It's 4cyl and 4 or 5spd manual. A bit over 100k mi. So I would think that's not a huge prob getting it running. And gotta flush all the liquids, new filters, take the tanks off a flush etc etc. Of course all new tires gotta be had. brakes, maybe shocks and more.

But here's the main reason he's giving it to me. MOLD inside the cabin and the RV

It would seem taking out most of the interior is not a too complicated process. I got a friend with a small chem company who has some stuff to kill mold. And he's even letting me use his Dodge ram to go get it 350 mi from here. And another friend has a Tow dolly. I would think a normal tow dolly could handle the front weight of a Dolphin.

Well I got a good carport to park it and start the journey. Just would love some input on if this is gonna be a Stephen King movie "Chilluns of the mini RV thing" Or what?

Thanks there might even be sources for most of the interior and other needs. BTW is there a pdf manual out there on these?

Randy in GA I haven't hadda go to marriage counseling in many years but who knows?

And he's even letting me use his Dodge ram to go get it 350 mi from here. And another friend has a Tow dolly. I would think a normal tow dolly could handle the front weight of a Dolphin.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Chlorine will kill the mold. Getting rid of the moisture will be an issue; especially if there is water-soaked rotting wood.

The tow-dolly might be an issue. Most car dollies are usually not rated for a total vehicle weight of more then 3000 lbs. A few HD units are rated for 3600-4000 lbs. I suspect every state requires adequate electric or surge brakes on the dolly. The dollies aren't just rated by the front-axle weight. They are rated by total vehicle weight AND the dolly weight. The HD dollies weigh 1000 lbs. empty.

I saw this one on JAX Craigs. I wonder being a 94 Would it start to have problems with E10 gas. And I would buy a good one in the south, but can't find how to search for these Toyota based vehicles. I tried Dolphin, Sun Breeze, Odyssey, Sun Raider and did not get these Toyo based ones. Meanwhile This list sure has some super helful people on it. I bet Pat Boone would be an evil member. 1994 TOYOTA RV ONLY 20,000 MILES GENERATOR 6 CY SHOWROOM COND. - $1 (ST PETE)

3K83Jb3N35L15F25J5d46ca5d16fee01015d0.jp 3I13Ja3N55Gc5Fb5H1d465c0a706c0bc2141d.jp 3La3J63Nc5Ib5H85J7d46aa81ab1f1ddd1567.jp 3Mb3Ja3N65Ie5Gc5E3d46f5b20dcda7d91ec7.jp
3Mb3Ja3N65Ie5Gc5E3d46f5b20dcda7d91ec7.jp

GULFSREAM ULTRA VERY RARE HIGH END TOYOTA RV, FULLY LOADED, BRAND NEW TIRES, GENERATOR 15 HRS SINCE NEW ALWAYS KEPT INSIDE STORAGE HURRY WONT LAST LONG $14,995 7272883394 MJF

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Edited by randyradio

I own a 1978 Galavan. I completely gutted the inside and started from scratch. If your good with basic construction and take your time you should be fine. Save any old panels to use as a template for new.

Your 20R engine is a workhorse. No computer and minimal smog equipment.

New tires figure 1k. Budget 5-7K for improvements. If you have the time and place to work on it, I say take it. You can always part it out if you decide the projects too big.

I guess I should have stated you should see if you can get it to run first. Then see if it moves. If not, it's probably best to pass.

I saw this one on JAX Craigs. I wonder being a 94 Would it start to have problems with E10 gas. And I would buy a good one in the south, but can't find how to search for these Toyota based vehicles. I tried Dolphin, Sun Breeze, Odyssey, Sun Raider and did not get these Toyo based ones. Meanwhile This list sure has some super helful people on it. I bet Pat Boone would be an evil member. 1994 TOYOTA RV ONLY 20,000 MILES GENERATOR 6 CY SHOWROOM COND. - $1 (ST PETE)

3K83Jb3N35L15F25J5d46ca5d16fee01015d0.jp 3I13Ja3N55Gc5Fb5H1d465c0a706c0bc2141d.jp 3La3J63Nc5Ib5H85J7d46aa81ab1f1ddd1567.jp 3Mb3Ja3N65Ie5Gc5E3d46f5b20dcda7d91ec7.jp
3Mb3Ja3N65Ie5Gc5E3d46f5b20dcda7d91ec7.jp

GULFSREAM ULTRA VERY RARE HIGH END TOYOTA RV, FULLY LOADED, BRAND NEW TIRES, GENERATOR 15 HRS SINCE NEW ALWAYS KEPT INSIDE STORAGE HURRY WONT LAST LONG $14,995 7272883394 MJF

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

10% should not bother it at all it most likely has been running on it for several years.

