First time RV buyer

thollin

Hi.

I'm in the market for an RV as a place to live this summer and then to have for long trips twice a year. This will be my first RV purchase and so I don't really know what to look for when inspecting the vehicle. Currently I'm in touch with someone who is selling a 1984 dolphin with 57,000 miles. They say that everything runs good and there are no mechanical issues and that the living area has no leaks. I'm looking for help from someone who is familiar with this model that can tell me what I need to be looking for before making this purchase. Thanks in advance.

Dolphin owners will be able to tell you more...

I would say "no mechanical problems and no leaks" is pretty much a non-existent state for a 1984 vehicle, unless its recently been fully restored.

So the issues are either "what aren't they telling you" or "what don't they know about" because they aren't informed or very observant?

All vehicles with no issues, when you go visit them, will have issues that the owner starts pointing out, once you're there. "Oh yeah, that leaks a little. Yes, it could use new wheel bearings. Yeah, the brake fluid needs to be flushed. Yeah, it stalls every now and then but always starts right back up" etc.

These aren't deal breakers and a vehicle can be a great deal and reliable with some issues. But expect to start hearing what's wrong with it at some point. And hopefully figure that into your negotiated price.

But I would guess common issues are:

Water damage. Often hidden.

Needing new tires. Shouldn't be more than 5 or so years old, no matter how much tread is left.

Fridge not working on all settings. AC, DC and LP

Rust

Wiring all intact, re wired stuff done correctly

Have them show you all the appliances in action and working. No "the previous owner said the fridge works, but I've never even tried it"

There are a million more things...I didn't even start on the typical mechanical vehicle stuff you'd check out on any used truck...

Zach covered it;

Leaks, look for mushy walls, around the ceiling, aroiund windows, around the entire overhead.

Tires, age is more important than thread.

Full floating rear axle.

appliances work, frig (vehicle must be level), furnace, stove, A/C and Generator, if its equiped.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Check the condition of the frame. Toyota's have thin gage frames and if the vehicle has been in a salt prone area there could be structural issues.

Feel free to check in to this forum. All of us have encountered most any issues you find. Good luck and welcome. Fred

Check around the bed area, very comon leaking area. If the wallpaper is lifted or you can put your finger through the walls... you should probably pass if you aren't handy. Or you could buy a costco canopy and put it under it and let it dry out and then slowly go at it over the summer if you are handy. There is a ton to look at on these.... spend a few hours on this forum and you will get a good understanding of most of the stuff. I'd consider time here a good investment into a future purchase.

A couple of very important things to do when you go look at a RV:

1. Take a detailed checklist with you and actually go through it item by item. Make notes of any problems.

2. Take another person with you that will look at the RV with a critical eye. Not someone how falls in love with it and becomes blind to the faults.

A friend of mine went with me to look at a couple of Toyhouses and I told him that he had absolute veto power on the purchases. After looking at and driving the RV's, we seperated from the owner and discussed the vehicle. On every trip, I had personally decided to pass on buying. The last one I found (and bought) I looked at on my own and then took him with me to look at again before handing over the money.

This always works for me because most people (including me) will develop blinders if they really want something, they will overlook problems and then develop buyer's remorse.

Thanks so much for the responses. One more piece of info that can be beneficial; the unit I'm looking at is listed at $3,500 and is in the southeast so I don't think wintery condition wear is much of a concern. I live in Colorado now but am from SC and plan on driving it back to Colorado to live in for the summer. I'm really excited to be an RV owner and I especially appreciate the response that mentioned not letting my emotions fog me from making a good decision.

My current check list:

Electrical (both while plugged in and with Generator running) : all sockets, appliance, AC unit, lights

Plumbing : toilet, sink

Structural : no mushy walls, no peeling wall paper, water stains, seals on all windows, seals on door, rust

Mechanical : test drive, tires, lights

What do you all feel like is a reasonable amount of wear in any of these areas considering the price?

Thanks again for any continued help.

Unless you have someone local to the rv to check it out I think that is too far to go for an RV that old. Your trusting the owner to be truthful a little too much and so much can happen. Nothing like being broke down a thousand miles from home to ruin your day or month. There are usually plenty of toyhomes that come up for sale in Colorado. When you include the cost of your flight and gas to get home your paying 5 grand for an 84. Too high in my opinion. Don't know where you live in Co but maybe you should check out some closer. No pics on this one but he probably could send you some

http://santafe.craigslist.org/rvs/3699184338.html

The fuel injected engine is much more adaptable to high altitudes than the carb model. The southeast dosn't freeze but it rains a bunch and a bad vent can compromise the whole rig with rot. Phoenix, Las Vegas tons of places hundreds of miles closer with dry climates and lots of campers.

Linda S

When I was looking for a motor home back in 2005, I traveled to 3 states looking at small RVs, most were junk and not Toyota's. I gave up looking for one and a week later I found my Sunrader less than 5 miles from my house. It's an 83 and still runs good however it doesn't get the 20 MPG that the Sante Fe unit gets, but it will when I get closer to selling it. I also found my "new" 1977 GMC Motorhome just a few miles from my home. Moral of this story is: what Linda said.

Allen

83 Sunrader

77 GMC Eleganza ll