Chinook prices - supply and demand?

zero

I've been looking at Toyoto RV prices for a few years here in the north-east. I'm in central NY. They seem to be scarce here as compared to out west and down south. Price here when available seem to be much higher then other places. But maybe I suffer from the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome?

After searching - I got my 1978 Chinook for $500 in Maine. It had come from Louisiana and had only been in Miane for a few months.

It is a beater and I'll spending the winter working on it.

I just noticed another Chinook in PA - about the same distance from me as the one in Miane. On Ebay with offers over $2000 and reserve not met yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Toyota-Chinook-Motorhome-/130818498415?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item1e7563df6f

Hard to figure. I see many that appear to be the same condition out west sell for under $1000. The so-called Chinook "Odyessy" on Ebay from Texas did not even bring $1000. It was a newer truck with better features available then any original Chinook. I say that since the little Chinooks were all based on the old truck chassis - 1978 and older. Coil springs, manual steering, narrow frame, etc.

I'm kind of amazed how this one Chinook in PA has run up so high?

10 years ago I was into diesel RVs and paid little attention to Toyotas. An 80 year old friend of mine had a 21 footer in his field. He'd gotten TWO brand new dually axles for it and wanted to trade me the whole mess for my 1966 Chevy Belair. I kind of wish I'd taken him up on that offer. He had called Toyota AND the RV company and complained about the axle, law-suit, etc. He wound up with two brand new compete dually axles in crates. He died a few years ago and all his stuff went to auction. Oh well.

I know I have said this a million times but I wish someone would drop a VW ALH TDI into one of these things. That or a Merc OM 603/606. the Mercedes would be the ultimate muscle maker if it could be pulled off. It was also designed for rear wheel drive. I often day dream about just chopping out my truck and somehow mating my mercedes into the sunrader. pipe dream I'm sure but still fun.

there it is ... 5 cylinder OM617 turbo diesel in a toyota. Now I am getting excited; but again off topic of chinook prices.

I too noticed when I was sunrader shopping that the Midwest seemed to lack a good supply of reasonably priced toyhomes.

I know I have said this a million times but I wish someone would drop a VW ALH TDI into one of these things. That or a Merc OM 603/606. the Mercedes would be the ultimate muscle maker if it could be pulled off. It was also designed for rear wheel drive. I often day dream about just chopping out my truck and somehow mating my mercedes into the sunrader. pipe dream I'm sure but still fun.

I think a 1.9 W turbo-diesel is too small for a 6000 lb. high-roof motorhome. If I had money to burn - I'd want the 2.5 liter, 5 cylinder long-stroke VW or the 2.7 liter Mercedes Sprinter engine. Both make the same power and torque as a 6.2 liter non-turbo GM diesel. I suspect a 2.5 or 2.7 turbo-diesel in a 21 foot Toyota could squeeze 20 MPG at highway speeds. The cost to do so for now makes it not cost-effective in my opinion. Not unless I stumbled across one for a real cheap price. Maybe 20 years from now? I can't even find a 3.9 Cummins or Isuzu turbo-diesel cheap and they are over 20 years old.

Maybe this would imterest someone. Toyota 4x4 with an Isuzu diesel engine. Lots of issues but parts galore and the engine is good

http://charlestonwv....3407676926.html

Linda S

A Toyota RV with that Isuzu engine would be horribly underpowered. The seller speaks as though those C223 engines are rare and valuable? I find them now and then for $300-$400 if running, and cheaper if condition "unknown." I've got three of them stored in my barn along with a few 1.8s. I have a 1985 mini 4WD Isuzu pickup with the same 2.2 liter diesel engine. Gutless but very reliable. My little 4WD truck has gotten a high around 30 MPG but 27 MPG at highway speed (55 MPH) is more the usual. The Isuzu C223 started life as a gasoline engine and was converted to diesel. Was used in Chevy LUVs, Isuzu P'UPs and Troopers, and a few Chevy S10s (real dogs).

A diesel always has less power then a diesel if they are the same size and aspiration. In addition - unlike a gas engine - you can't lug a diesel too long if it's overworked (like a 2.2 gas Toyota). With a diesel, when lugged the cylinder head temps spike and heads often crack. An underpowered diesel is MUCH worse then an underpowered gas engine. That's why big rigs have exhaust temp gauges (pyrometers).

The Toyota 2.2 gas engine has 95 horse @ 4800 RPM and 122 lbs. of torque @ 2200 RPM.

The Isuzu (C223) 2.2 diesel engine only has 62 horse @ 4200 RPM and 96 lbs. of torque @ 2200 RPM.

There WERE a few turbo 2.2 Isuzus used for a few years and they are the only 2.2s I've seen that were blown to pieces. Seems they liked to throw rods.

Isuzu does make some very rugged diesels from small but heavy trucks. Not the converted gas-engine series. The 3.9 liter Isuzu 4BDIT is a great engine and perfect for a Toyota RV. Just hard to find at a decent price. 110 horse @ 3000 RPM and 232 lbs. torque @ 1800 RPM.