Plumbing problems

First time camping in my new to me 94 Itasca-spirit. When I first attached the hose to the campgound city water, after a while I noticed that the spout for for fresh water was leaking out some water; I thought than when using the city water connection, there is a bypass valve that lets the water go right to the toilet, shower and other sinks bypassing the pump. Did I do something wrong? or is the valve not working properly? I'm a newB with little experience with this type of motorhome, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Do the sinks and toilet not work? If not the valve may be bad if the water stuff works the rubber o ring at the plug in is probably bad. Also check the winterizing valve.

Did you have a pressure regulater on that hose. Possible if not water could have been forced into lines it wouldn't normally go. I never hook up to campground water. Just use my tanks. Unless you have a solid hook up to waste tanks too you can overfill your nasty tanks. You got at least 20 gallons in your fresh tank. Enough to last for days. Just fill when you need it

Linda S

When you said leaking out the external "spout" are you talking about the spout that looks like a "water cooler spout", or the place where you can dump water into the fresh tank?

Actually You shouldn't see water coming out of either one. If the "Spout" has water coming out and it really is turned off, then its bad. and need to be replaced.

post-4544-0-35543600-1365507497_thumb.jp Regardless, water should not be backflowing from the city water line into the fresh tank. Check to see if someone added a valve to fill the fresh tank from the city water line. I did this on mine, see the yellow fill handle in the photo The line I added simply allows water to go around the pump.

There is a backflow valve in the water pump, if water can flow backward then this valve is sticking or faulty. try cycling the pump on and off (with water in the tank)

Its very important to winterize your water system with antifreeze. just a small amount of water trapped in valves and pumps can do damage when it freezes. The antifreeze also coats internal parts and reduces corrosion in these parts.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It was leaking right where the fresh water tank is to be filled from. Once I noticed that, I closed the city water connection, and just used the fresh water that was in that tank. I'm not sure if the tank was winterized, I purchased this Toyota from a lady up in Atlanta Ga. So, I need to go back to the Toyota and check if something was closed, or a valve was added like in the picture. Also, just before I was going to the dump station, I was trying to empty all the nasty tanks to empty the fresh water tank, and was not keeping my eye on the levels, and that's when I notice the water backing up on the shower floor, any how, after the tanks were emptied out, the shower floor was dry. i do need to go and re-check all of the connections on those pipes and see if anything is not working. thank you all for all the hint and answers, you all are very kind.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem... when I turn on the water pump.... water comes out of the fill input on outside....when I capped off the intake hose.... leaks were coming from many different places on the lines inside and fittings! ???? Wow! The pump seems to work good. Water comes out the kitchen sink, shower, and bathroom sink fine!

Any ideas? This is a new rig for me...

the water tank is added by the port on the driver's side. THe city water connection further back. It has a check valve built into it. If you turn on the water pump (not city water hooked up) and water spits out push the check valve with your finger - crud/ sand etc can prevent a seal - under pressure (from the inside via the wate rpump) can blow any crap out of the check valve. Also you can put a cap on it to get a seal.

When the city water is hooked up you do not use the water pump - if you arm it it should not come on anyway. The fresh water tank should not fill from city water.

I have had a 92 itasca (321-rb) & now have a 83 winnie warrior (321-rb). Both work the same way. You can download manual/ schematics from the winnebago website.