I have a W50 five speed trans that is missing the shifter. The Aisin W50 5 speed was an option in Toyota 2WD trucks late 70s to early 80s. The standard four speed was usually an L43 Aisin with the side-mounted shift-linkage.

I tried using the shifter from the 4 speed in the 5 speed. It seems to "almost" fit but the lock ring is quite different. Different depth and different OD.

Does anyone know if any other, maybe later shifters will fit this W50? So far I cannot find an auto wrecker who is willing to sell just the shifter.

Might be a good idea to ask if anyone has a lead on one for you at the toyota chinook site. I know your a member there too

Linda S

Yes I will. One problem though is I've never seen a Chinook with the five-speed OD trans (W50). Only the L43 four-speed. I have a shifter for that. I've wondered why they usually only came with 4 speeds? I understand that in a high-roof 18 or 21 footer - power is so lacking that OD would be useless unless the rear axle was a 4.88. But with a Chinook and the 4.10 rear - seems OD would be a nice feature for gas mileage on flat highway runs. I have a 1985 Isuzu diesel mini 4WD P'UP truck in the Toyota size range. It was only available with a 4 speed because Isuzu claimed the 5 speed was too "light duty." I have some farm tractors the same way. That got me wondering if the Toyota 5 speed was also more light duty as compared to the 4 speed. But after some checking, seems not to be the case. I've got a 1979 W50 five speed apart on my bench right now. It's an amazingly overbuilt and heavy transmission. It's more rugged then the four-speed manual OD trans that's in my Chevy diesel plow truck (6.2 liter V8).

i think i might have one out of my w 50 five speed 1977 toyota corona layingout in the shed what year is your trans should fit is it four bolts on the w 50 the front cluster bearing was the weak link they first used the ball bearing same as the four speed with the xtra thrust and all of the xtra shafting of the five speed the ball bearing WAS REPLACED WITH A WIDER STRONGER ROLLOR TYPE BEARING BECAUSE OF FAILUER. MY 1977 CORONA WAS A W50 FIVE SPEED 20 R MAKE SHURE YOU HAVE THE ROLOR BEARING

send pm mesage phone number i will call you no cost to menot for shure just looked will look some more know it has been there.NOTE WAS AN OPTION ON CORONA CARS AND CELICA ALSO DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A TRUCK ALL THREE USED THE 20R AND THE W50 FIVE SPEED

send pm mesage phone number i will call you no cost to menot for shure just looked will look some more know it has been there.NOTE WAS AN OPTION ON CORONA CARS AND CELICA ALSO DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A TRUCK ALL THREE USED THE 20R AND THE W50 FIVE SPEED

Thanks, I will try the PM and see if it works. Or - my web-mail is wrenchalot@yahoo.com

I know the W50 was available in cars and trucks from maybe 1975 up to around 1980. Just can't find one yet.