Replacing the Door on 1988 Odyssey

lordofthecakes

We recently purchased a 1988 22' Odyssey and we wanted to replace the entry door because it is basically a DIY door right now. I can't figure out where to take measurements to see what size door we should get because they don't match up with the sizes we found on Camping World. Does anyone know what the size is for the Odyssey? Thanks!!

We recently purchased a 1988 22' Odyssey and we wanted to replace the entry door because it is basically a DIY door right now. I can't figure out where to take measurements to see what size door we should get because they don't match up with the sizes we found on Camping World. Does anyone know what the size is for the Odyssey? Thanks!!

Doors are measured by actual size of the door itself . . or the complete door and frame assembly that goes by the rough-opening cut into the RV. It depends on who you are buying from and what you want. There are several companies that custom make new RV doors and replicate exactly what you have now. JUST the door and not the frame it is hinged on. These doors are usually custom made to fit your need. The RV parts sellers (not door makers) usually sell new complete door assemblies with perminter frame, storm door, and all. They are measured the by hole in you RV after you've removed all the remants of the old door assembly. Some RV parts sellers also have new doors for sale (just the doors) that are surplus and are JUST the door. Often they are the best deals if you get lucky enough to find one that matches your size. Door sizing on an RV is no different then door sizing on a house. There is "door only" or "pre-hung with frame and hinges."

I got searching awhile ago for a new door (just the door) on an RV with a pop-up roof. It's was 51" tall by 21" wide - a real oddball on a Toyota Chinook. I found a new 21" door that is 60 tall from a horse-trailer. $30 brand new but I had to cut it down to fit. If I had wanted to buy a custom-made new door -it was just as expensive as a standard complete door and frame assembly.

Usually it's just the doors that rot out but often the plastic bushings ware out on the hinge and the doors drop down enough to make the doors not close properly then you are screwed because they can't be replaced. A decent carpenter can rebuild it for you probably for a lot less then a new one. The door on mine was rotted and I rebuilt it so if I can some one that really knows what they are doing should have no issue.. I did use pressure treated wood so it won't ever rot again.