Studded tires/chains for RV

bboulan

I plan on using my Dolphin a lot this winter. I live in a cooler climate(Idaho) and plan on taking it on numerous ski trips.

I don't know how it will do on snow and ice? I'm going to get the tires siped but am also wanting to either go with studded tires or chains..

Does anyone have experience with either of these options and if so how has it worked for you and what would you recommend?

Thanks

Bboulan,

I also live in a snowy place (Western Montana) and have occasionally used my '85 Dolphin in the snow. One thing I noticed about traction and braking is that the duals and the weight in the rear are great for traction to get one going but for braking, the Toyhome sucks! The load sensing valve on the rear axle that Toyota installed, thinks (and rightly so) that the truck is heavily loaded and applies maximum braking pressure to the rear wheels even with a fairly light touch on the brake pedal. On snow, or other slippery stuff, this maximum pressure instantly locks up my rear wheels without applying any (or very little) braking to the front wheels resulting in a slide without any control over stopping. I strongly recommend that you try braking on snow somewhere safe like a big parking lot or whatever.

I've never tried studs or snow tires but I did buy a set of chains for the duals one year. Les Schwab was helpful but couldn't find chains that fit the duals. They could only find chains for the individual tires on the rear. I ended up buying a set of chains for each outside dual tire and didn't put anything on the inside dual on either side. The chains helped and the rear duals still locked up but with chains on, they at least slowed me down a bit. I live on a 600 foot long steep driveway that leads to a 3 mile long downhill road to the highway and after sliding slowly but surely sideways at 3 miles an hour a couple of times, I built a pole building this Fall and just parked the thing 'til all the pretty white stuff goes away.

John

I agree with John (Dolphinite) . Easy to get it moving, hard to get it stopped.

I carry chains in the Toyhouse, but haven't used them yet.

Do as Dolphinite says, find a nice slick parking lot and practice with the brakes. You'll be amazed at how well the Toyhouse mimics the the behavior of an Olympic bobsled.

When I'm in traffic, I stay way back, and keep an eye for openings on the right shoulder in case I need to go there if I can't stop.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

So on a steep twisty decline on an icy or snowy day transmission in low(I have an automatic) with chains on the outside duals..would you still see that to be unsafe? Last thing I want is for this thing to be going sideways down a winding road with no guardrails! Man that's a scary thought.

Unsafe is not the correct word.

Knowing and experiencing the stopping behavior will allow you to judge how to operate the Toyhouse safely, regardless if its rain, or snow and ice. Know the limits of the vehicle. This thing is a sled when the roads get slick, it will not stop or handle like my car.

My experience in snow, ice, and blizzards. slow down, front and rear locks up about equally. get a feel for how it behaves when they lock up, then pump the brakes. do not panic, watch for an escape route to the right, get off the brakes (stop sliding) if you need to go for the escape route.

Windshield wipers freeze up, We had to "plunk" the wipers occasionally to clear ice of the blades, open the window, reach out and left the blade as it sweeps back and forth.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Unsafe is not the correct word.

Knowing and experiencing the stopping behavior will allow you to judge how to operate the Toyhouse safely, regardless if its rain, or snow and ice. Know the limits of the vehicle. This thing is a sled when the roads get slick, it will not stop or handle like my car.

My experience in snow, ice, and blizzards. slow down, front and rear locks up about equally. get a feel for how it behaves when they lock up, then pump the brakes. do not panic, watch for an escape route to the right, get off the brakes (stop sliding) if you need to go for the escape route.

Windshield wipers freeze up, We had to "plunk" the wipers occasionally to clear ice of the blades, open the window, reach out and left the blade as it sweeps back and forth.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Definitely. Experience is the best form of learning..I'll do a few runs up to my local ski hill before the season starts and traffic is bad.

If I don't feel comfortable driving it on ice, it's not the end of the world, I'll just take my Tundra. I was def looking forward to going up on a Friday night and being ready to go first thing in the morning for the fresh powder and staying all weekend at the mountain

Bboulan,

Actually, I put the transmission in neutral when going downhill on snow or ice. It seems to give me better control and the rear end doesn't get loose because of the drag of the low gear. You may have a better way, but neutral works for me.

John

I've always known to never go into neutral when going down hills, but it sounds like you have experience and this isn't like driving a truck or car on slick surfaces, so it's worth a try..

About rear brakes locking up, what if I adjust the brake valve and put less on the rear and balance it out more to the front..Wonder if that would reduce rear end sliding out while braking?

Bboulan, there isn't any compromise adjustment for the proportion valve, Leave it at max braking, just be ready for the rears to lock up, (this usually happens anyway on a car, you just never noticed).

