Using 5th wheel cover for Dolphin?

bboulan

I've been trying to find a convenient, affordable way to cover my dolphin this winter. I live in Idaho so we see quite a bit of precipitation this time of year. I found a 5th wheel cover on Craigslist for $100 good for 20-23' 5th wheels..

Does anyone have any experience with such covers or have a good recommendation?

Some years ago I bought the smallest class "C" cover made and it was too big. It did cover the MH but was on the ground all the way around and froze in the ice. I wonder about a 5th wheel they are pretty high in the front.

This year I bought a class c cover from Ebay for my 18' Sunrader around $100. It too was to large and hung to the ground. The length was good. I thought about cutting 2' off each side and sewing the rough edges.

At the present I am using a silver tarp I bought at HF for $14. Much easier to install and remove.

I wanted to ask a related question to those that use covers... doesn't moisture collect and or freeze underneath the cover causing mold etc? a cover had better be very water proof if its worth a dang or it just may cause more harm than good right? I think I read that someone advocated putting saw horses on the roof to make gravity run off peaks also.

I bought the cheep ebay 23' class "C" cover, it is way too long and hangs on the ground. I just pulled it together under the RV, almost made a bag :)

It was cheep, and i got what i paid for... I'd use it again, but likely will cover it with a tarp also...

100_0684.jpg

100_0685.jpg

I'm Happy with it... the side material is cheep and rips easily on places like the rear bottom corners, the access zippers are basically useless. It did let a lot of dirt through, when it was uncovered it was very dirty... But it keeps it safe and dry from what i could see. It is now parked in my small driveway for the second winter while I work on it so i have only used it that once.

I am a super cheep person. so when I was looking, I could have spent around $400 on a custom unit that would be much better and fit like a glove, or spend around 1/4 of that on this one. It was and easy choice. but some times my cheapness does not payoff. Likely only get two or three more years use from this one before it just does not work right vs a lifetime of use (if not abused) from a well made custom one.

If I were to do it again, I spend more $ and get a better quality one.

Andrew.