The tire shops I visited for new tire quotes say it's absolutely necessary to keep 2 spares with me at all times, 6 and 5 lug spares. I see posts were folks keep only the 5 lug front spare and limp if one of the 6 lug duals blow out.

I have a 22re automatic and I would like to get some weight off the back if I can. Anyone use a 6-5 lug adapter so they could use in 1 spare 6-lug in any situation?

Again my main reason would be weight but could be persuaded to keep the same setup (2-spares) for any reason. Well dicount tire had $100 off for installation of 4 tires. I could get $200 off for 8 but only $100 for 7. Scenarios like that....

I did that for a year until the budget allowed for a second adapter. Then I went 6 lug all the way. Of course I never had a flat.

tire shops recommending that you buy extra tires??? no way...

:greedy:

I just went through this same exercise, did the math and ended up swapping out my 5 lug 1/2 ton hubs to 6 lug 1 ton. They can be had cheap. I believe I documented it pretty well.

for the cost of one adapter you could have 1 ton hubs put on your spindles which incidentally helps the rv track better and adds a little weight up front to help balance as opposed to the aluminum adapters.

other benefits include getting new bearings in there, only having one size of lug nut to keep track of and of course the obvious strength of true steel vs aluminum.

Besides, have a great opportunity while doing this to change your front shocks to Bilsteins if you haven't already.

I just went through this same exercise, did the math and ended up swapping out my 5 lug 1/2 ton hubs to 6 lug 1 ton. They can be had cheap. I believe I documented it pretty well.

Whew! I just read that post, have to digest it again but sounds like an alwful lot of work to get rid of 1 spare tire. To boot I don't think Les Schawb would touch something like that.

I did that for a year until the budget allowed for a second adapter. Then I went 6 lug all the way. Of course I never had a flat.

Sounds like you have mounted these 6-5 lug adapters permanently? Did you have to procure 2 6 lug rims or just 1 and use the spare, i.e. wing it without a spare?;-) I'm leaning towards getting an adapter like you have but keeping it under the bench and ditching the 5 lug spare. Though it would be nice to procure 2 6 lug rims and the adapters, get tires and be done with it.

Where did you get your adapters and how did you determine the correct size?

Whew! I just read that post, have to digest it again but sounds like an alwful lot of work to get rid of 1 spare tire. To boot I don't think Les Schawb would touch something like that.

My mechanic is a Transmission shop; they will do anything from breaks to motor rebuilds and tranny repair.

you will need to buy 1 6 lug rim to mount the existing spare tire on. ultimately you will need to buy 2 more to have a full setup. Boy oh boy though, wait till you see how much they (the adapters) cost.

and by the way; removing a hub from a spindle is done quite easily; they would do this to change rotors anyway on a brake job. any brake guys could do this swap.

Do what you want to do; let us know how it goes and what it costs. If you are looking to get off cheap, I would just carry a spare tire, no rim, and the tools needed to do a red neck tire mount. (you can actually pull tire off a rim and break a bead using your trucks weight). As the tire size is the same between the 6 lug and 5 lug; the rim and hubs are merely a convenience.

Thanks Totem! Red neck tire mount, that made me chuckle....I will think this one over. I was saying to myself "should be simple to get rid of 1 spare". Now I know why there are 2 spares on the back. ;-)

First I bought a single adapter and one 6 lug rim. I kept the adapter inside and had a 6 lug rim with tire mounted on the carrier.

It takes about 5 min to mount the adapter and get its bolts tight, then you need the proper bolts for your style of rim.

Later I found 2 more rims cheap and bought another adapter. It took a while to find the rims because I had the conversion axle and needed a 6 hand hole rim.

There is only one size adapter. I got mine from Custom and Commerical Wheels

BTW even if you do the conversion to a 6 bolt front end there is still an adapter involved. The 6 bolt hub uses a 6 to 6 adapter to get the rim centered on the front.

Sounds like you have mounted these 6-5 lug adapters permanently? Did you have to procure 2 6 lug rims or just 1 and use the spare, i.e. wing it without a spare?;-) I'm leaning towards getting an adapter like you have but keeping it under the bench and ditching the 5 lug spare. Though it would be nice to procure 2 6 lug rims and the adapters, get tires and be done with it.