Take it camping, just be careful on ice. if able, do a couple test stops at low speed so you can get a feel for it. Leave a lot of extra room in front once you get a feel for how it behaves on ice. Be very alert if your on ice and in heavy traffic. Lot of room, and escape route.

Using the engine braking going downhill is OK, just be aware that the rear end could brake loose and start sliding, the only recovery is to get the tranny in neutral or give it a little gas. If your going fast enough for this to happen, your going WAY TO FAST. My standard rule always applies, never go down a hill any faster than I went up the hill.

Get a set of chains, mount them in the comfort of your driveway so you know they fit and you know how to install them. Carry them with you. if you have problems with rear end sliding, put the chains on, even if they are not required.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Derek, We put good winter wipers on (had to buy the little adapter things to convert the wiper arms so they would accept standard snap on wipers), had plenty of anti freeze washer fluid, even put stuff in there that supposed to help ice from forming on wipers. We were in a blizzard, cruising down the road at a blazing 10 mph, and sometimes that was to fast.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Before you think about studs check with your DMV most states make you take them off after a certain date that would suck having to have two sets of rear tires.

Before you think about studs check with your DMV most states make you take them off after a certain date that would suck having to have two sets of rear tires.

We have till May here in Idaho, but I think I'm just gonna get a good set of chains and go that route..

Bboulan,

I also live in a snowy place (Western Montana) and have occasionally used my '85 Dolphin in the snow. One thing I noticed about traction and braking is that the duals and the weight in the rear are great for traction to get one going but for braking, the Toyhome sucks! The load sensing valve on the rear axle that Toyota installed, thinks (and rightly so) that the truck is heavily loaded and applies maximum braking pressure to the rear wheels even with a fairly light touch on the brake pedal. On snow, or other slippery stuff, this maximum pressure instantly locks up my rear wheels without applying any (or very little) braking to the front wheels resulting in a slide without any control over stopping. I strongly recommend that you try braking on snow somewhere safe like a big parking lot or whatever.

I've never tried studs or snow tires but I did buy a set of chains for the duals one year. Les Schwab was helpful but couldn't find chains that fit the duals. They could only find chains for the individual tires on the rear. I ended up buying a set of chains for each outside dual tire and didn't put anything on the inside dual on either side. The chains helped and the rear duals still locked up but with chains on, they at least slowed me down a bit. I live on a 600 foot long steep driveway that leads to a 3 mile long downhill road to the highway and after sliding slowly but surely sideways at 3 miles an hour a couple of times, I built a pole building this Fall and just parked the thing 'til all the pretty white stuff goes away.

John

It's pretty much the nature of the beast and most rear wheel drives valve or not. Pole barn is a much better plan then a dump truck full of sand.

I've been driving quite a bit on the snow and ice up here in Alaska in my loaded down Toy home. Traction to get moving isn't a problem at all. It's a whole nother' ball game when trying to stop. Stay away from very steep hills with snow that require stopping ON the hill (such as a stop sign in the middle of a steep hill). This is pretty much the only thing you'll have to worry about.

I used to have studded tires every season for 10 years on my Toy pickup, but I didn't put them on my motorhome. I think that even if you have them, there is just too much weight pushing you. Just drive around slow, scan the road WAY ahead and react WAY ahead of time. You'll be just fine and you'll get used to pissing people off & driving very "safe" everywhere. When I get up to VERY steep mountain passes, ESPECIALLY when going down hill, I put a set of chains w/ ice cleats on my front tires and it's ULTIMATE traction... you won't slide anywhere at all, but they're a pain to put on.

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

I've been driving quite a bit on the snow and ice up here in Alaska in my loaded down Toy home. Traction to get moving isn't a problem at all. It's a whole nother' ball game when trying to stop. Stay away from very steep hills with snow that require stopping ON the hill (such as a stop sign in the middle of a steep hill). This is pretty much the only thing you'll have to worry about.

I used to have studded tires every season for 10 years on my Toy pickup, but I didn't put them on my motorhome. I think that even if you have them, there is just too much weight pushing you. Just drive around slow, scan the road WAY ahead and react WAY ahead of time. You'll be just fine and you'll get used to pissing people off & driving very "safe" everywhere. When I get up to VERY steep mountain passes, ESPECIALLY when going down hill, I put a set of chains w/ ice cleats on my front tires and it's ULTIMATE traction... you won't slide anywhere at all, but they're a pain to put on.

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

I got them from Canadian Tire when I was driving through Canada about 8 years ago. You should be able to order them online. Make sure they have the ice cleats, it makes all the difference.

In the US they are called v bar chains.