Better MPG - Wouldn't it be nice!

Derek up North

There are thousands of 'apps' for all the 'smart' phones, pads and tablets, including GPSs. Wouldn't it be nice if there was one that would plan your most economical route based not only the distance but also change of elevation, traffic conditions and wind conditions? Or even a GPS where you could tell it to avoid grades above a user defined maximum. 10%? 15% I think you can already input for 'height restrictions' and 'avoid highways/tolls'.

Or maybe it already exists.

I'm pretty sure they make GPS built just for motor homes have that feature. Of course they are 3 times as much as an off the shelf Garmin guess if you have a 300 grand motor home who cares.

Well, the road maps are there and the topographical maps are there. Just needs some number crunching. I don't think my slide-rule is up to the task. Shake that up with online weather and traffic reports. I'm not sure if the authors of an e-book would be up to the task. Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way, too.

GPS, garmin, google maps etc are nice but there is no substitute for a physical atlas or road map when Marshall Law or disaster raise their heads and the interwebs are shut down. When I was younger and formerly had a liberal mindset I threw away a great Atlas my wife bought me for my birthday. I regret that and will be getting one for all my vehicles I think soon enough. You just cannot trust technology to always be there but a trusty road map is and can double as a blanket or fire starter. :)

Also, with a nice ELM 327 (non cloned) and an Iphone or Droid you could be using "Dash Command" or "Torque" apps. The ELM 327 plugs into the OBDII port and sets up a wireless ad hoc network or the blue tooth version (for droid only) you can do all sorts of cool things including get instant MPG, clear limp mode while driving etc.

Wont work on an old non OBDII toy home though.

This might be close depending on what they call their proprietary road data is. Apps are usually pretty cheap too.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/tag/rand-mcnally/

Linda S

I do not even own a gps system. I use maps and I never get lost. I am aiming for those nasty roads cause they are always the most fun.

I know how to have fun with my Garmin GPS if it sends you down a dirt road take it! My wife and I ended up on a logging road in NH just wide enough for the MH great fun for about 15 miles. Next time I think I'll take the Tacoma.

of course there is one very sought after item..no soldering to boards... The zemco DCS 330 driving computer.

these are next to impossible to find but interface into the EFI and add magnets to the wheels or something.

I did see one go on ebay recently for 160+ dollars. basically gives your toy home the same cool MPG computer your exploder has.

I know how to have fun with my Garmin GPS if it sends you down a dirt road take it! My wife and I ended up on a logging road in NH just wide enough for the MH great fun for about 15 miles. Next time I think I'll take the Tacoma.

Funny you mention that , we were out for a drive one Sunday afternoon and it was getting late , so the Mrs tries shorter route ? on the Garmin , so we take the next left it turns into a dirt road with in 1/4 mile thinking ok it will take us over the hill instead around it. approx 5 miles later we are all but scraping the sides of the Toy FJ were in along the road and at one time thought we heard Banjo's playing !! . Next thing ya know we pop back out on the road we turned off not more than 50 yards from we started .. Yeah we now call our Garmin the yyyy ... lol

How about an app that tells you were to buy 100% gasoline, the gasoline with ethanol knocks a good 2 mpg off.

There is an IPhone app called Ethanol Free. It shows your location and the Ethanol Free stations nearby.

I also have Gas Buddy installed to check gas prices.