Well you didn't post the comparison so I don't know what the opinions were. Fact is 195/75/14 tires that are out there are mostly car tires. They hold less air pressure and they don't have as stiff sidewalls. Not really the best option. Ride is not as smooth either as the 8 ply 185r14. I know because I have the 195/75/14's on my Nissan. Enough load capacity for a 5000 lb Sunrader shorty but not really a full sized toyota rv. It was the only tire I could find on short notice when I picked up my Nissan and had to buy tires to get home. Not the best option. There are 195r14 tires but they will cost you more than the 185r14 and you don't need them

Linda S

this has come up.

for most toyota rigs many 195 75 14 tires would cover the weight, especially the front tires.

When I bought mine it just so happens that hankook ra08 tires happen to be cheaper. So theres no wishfull about it. you could find truck tires in that size tough enough but theres no advantage.

Use caution, I believe the first tire you specified is a passenger car tire (195/75R14).

Truck tires don't use a profile number "75" and will simply be 185R14 or 195R14.

Look for the "LT" on the side wall, or specify 8 ply light truck.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

ok take a look

http://www.sears.com/goodyear-wrangler-ht-tire-lt215-75r15-106q-lr/p-09586242000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

heres a tire. its load range 2000 lbs. so..... it has a higher load range than our tires. its made for a heavier duty use than we use even.

and its a comparable size.

its a truck tire.

truck tires have a profile number.

if the profile size is ommitted all that means ALL THAT MEANS is that the profile is 82%

a tire could be rated for trailers or whatever in fact the most common use for a tire size 185/14 is for trailers so dont ever follow that advice.

youre going to find that 14 inch lt tires in our load range are more expensive than the 185/14s we use.

In fact its my opinion that the 185/14 size is a cheapie fleet size thats its purpose.

It was definitely not standard on any toyota truck. It is used on delivery vans. I dont know the story of why they came to toyota trucks, I honestly believe that in the lawsuit days of 1986 all the developers had to have higher load range tires, and they were the cheapest they could find. I will stick with that story until I hear something that makes sense.

I believe they are the worlds cheapest 14 inch tires that can carry a load of a toyhome. they were previously on vw vanagans and vw lts.

There are at least a couple of suitable (Load Range D) tires available in 195/75R14.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

This size is rated at 1710lb @ 65psi, so lower than the 185R14 Load Range D (!875lb @ 65psi). I don't really see the advantage, though the BFG TA KO does off a bit more 'chunk' than the other offerings, if that's what you want.

Other possibilities (Load Range C?):-

http://www.dunntire.com/products/view/goodyear-wrangler-at-1957514-740837399#specifications

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/michelin-ltx-m-s-lt195-75r14-c-93-90-lrc/150876.ip

Seems the main issue is finding a 14" tire with the HD load capacity, HD sidewalls, AND the proper diameter. VW camper vans and Winnebago Lesharo and Phasars also use HD 14". But diameters vary. My Winne Phasar takes 205-75-14C load-range Ds. Not easy to find at a decent price. Seems the most mainsteam in the 14" size is the 185R-14" like commonly found on Toyota RVs and dually box trucks.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Just got 6 Hankook RA08's through Tire-Easy.com. Ordered Saturday, came Tuesday by UPS, dropped them off at my garage door. Total cost was $ 608.00 with the shipping. No tax. These are 185R14's, with Load range D. 5 of them were manufactured in May 2012, one was manufactured in Dec 2012, so fairly new tires. Now all I need to do is clean and paint my rims, and mount em up!

Really happy with my 185 RA08's, haven't seen any bad comments about them either. They come in both 185-14 and 195-14. Note the larger rolling radius on the 195's. I now wish I had gone with the 195's, but it's not really that much difference.

Use caution, I believe the first tire you specified is a passenger car tire (195/75R14).

Truck tires don't use a profile number "75" and will simply be 185R14 or 195R14.

Look for the "LT" on the side wall, or specify 8 ply light truck.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Not true. My Winnebago uses 8 ply 14" tires that are 205/75-14 HD and are 8 ply truck rated. I've also seen 195-75-14C D range "LT" tires from several makers. Yokohama Y156 LT 195/75-14 RD, Carlisle SureTrail ST195/75 D14, etc.

• 10 years later...

I also have a 1990 Winnebago Warrior that I bought for a song about a week ago. What size tire and make of tire do you use? 

On 4/26/2013 at 9:52 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

attention to those considering other tires - assuming you have duallies like most toys have - there could be a clearance/ interference issue with tires that have different profiles.....