To search for a toyota RV on craigslist go to RV section and type in Toyota. Usually a few just about anywhere you look. That Gulfstream you posted is pretty high priced. I would keep looking if your not going to go with the 78.

Linda S

Well gang, I've been lurking here today and wanted to jump in as I may soon be a owner of a 1978 Toyota Dolphin. I've always kinda liked those; seemed about the right size but here's the back story I hope a few guru tips can steer me on this journey.

A friend has to liquidate his late parents property in the NC mountains. He's giving me a 1978 Dolphin that has not been cranked since 2004. It's 4cyl and 4 or 5spd manual. A bit over 100k mi. So I would think that's not a huge prob getting it running. And gotta flush all the liquids, new filters, take the tanks off a flush etc etc. Of course all new tires gotta be had. brakes, maybe shocks and more.

But here's the main reason he's giving it to me. MOLD inside the cabin and the RV

It would seem taking out most of the interior is not a too complicated process. I got a friend with a small chem company who has some stuff to kill mold. And he's even letting me use his Dodge ram to go get it 350 mi from here. And another friend has a Tow dolly. I would think a normal tow dolly could handle the front weight of a Dolphin.

Well I got a good carport to park it and start the journey. Just would love some input on if this is gonna be a Stephen King movie "Chilluns of the mini RV thing" Or what?

Thanks there might even be sources for most of the interior and other needs. BTW is there a pdf manual out there on these?

Randy in GA I haven't hadda go to marriage counseling in many years but who knows?

Kind of a double edged sword. It's worth some thing, I guess it boils down to how much you have to put into it. Some woods soak up water like a sponge so a wet spot may extend feet and get into the stringers studs and every thing I would get it home then evaluate every thing before you fall of the edge of the value of a perfect MH.

A friend has to liquidate his late parents property in the NC mountains. He's giving me a 1978 Dolphin that has not been cranked since 2004.

You are talking a total weight (RV and dolly) of 4500-6000 lbs. I'd do it with a good HD dolly IF I wasn't going up and down steep mountain roads. I also wouldn't want to do it on any fast-moving Interstate.

Not being run since 2004 shouldn't be a big issue. If you're luck - with fresh gas and a battery - it might fire right up. 9 year old gas will start to turn to varnish but if the system was air-tight - it might be OK. I just drove my 1979 Datsun 280ZX that has 10 year old gas in it. The gas was dark brown and stunk - but to my suprise - it ran. It has German Jetronic fuel injection which is usually more of a problem then a carb.

You can get six brand new 8 ply rated tires for a total of $500. Not a huge issue. If it is mechanically sound and not rusty - I'd consider the mold a minor issue in the broad scope of things.

One down-side. 1978 is the "old" style of Toyota truck. Small brakes, narrow frame, no power steering, etc. That may or may not matter to you. Nothing wrong with the older style except a bit weaker and cruder. It's basically an early 70s design. If it still has the "1/2 ton" rear - upgrading is more difficult then with a newer mid-80s truck.

To search for a toyota RV on craigslist go to RV section and type in Toyota. Usually a few just about anywhere you look. That Gulfstream you posted is pretty high priced. I would keep looking if your not going to go with the 78.

Linda S

Thanks your search tips worked pretty well and I found several. I think maybe I might go towdolly that 78 back here (390mi ea way) and use it for spare parts or maybe slowly rebuild it as I'm retired.

This is a good chat group it seems and some really good folks on it.

Randy

Randy,

I live in Raleigh NC. If you need any tech advice let me know. Fred