Personally I think your better off with what you got as hard as the Toy homes work your electric fan would pretty much run full time takes hp to run them too.

I'm thinking of installing an electric cooling fan setup. Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking it may increase MPG and free up a little HP. If you have can you recommend a setup that does'nt cost a fortune? I have an 85 Granville 22RE.

If your engine already has a thermostatic viscous fan clutch and it's working - you won't see enough MPG savings with electric to notice. I've got a truck I drove all one summer with NO fan. It made no observable difference in fuel mileage. It ran just as cool with no fan at highway speeds but heated up fast when at a red light. I finally fixed it.

bad idea on electric fan in this environment (a rig). The Taco crawler and regular truck guys can get away with this because they are cruising at higher speeds and have more airflow and less heat and even then you probably would only see 1 - 2 mpg gain. Stick to your viscous; it will make far more airflow trust me. I work for a company that makes em and these motors get HOT in our rigs. I would also wager an electric fan could cause damage or even get LESS MPG in this case (RV application)

Well thanks for your input but I respectfully disagree. If and when I get around to doing this mod I'll report back with results. I understand that if you put an inadequate fan in there could be problems but if you get a properly rated(CFM) fan it should help. I know that when its hot my fan kicks in alot and that cuts into your available power which affects fuel consumption. If it works other vehicles it will work for these MH's as well if the proper fan is installed. So nobody has actually tried this?

Maybe you should check on the use of electric fans in trucks I think you'll find that they are not used in any thing beyond an SUV. Your ideal is valid but not in some thing that is all ready at max load.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks--got a Hayden 10-" elec. fan I want to install as supplemental cooling--only place for it is in front of the AC condenser, and I will have to carve out a bit of the inside of the truck's plastic grill to fit the 2.5" width at the middle; the fan housing will then rest against the AC condenser, I assume leaving enough clearance to spin freely (instructions say 1" min,though not sure if it is a full inch); instructions also say to but the plastic lock rods through the condenser of radiator, but not both--I will have to go through both, since there is barely an inch bet. the radiator and AC condenser--anyone have any experience with these as supplemental cooling and installing then in such a tight space? This is an "86 Nissan D21