Greetings - a bit new to all this and asking for buyer's advice

scrapper

Hello, Peter here. I'm from Louisiana and I've always wanted to get back into RV's ever since being a kid in the family pop-up through the 90s and being envious of those folks with their hardsides and indoor toilets.

My situation - this fall my graduate school starts and thanks to the wonders of wireless internet, online classes, and a desire to escape my many siblings at the family house, I'm looking at RV's. One that won't break the bank, will be comfortable enough to live in for one guy, and gets decent gas mileage.

Both are '86 Dolphin's.

Exhibit A:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/rvs/3183701273.html

Seems very lived in, the seller informed me they traveled in it last month and that it has 155k miles on it. The transmission is a standard and the title is clean. I think I can get them to sell it for around 2500.

Exhibit B:

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/rvs/3141443581.html

Pretty much what the ad states, the main attractiveness being the lower mileage (76K) and new tires. Interior looks older. Will be chatting with the owner tomorrow.

I know to look for leaks, make sure everything works, and check if the rear axle was replaced.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

they are essentially tthe same thing

the first one is the dolphin 300. custom painted all in white over the fake wood grain.

rear kitchen and bath.

the 2nd one is the dolphin 500, rear dinette. it has a big windoow in the back, actually functional while driving. I loved that, I have a 300 and I used to have a 500.

Other than thhat its all the same stuff in a different place. the 300 has the more convenient foldin sofa and chairs.

If the first one is manual, I have found that in 86, the engine will be the carburated 22r, and that the otheer one is the 22re with the auto.

All things considered Id take the 22re with the auto over the 22r with the manual. But on the other hand if its really the 22re with the manual Id take that as sort of rare and probably the best mileage and durability.

beyond that those are exactly the same thing.

I like the one with the custom inside paint and the microwave a little better for the looks but for me the only real difference between these two is it a 22re with 15 more hp? Not positive but I believe by what you said the 2nd one is better in the most important area, also it has lower mileage.

so all of that Id say its a toss up.

it looks to me like the 2nd ones air bags are blown.

an 86 dolphin comes with air bags so take a trip to the local tire store in the test drive and ask them to fill them up and see if they work.

There are usually alot of these for sale, different makes and layouts. I agree that the airbags look blown on number 2, and it concerns me that none of the photos in exhibit A show the rear of the RV, cant see if they are blown in that one, or what shape the wheels or axle are in. I dont see an A/C unit on Exhibit A either, being there in Lousiana, I would think that would be needed with the summer heat and humidity? My best advice I guess is not rushing into buying the first one or two you see, unless it happens to be all sound. Use your good judgement, and insure that it's tight, sealed and the mechanics and components are sound all around. Where it comes to the interior, one can always make it their own, or refurbish that as you go if needed.

I would have a close look at both #1 looks like better care has been taken of it not sure what Derek sees but do have a close look at the front. #2 definitely has an issue with the rear suspension air bags, springs etc. and the picture is not good enough to see the rear but it looks to me to be a 5 bolt wheel setup. They are not yet an endangered species so there are plenty to go around keep looking and you'll find the one for you it's nice to have a few choices. Finding a perfect 25-30 year old MH is going to be hard but part of the fun with a Toy Home is making it "yours"

#1 definitely had/has issues in the bunk area. The front window in bunk, doesn't look to be sealed well. The outside of bunk has had some repairs. There appears to be a dorm fridge installed in the kitchen area. Mine is a 300 model, too, so I noticed that. The stick is nice to have, but Im afraid that this one has coach issues.

#2 definately has airbag issues. I noticed that they have an innerspring mattress over the bunk mattress. Hmm... There goes the headroom. ;) If this has the HD axel, it -might- be the best of the two. There's a lot to check over, first, though. Definitely check them out. But, as was mentioned, earlier, don't be too hasty. :)

Heres a neat little 18 foot Sunrader in Mandeville, Louisiana, United States. It is listed on an eBay auction and it's listed as a BUY NOW price of only 2800.00. A very good price for a Sunrader. It states it only has the 5 lug rims, but being a small 18 footer you might be ok? Worth a look, Sunraders are a very good home, and most of the leak concerns are eleminated. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251134678382

Thanks for all the replies guys! I didn't know to look for most of that stuff. Unfortunately the better looking second RV owner disappeared on me, but I should check out the first this weekend.

