Anyone ever install Extend-a-Stay LP fitting on their toy?

The title says it all. I bought a Camco Extend-A-Stay fitting, off of Amazon. I'd already spoken with tech support at Mr Heater, answers were basically evasive. (too many lawyers)? Fitting that I have says for class A. Looks like it could work if I can remove Acme fitting from unit and connect directly to regulator.

Also, would have to invert unit, will they work upside down.

By the by, this is for a 1987 Itasca with original 20# onboard tank.

lol Last year, had some work done at authorized Winnie dealer in Vaughn, TX; included lp gas system check, Teflon tape on both regulator fittings didn't bother them. Or any of the propane retailers that have sold me gas.

Hi--we have an Itasca Spirit ('92) and installed the Extend-A-Stay just as your described a few years ago. As we full-time, it provides us with the ability to use a portable tank without having to move the rig for propane fills. Works like a champ!

I didn't install the "Extend a Stay" but along those lines I have made a couple "modifications".

Rather than burn thru the 20lb horizontal tank, If I'm parked for any length of time, I connect a 20lb BBQ tank, these are less hassle to fill (or exchange) than the horizontal tank. Basically, I replaced the hose with a longer hose so I can set the 20lb BBQ tank on the ground and the hose will reach it.

LP System Rework

You had mentioned a Mr Buddy. I'm not sure if this is a reference to trying to use it with your current LP system. If it is, I also use my Mr Buddy and have it plumbed into the Toyhouse low pressure system. This mod also required that the Mr Buddy also be modified

Mr Buddy mod to use low pressure

As you can see, the lawyers are probably shaking their heads, but that's never held me back before.

SERIOUSLY - If your not 100% comfortable doing this, and you don't have a good understanding of the risks associated, you would be wiser to not do any of this and stick with what the RV place is willing to do.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

THERE ARE some varitions of that system my catalog shows one system to use with built in tanks. there is another one for pull trailer tanks basckly the type most toy homes use. I HAVE A TEE AND HOSES the set up i use is to run a bbq or camp stove off of a tank connected to the moterhome. havent tried tank to tank use myself

This works for me, I carry a BBQ tank in the cargo box, it is attached with a pigtail to a separate regulator with a gas shut off valve on the bottom, then another hose from the regulator / valve, teed into the gas line for the hot water tank (second photo) the green hose is covering the copper line.

when using the BBQ tank I have another shut of valve for the main tank which I close, (sorry no photo)

post-1246-0-97380000-1359604742_thumb.jp

Ditto to John's words about being 100% comfortable in making changes to your propane system!

post-1246-0-16704000-1359605994_thumb.jp

In the cargo box floor I drilled several holes for ventilation. Mike

Gale & Martha,

A number of years ago, we attempted to 'create' our own Extend-A-Stay, using fittings right off of the small town Ranch 'n' Feed hardware shelf. It didn't take us long before we were becoming quite frustrated with all of the twists & turns & conversions that we were 'designing'. At one point we were thoroughly convinced that it was some kind of government or gas industry conspiracy trying to keep some secret from us so as to defeat our endeavor. We DID NOT succeed and it was probably a good thing. We probably would have ended up blowing up ourselves and the old RV. Now days, we are smarter and do realize that there is very real reasons of 'safety' (and not a secret conspiracy) for each fitting to be properly used. There is also 'correct' pressure regulation to factor into safety. There is flip/flop valves to be used properly and so on...and so on.

The bottom line is, if you are unsure as to what you are doing WITH AN EXPLOSIVE GAS(!), seek help from the experts or go directly to a propane parts and repair distributor. None of us here on this site want to see you and your rig get blown to Smithereens by ignorance. We here at Toyota Motorhomes care about you!

P.S. We welcome you new folks to our micro-mini motorhome site.

-Riverman77

One of the modes I've been thinking about, two BBQ tanks with an auto switchover regulator. There is room in the existing compartment but its not tall enough, Needs to be about 12 inches taller. This would extend up into the closet behind the toilet in my model 900. Also, where the low pressure pipe goes through the bottom of the compartment would need to be relocated to the back center of the compartment. This might be a project for this summer.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the various ideas AND the warm welcome. My only mistake so far is not running my thumb across the POL threads on the main valve end. A sliver of brass in my 'sitting thumb' would have ruined my life and I could have called one of those attorneys that we have too many of. :)

Seriously, I am Not going to install this on my system until I have cleaned up the threads with a jewelers file, also the nose o ring looks like it should be replaced. (This is a new unit!) Took a lot of torque to remove the Acme fitting/adapter from the tee so I can connect directly to the 3/8" line to my regulator; looks like all the fittings were epoxied into the tee.

As the existing fittings are old (1987) and there may have been a few changes since then, I probably won't tackle this project for some time, (empty on board tank of course) I will post before and after pics. once I'm finished.

What's everyone's opinion of having a bbq tank on the back of your rig, like in a cargo box like Mike just talked about? Since mine is missing it's tank that would make my life a WHOLE lot easier than trying to figure out a tank that will fit without putting a large hole in the floor of MY WIFE's (not mine) camper... maybe I can use it to help convince her she doesn't want to take the interstate from South Carolina to Idaho?

Mr Wolfe;

You should have (maybe) a propane compartment that a 20lb horizontal will fit into. If you do, that would be my first option.

Understand the risks of having the LP tank on the rear bumper. I've also seen where people mounted the LP tanks on the back, but a couple feet above the bumper so if there was a minor collision in the rear, it wouldn't involve the LP tank.

Depending on your Toyhouse, you may have a compartment that would hold a 20lb vertical (BBQ tank). If you do this, make sure you replace the door with a vented type.

Don't forget the plumbing. If you locate the tank on the back, you'll need to consider where to mount the regulator, and how to plumb things.

Remember, BOOM. is the operative word.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody, since I'm the one who brought up this topic, be assured that the

'procrastinator extrodinaire' will eventually get the job done and give you'all a full report.

Was in Denver May & June house sitting for friends and went to Triple A (AAA) propane on S. Federal at 285 to fill the onboard tank. When in their store, noticed a lot of RV type gas fittings, so thought that I would ask if they had YELLOW teflon tape, (saw this online a while back, claims to be specifically for gas, oil fittings. "Oh no, we just use regular (white) teflon tape on everything." Did also allow that the inslall a lot of extend a stay fittings.

At the moment we've more pressing issues to deal with, involving attorneys and Courts if you get my drift. ANYONE coming into TEXAS from Colorado be warned: you will be pulled over by a friendly state trooper and searched for 'souvenirs.' By the way, the alleged offence was 'impeding traffic' the minimum speed is 25mph below the posted speed, tho there are no signs to that effect and we were in the slow lane of a four lane highway. Will post this warning elsewhere on this site too.