The Best Mouse Trap?

Totem

This thread is to poll our user community on what they use to kill mice.

I have read the thread on repellents and have no interest in those. Call me cruel etc, its ok, but I am in need of some mouse control.

Things I have tried:

Glue traps: these just plain do not work in the cold and the mice in my property are so freakishly smart that they defeat them by paper mache over the glue with bits and pieces of material then eat the 4 seeds out of the middle, crap on the glue and run away. I know they work great in heated environments with Pennsylvania mice but the Michigan mice are far smarter.

Snap traps: I have not tried the traditional mouse traps yet; perhaps I should?

What I have tried is the newer version that are plastic with a long soft spring wrapped around them. They seem to work well; that is until the mouse eats away at it (the mice seem determined to destroy the traps in my home) where by the trap latch gets eat off. So I dont like these even though the work; i had tried these with the notion they were child safe.

Poison sticks: Not sure how well these work; i did put a couple in my boats motor controller bay where I have had 3 years in a row to replace the wire harness after it became a mouse snack.

Electronic I once had a great mousetrap that was essentially a 9v battery taser connected to a steel plate in a small maze. the unit would flash and beep when it got one. Unfortunately it was 25 bucks and on top of that I placed it somewhere and forgot where i put it. Killed a couple BIG mice though.

So what are your favorite traps?

This thread is to poll our user community on what they use to kill mice.

I have read the thread on repellents and have no interest in those. Call me cruel etc, its ok, but I am in need of some mouse control.

Things I have tried:

Glue traps: these just plain do not work in the cold and the mice in my property are so freakishly smart that they defeat them by paper mache over the glue with bits and pieces of material then eat the 4 seeds out of the middle, crap on the glue and run away. I know they work great in heated environments with Pennsylvania mice but the Michigan mice are far smarter.

Snap traps: I have not tried the traditional mouse traps yet; perhaps I should?

What I have tried is the newer version that are plastic with a long soft spring wrapped around them. They seem to work well; that is until the mouse eats away at it (the mice seem determined to destroy the traps in my home) where by the trap latch gets eat off. So I dont like these even though the work; i had tried these with the notion they were child safe.

Poison sticks: Not sure how well these work; i did put a couple in my boats motor controller bay where I have had 3 years in a row to replace the wire harness after it became a mouse snack.

Electronic I once had a great mousetrap that was essentially a 9v battery taser connected to a steel plate in a small maze. the unit would flash and beep when it got one. Unfortunately it was 25 bucks and on top of that I placed it somewhere and forgot where i put it. Killed a couple BIG mice though.

So what are your favorite traps?

We have mice and flying squirrels everywhere. The flying squirrels have been living in our house for at least the past 15 years. We don't want to kill them although I wish they'd live somewhere else. That stops us from using poison.

Outside - we have awful problems with mice getting into all our cars and trucks. In my Subarus that get parked every summer? Every fall when I put them back in service they will have huge mice nests in the heater-blower squirrel cage. It's a fair amount of work, every year, to pull it all apart and fix.

I've found no real favorites. Non of suggested repellents have ever worked for us. In fact - the Irish Spring soap that was supposed to repel them - got eaten by them.

The most reliable catchers have been the good old mechanical mousetraps with either tied-on bait to the trigger or peanut butter. That and a half-full bucket of water. I'm not sure why but they love to crawl on the rim of a bucket and fall in and drown. We left one down our basement for other reasons. A month later I went down there and found 8 dead mice in the water.

fascinating, does the bucket need a climb ramp or ladder? I will try this maybe in our cabin.

We are getting assailed; cars have nests in gloveboxes, attic, boat while stored in back yard etc.

I could care less if I hurt the mice or their feelings at this point. They need to leave and leaving in the trash or toilet is fine by me.

fascinating, does the bucket need a climb ramp or ladder? I will try this maybe in our cabin.

We are getting assailed; cars have nests in gloveboxes, attic, boat while stored in back yard etc.

I could care less if I hurt the mice or their feelings at this point. They need to leave and leaving in the trash or toilet is fine by me.

In our basement we were washing potatoes and putting them up on racks for winter storage. We accidentally left a 5 gallon pail maybe 3/4 full and it did have a board laying on it -serving as a ramp. It got filled with dead mice. You'd think a few might notice all their dead buddies floating around and be more careful? In my work-shop I've got a smaller bucket that always is half full of water. I use it for chilling parts after cutting with a torch or welding. It always had dead mice or chipmunks in it and no ramp.

I also ave a bucket of water in the garage for cooling steel after cutting/welding. I end up with dead mice in it frequently. I use old fashion mouse traps with peanut butter bait. It seems to work pretty good. The bucket of water is not good in the winter here in Wisconsin, they just use it as an ice skating pond 5 months out of the year.

I also ave a bucket of water in the garage for cooling steel after cutting/welding. I end up with dead mice in it frequently. I use old fashion mouse traps with peanut butter bait. It seems to work pretty good. The bucket of water is not good in the winter here in Wisconsin, they just use it as an ice skating pond 5 months out of the year.

I make maple syrup and maybe 1/3 of my sugar woods still uses buckets instead of sap-line. They always have dead mice in them. Maybe that's what gives the old-time flavor to maple syrup done the old fashioned way. Dead mice, wood smoke, and lots of eggs cooked right in the boiling syrup (for snacks when sitting around boiling). The new high-tech syrup done on oil burners and reverse osmosis machines doesn't have the "kick" as the old time syrup.

i like the old time wood board type snap trap peanut butter is a good one. but for a large problem used a lot of decon. WE USED TOO LIVE ON A FARM THE FINAL solution TOO THE MICE BIG GROUND SQUIRRELS and GOLPHORS WAS AN ARMY OF SIX ALL FIXED CATS WE FED THEM WELL AND THEY STILL FOUGHT OVER THEM EVERY DAY THEY LEFT GOLPHOR HEADS END OF PROBLEMS IN BUILDINGS CARS ETC THE ORGINAL TRAP.

I personally like sonic pest devices I use them in my house and RV when it's hooked up keeps out mice, rats, roaches and spiders for the most part. Too bad it doesn't work on 12v.

sonic is a non start; 2 German shepherds... they have LARGE ears.

my new one brought me a squirrel the other day actually; he isn't even 1 yet.

yikes just read the maple syrup comment; that was exceptionally disturbing to me as I loathe corn syrup and spend the extra money on the super tiny glass real maple bottles all the time.

Maybe its the mouse and not the sausage giving that beef with sweet goodness.

a big fat cat. Problem is, the darn cat catches mice outside, then brings them inside to share with me and the wife.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

a big fat cat. Problem is, the darn cat catches mice outside, then brings them inside to share with me and the wife.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Ha! That reminds me of the time my sister's cat brought home a mouse, that he'd caught. He was holding the mouse and wanted in through the patio door. She said, "Your not bringing that thing in here!" So he, promptly, ate the rodent and must have thought, "Oh, yes I am!" :D

through the years, i've had the best luck with the standard snap traps with beef jerky or something that won't come off easy.

Second best would be the sticky traps but like you mentioned might not work as well in the cold and i have seen traces of fur left behind as they escaped.