Covering windows so no one knows you're in the RV

gr8white

Anyone have any suggestions for this? I thought of buying a bunch of sun visors and cutting them to fit the windows perfect and put Velcro straps on them. If I'm boon docking I dont want people to see my lights on. Then I also have the spot between the back and the cab to cover somehow...

Hey I did something that totally works, on accident.

Get a red led bulb. it works for reading.

cant be seen from the outside.

if you mean covering the front window,

a curtain works better.

Dropping a small blanket stuck under the back of cab-over bed will stop both light and serve as a heat/cold barrier, but we also use a reflective and insulating fold-out in the front window cause I already had one that fits, simple and effective but not nearly as effective as what Linda is talking about. I saw one like hers somewhere and thought I'm gonna do that also. It's on the list, trouble is the list keeps getting longer, not shorter even as somethings get done more appear.

I kept my beloved BETSY, a 1971 Dodge B-200 Tradesman van bought new for well over 200,000 miles over 35 years and am aware of the travials of trying to keep older stuff going reliably. This RV is a much harder pull that the van as it's much more complex rig.

vanman

My actual led isn't red its orange or amber.

However my curtains are brown. I can leave the reading light on 24 7 and its not visible outside.

Red might be able to get brighter and still not be seen. I have so many lights too many. There could be 3 red lights to try to function in full stealth and 4 blue for maximum brightness, and 3 warm for natural.

I'm not so keen on staying in a place where you're trying to hide your existance, full time. Id find another spot. I want to be in a place where I'm cool.

But I totally understand too not needing to advertise. I'm setting it up myself to have reading lights at night

I bought a roll of the aluminized insulation that looks like the bubblewrap. I cut pieces that fit into the window frames, no need for valcro. I got it specifically for insulation, but it does block light. I also cut pieces for the roof vents, and the driver and passenger windows, and I use a standard fold up reflector kind for the windshield. I also have a thick curtain that we snap into place between the coach and the truck.

It does a good job of helping keep the sun out, and the cool in.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My Odyssey came with button snaps on the edge of the bed over the cab, I just snap in a blanket size

piece of materal. Also, while driving if we need the A/C or heat on we snap in the material and it allows

the cab to get nice and cool or warm.

I plan on boon docking at alot of wal marts depending where I am on my trip. I dont want people to be able to see that I am in the RV because it just draws attention. I would like to cover the interior windows so no light gets out. I was looking into the RV shades online and no way I am paying that much for blinds. I was thinking about cutting some sun visors that you put on your dash to fit the windows. Any ideas?

I thought this was on another thread. Perhaps not. I bought a 25 ft roll of the aluminized "Bubble wrap" insulation material. Its a little pricy, but does the job better than buying a bunch of windshield reflector shades AND I think its cheaper than buying a bunch of the windshield shades

If you look at the inside of your windows, there is a trough or channel thats maybe 1/2 wide.

I cut the the insulation a little bigger than the window so it can get tucked into the trough. I made four of them to cover the ceiling vents (keeps out light and also insulates from ot or cold) I also cut panels for the trucks driver and passenger windows. a small piece of valcro tape holds these in place. I use a standard ole Windshield shade for the windshield.

Works GREAT for reflecting sun on hot days, but also helps insulate the windows on cold nights. Only takes a minute to pop them into place

When I'm not using them, I pop them out and store them in my walk in closet (the shower) or the large clothes closet.

Check at Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. look back in the insulation department.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It comes in a roll, maybe 3 ft wide (?) by 15 or 25 ft long ???? (can't remember)

It looks like that little bubble wrap stuff you use when shipping packages, but its silver on both sides. I seem to recall it was $25 for the roll, but there is enough there to do all my windows, roof vents, and truck doors.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-80344300-1350559101_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-44672500-1350559111_thumb.jp

that picture is of the 'reflectix'.

You can also use black out curtain liners. They are actually white in color.

Mine came with it and the curtains overlap the windows enough that it appears dark inside even with lights on.

I do put reflectix on the door window, and a drop down from the cabover.

H