After many years of listening to the entry door on my '85 Dolphin shake, rattle and roll, it was finally time for a rebuild. Actually, when the bottom piece of aluminum trim fell off last Fall, I knew it was time. I didn't realize, though, how rotten the bottom of the door was, and how lightly built the interior framing was. All the joints were held together with only one large staple bridging the joint. The strength of the door came from the exterior and interior panels being glued to the puny framing and styrofoam insulation and then being held together by the perimeter aluminum framing. Funky. Anyway, I've rebuilt the interior framing of the door to a higher standard with glue and screws everywhere. The exterior and interior skin is some ugly so before re-asembling the door, I'm going to hunt around town for something different. Anyone got any ideas for sources of skin material? Its gotta' be thin!

Attached are photos of the old and the new.

post-2678-0-78957100-1357169337_thumb.jppost-2678-0-00337800-1357169355_thumb.jppost-2678-0-01799300-1357169375_thumb.jppost-2678-0-58349300-1357169438_thumb.jp

It's just sheet aluminum I rebuilt the door on mine same thing all the insides were rotten and I dented the panels scrapping the old plywood off. I ripped down pressure treated and made the frame. If there is a metal roofing company any where near you the roof panels come in flat rolls they make the ridges with a machine and cut them to size so you should be able to just buy the flat stuff from them.

After many years of listening to the entry door on my '85 Dolphin shake, rattle and roll, it was finally time for a rebuild. Actually, when the bottom piece of aluminum trim fell off last Fall, I knew it was time. I didn't realize, though, how rotten the bottom of the door was, and how lightly built the interior framing was. All the joints were held together with only one large staple bridging the joint. The strength of the door came from the exterior and interior panels being glued to the puny framing and styrofoam insulation and then being held together by the perimeter aluminum framing. Funky. Anyway, I've rebuilt the interior framing of the door to a higher standard with glue and screws everywhere. The exterior and interior skin is some ugly so before re-asembling the door, I'm going to hunt around town for something different. Anyone got any ideas for sources of skin material? Its gotta' be thin!

Attached are photos of the old and the new.

Nice job.

I've had to do the same with every RV I've ever owned. Just about all had some sort of cheap fiberboard inside the door that rotted out. the door on my Chinook is so bad, I'd love to find a new (or good used) replacement somewhere. The screen door is missing and the sill is gone from the main door. But being a "shorty" due to the pop-up roof - a new door assembly does not seem to be easy to find. 22" wide by 52" high.

metal is probly better a lot of the skins were made of sheet fiberglass . one mager thing is those plastic window frames the outside ones crack on the bottom a lot and water runs down inside the door my door has some damage caused by this. i replaced both of my frames and sealed the window. MY LOCAL RV SHOP SAYS THIS IS A VERY COMMON THING. both bottom corners were split open.