Engine runs hot

pdqmovie

Hi there ,

I have a 1987 Toyota dolphin motorhome, 4 cyl. I have had this for about 5 yeas now with no poblems. One day it got very hot with the temperature guage going up while climbing a hill but never completely overheated. I took it to my mechanic

to have a new thermostat put in. I went out for a trip and it still did the same thing.

I then changed the radiator to a new one, 3 core. It stayed on 1 / 4 on the temp but on the free way, where there was no stopping or slowing down, I am at a constant speed of 55 to 65, the temp goes up to 3 / 4 of the way again. This was not up a hill or anything, just driving flat on the freeway. When I got off the freeway to a stop, the temp went down to the 1 / 4 mark again. The weather was not real hot, just warm.

This is confusing to me as I am not sure where to go next, get a new fan clutch, maybe a new water pump, or have the engine flushed out.

I just need some help on what to do next.

Thanks

You need to find some one you can trust to have a look, throwing parts at some thing to fix a problem can get expensive fast. Is the radiator plugged up? is the fan clutch bad? maybe there is a head gasket problem and the list goes on. From here it just a guess many good suggestions maybe but with out hands on it's really hard.

Is the temp gauge really telling the truth? A good shop should be able to tell you. The picture shows less then hot the red zone is hot but it may show more then you are used to so find out how hot it really is and go from there.

If you've been driving it for 5 years, then you should have a good feel for whats normal for your truck.

On mine, if there is any load on the engine (uphill, headwind, speeds greater than 55-60, Air temp > 75-80 deg) I will see the temperature go up to the 3/4 mark, similar to what I see in your photo.

In your case - Is the quality of the new three core better than the your original 2 core. Make sure the radiator level is OK, The 4 cylinder should draw coolant into the radiator when it cools down, pop the radiator cap when its cool and make sure it full to the brim.

I assume you put a new cap on when you replaced the radiator.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Oh since we are discussing the engine coolant temperature here my MH's temp will go all the way down to "C" when it's going a long stretch of downhill (for example, I-5 at Siskiyou Summit), then the temperature will get back to normal once it's on level ground, does this happen to you guys?

IF THE FAN CLUTCH SLIPS CAN RUN ABOVE NORMAL I HAD A 20 R CAR THAT WOULD NOT HEAT UP GOOD THE FAN CLUTCH WAS FROZEN SOLID STAYED FULLY LOCKED ALL TIME

Centralman,

the Thermostat should keep this from happening. if the coolant temp gets to low, the thermostat should close down an restrict water to the radiator.

On most cooling systems, the passenger heater bypasses the thermostat, but its not that much that would cause this (I would think).

As 5Toyota - a stuck fan clutch could also aggravate this problem (fan running all the time)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Centralman,

the Thermostat should keep this from happening. if the coolant temp gets to low, the thermostat should close down an restrict water to the radiator.

On most cooling systems, the passenger heater bypasses the thermostat, but its not that much that would cause this (I would think).

As 5Toyota - a stuck fan clutch could also aggravate this problem (fan running all the time)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi John,

Now I kind of know why. When I was trying to solve my engine running hot problem, first I tried to replace the existing thermostat (which is a relatively new one) with the Toyota 2-stage thermostat:

http://4crawler.com/4x4//CheapTricks/index.shtml#Thermostat

When that didn't work I was thinking, hmmm, maybe even the 2 stage thermostat isn't quite good enough, and someone even advised me to remove the thermostat altogether, I then tried the advise mentioned on the link to put back my old thermostat and drilled a couple of holes on them to act as bypass.

Maybe that's the reason why this is happening, and eventually even that didn't work and in the end I replaced the fuel injectors and problem solved.

Thanks John & 5Toyota for their comments.

Is it the original water pump? How often was that coolant flushed? My guess is that the blades on the pump may have broken and the pump can no longer provide sufficient cooling at higher temps. Those pumps aren't that tough to switch out. I would strongly consider it if your coolant was rarely flushed and it is the original pump.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone thanks for the input i think i go with the belts being all replace and fan clutch replace also the quote i got was 240.00 to do all the belts and replace fan clutch and labor is 240.00 is this a good price ??

News belts cost $2 to $3 each for a 2.4 Toyota. Three belts comes to less then $10. New fan cluch is $35. So - $200 labor to spend maybe one hour working on your rig? That's more then many lawyers charge!.

I doubt your fan clutch has anything to do with it unless your machine has air-flow problems. Most "normal" vehicles don't need any fan at all when running down the highway. It's more for when stopped, driving slow, pulling a trailer up a hill, etc. But with a Toyota with an RV stuck onto it? it is not normal and not designed by Toyota, so who knows? Can't hurt to try one I guess.

Couple of questions? Have you checked to make sure the timing isn't too advanced? Also , any chance you've got too much anti-freeze in there? Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is a poor remover of heat. Pure water in a engine gives better cooling but you need the coolant to prevent corrosion (and prevent freezing). Should never be more then 50% mix.

• 3 years later...

This is about the third thread I've found on overheating that ended with no resolution. Im having this exact same problem in my new rig, here is the thread if anyone has any new ideas, but it sounds like an all too common problem that no one is solving.Here is my thread on this issue. Sorry to say, Im disappointed I ever bought this rig.