Where did you get your adapters and how did you determine the correct size?

Thank you WME! I will contact Custom and Commercial Wheels and get an adapter ordered. How does the 6 lug dual rim mount on the adapter, meaning like cup in or cup out?

I took the tire covers off the spares today and what a surprise! The dual spare looks like a vintage original from the 80's. Both spares are dry rotted. I wouldn't try to use them if I had to. Another picture shows the custom tire mounts. I just have enough clearance to move the dual spare mount in the center above the hitch.

Last picture shows the front tires with the chrome lugs. I assume these lugs are too long to used to bolt the adapter onto the hub?

Cheers,

Gary

post-6384-0-98645500-1347577775_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-63856900-1347577806_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-38894600-1347577838_thumb.jp

The rim goes opposite the rear outer.

You know...I'm seriously thinking of running without spares. I see other folks pictures out there travelling without any spares. Too, like I'm gonna jack this up to change a dual on the side of the highway or even a local road would is a scary thought in itself.

You may have a couple $25 wheels show up here. ;-)

Good luck crossing certain states like the western side of Nebraska etc. No cell phone, no city for 66 miles in either direction etc. If you plan on always being within earshot of cell towers then sure.

after all you have a fridge full of beer and food, a comfy couch etc. I can tell you now though after the Yellowstone trip that the last thing I would want to have happen would be a flat out there. Sure you could flag someone down and make it become thier problem, but you just might be waiting a while. If I didn't have my wife, shep and two kids with me and was a solo flier I would have no qualms about riding no spares. None. But would I change a dually in the desert with them on board? you betcha; I fear the wife's shrewing far more than I fear death in the desert.

Wy with out a spare is not a good idea.

redneck spare and tire change strategy all the way; best of both worlds; no expense on new rims and gives you something to work on while the buzzards circle over top of your rig and keeps you out of the wife's shouting distance. Plus the tire might catch on fire and help signal for distress

I hear you Totem! Even with spares what are the chances of being on a nice level surface and being safe from moving traffic? Yeah too, with our vintage homes anything can go on these bad boys and we'd be the same position even with spares. If it comes down too long trips I would definitely plan on doing the spare. Not only the spare but a spare alternator, starter, etc...

And I agree, the wife's shear scream is worse than death at my house too. ;-)

no expense on new rims and gives you something to work on while the buzzards circle over top of your rig and keeps you out of the wife's shouting distance. Plus the tire might catch on fire and help signal for distress

Now that is funny! That would make for a good horror movie!

I've heard people running without spares. Probably get away with it if you have the 6 lug all the way around. If you get a front flat, take one of the tires off the dully.

I like running with a spare. According to Murphys Law, If I carry a spare, I'll never get a flat. If I don't carry a spare, I'll get 14 flats in a row.

On our Alaska trip, I carried two spares, didn't need either one. One was mounted on the back, the other was tied down on the roof.

(I also carry a patch kit and tire pump)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

No spare for me, not on my motorcycle, my sporty BMW, my pickup nor my RV. Instead I have a tire plug kit, a little compressor and fix-a-flat. Some don't like plugged tires but those new mushroom plugs are secure indeed. I have 4 in my cbx tire, one in pickup, no problem. Just pull the nail, shoot in the plug, and inflate. Won't work for sidewalls but those are very rare. The fix-a-flat is only for real emergencies.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Now you're talking!!! Thanks Sunnynshare for the tip! I will use this and Totem's redneck tire procedure. Keep a rimless tire on top, that should cover any side wall issues, pretty much should cover the whole enchilada.

No spare for me, not on my motorcycle, my sporty BMW, my pickup nor my RV. Instead I have a tire plug kit, a little compressor and fix-a-flat. Some don't like plugged tires but those new mushroom plugs are secure indeed. I have 4 in my cbx tire, one in pickup, no problem. Just pull the nail, shoot in the plug, and inflate. Won't work for sidewalls but those are very rare. The fix-a-flat is only for real emergencies.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1