Is the roof aluminum all one piece or interlocking sheets?

84TOYRV

Just wondering if I have to seal anything, besides vents, clearance lights, edging, ect.... Are there interlocking seams that need sealing, on a 84 Dolphin's roof?

If your 84 Dolphin's roof is anything like my 85 Dolphin's roof, the aluminum has some seams in it, but not as many as the sides. They probably didn't leak when the unit was new, but might now. After the first year I had the rig, I put down some goo over all the seams even though they weren't leaking. Over the last several years, I've been spreading that white elastomeric stuff over the whole roof. No leaks at all. Takes two coats a day apart.

John

your best to cover the whole roof in case of seam or hidden pinholes etc my son has a 14 by 60 single wide 1978 he tore the ceiling out because of water damage we could see pinholes through the steel roof from inside.

I have not seen a seam that leaks but I have seen pin holes. I do not understand why they happen I do not know if there is some kind of electrolasis but the rest of the roof was in great shape. I patched with small mound of polyurethane caulk then several coats of elastomeric over whole roof. A year later was still good. Suggested to owner to recoat with elastomeric each year.

• 3 weeks later...

87 Dolphin has joints about every foot-and-a-half. They are easy to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanx for all the help, you guys. I'm trying my best to keep up with all the maintenance, that these vintage rigs require. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Where would be the best place to find this roof coating that I need? Just wondering.... Really anxious to get it done right. Thanx!

Tudy

• 5 months later...

What did you end up using? I'm considering re-caulking my seams with a self leveling product and then covering the entire roof with PRO GUARD Liquid Roof....has anyone used this product?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 21' warrior with aluminum roof panels. At one time the roof was covered with a lot of debris for years. This caused many pin holes in the aluminum. I cleaned off the old caulking & sanded the roof wiped it with lacquer thinner & used calk to fill the larger holes. I then applied rustoleum bed liner a gallon was enough for 2 coats on top of that elastomeric roof coating. This gave the roof back it's waterproof integrity and worked for 3 years unfortunately it did nothing for the structural integrity ! Gravity & the weight of the AC unite won so I am now replacing the roof I will post picks when I'm done. I only wish I owned it sooner. The coating was still intact when I removed the roof.

Where would be the best place to find this roof coating that I need? Just wondering.... Really anxious to get it done right. Thanx!

Tudy

I've been using a product called Ames Snow Seal on the metal roof of my house for years. So as a new owner of a Dolphin, I'm using it on that roof too. It works better than any other of these kinds of products I've tried. Dries fast (multi coats in a single day) and I've never had it split or crack yet. Some of it has been on my house roof for over 10 years. You can get it from Ace Hardware.