And yes, I will keep my mind open and not rush into buying one of them. It is better to wait and get a good deal that works. Learned my lesson on that dirtbike I rebuilt and then promptly drove through the neighbor's fence because I attached the throttle cable wrong. Mechanical work is not my forte.

Too bad you couldent have jumped on that Sunrader for 2600.00, as it sold quickly. Are you still wanting ideas and future findings from us in locating some Toyhomes Scrapper?

I emailed the owner to go by and check it out yesterday, but the Sunrader was sold before he replied back. I'll probably be kicking myself over it.

I appreciate it, and I'm getting better at scouring craigslist and ebay. If you happen across a good one I will definitely give it a look. The most recent one I'm trying to research and get in touch with is a '92 Itasca for 3800. The ad is loose on details, so once I get in touch with the guy I'll post more.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/rvs/3222213431.html

I emailed the owner to go by and check it out yesterday, but the Sunrader was sold before he replied back. I'll probably be kicking myself over it.

I appreciate it, and I'm getting better at scouring craigslist and ebay. If you happen across a good one I will definitely give it a look. The most recent one I'm trying to research and get in touch with is a '92 Itasca for 3800. The ad is loose on details, so once I get in touch with the guy I'll post more.

http://gulfport.crai...3222213431.html

Does look good but it has 250,000 miles on it. Might not be a good idea if you want it to run much longer

Linda

Sounds 100% like a scam. Anticipate a reply saying that they're overseas, the Itasca is loaded in a shipping container far from you and that the bargain price happens to include FREE shipping to your door. DO NOT SEND MONEY. Greed often stops people from thinking straight!!

Read the Thread about 'Seabreeze Scam'.

Edit: Sounds like a scam except that the seller gives a phone number. Most unusual, though it could be a 'throw away' cell phone.

Linda - I'm mostly looking for a vehicle that will last at least 2 years. And I can't view the speedometer, where is the 250k number from?

And Derek, thanks, I'm checking out that thread. And I never spend that kind of money if I cannot meet the owner and inspect the vehicle first. That was the reason why I didn't jump on the Sunrader earlier, I hadn't been able to drive over and check it out.

I love that itasca.

However if its real I would immediately flip it.

Put it on ebay fr 8k

all things considered an 85 toyhome is actually better than a 92 toyhome. except for the point that its been here on earth 7 more years.

The 22re is better than the 6 cyl Better gas mileage and its normally lighter.

the 1 ton front end people put as a plus but its actually un necessary and weighs more. The 1 ton rear and 1/2 ton front is actually perfect.

I do love the auto trans shifter on the tree, and the nicer rv parts and exterior in vinyl. But Id but it, sell it, and then buy an 80s toyhome and finance a road trip to montreal.

ps. i love that it has 250,000 miles on it. that shows that its always been moving as opposed to sitting.

however that really messes up its resale value because almost all toyhomes have 150k and under.

anyhow if it has no major mechanical failures that is a steal.

whether its really worth 10k or 6k is debatable but its surely worth more than 4k even for a quick flip.

get there with the cash

if youre keeping it get ready for the toyota v6 maintenance of the timing belt and valves.

that particular model is a good candidate for just switching in a 3.4 from a 4 runner. Then youd really have the ultimate toyhome.

It does have the rear bath set up with the shower stall. I hate that layout personally but because its the least common layout it is actually the most desirable used.

I cannot even understand that layout with the window so people can watch you poop.

My favorite layout is the rear dinnette or bedroom. If two beds are being used put them as far from eachother as possible so you dont hear them snore. wake up next to the biggest window with sunlight.

Hey Scrapper, how much is in your budget, meaning the most you want to spend, and how far will you travel to get one? it might help us looking around for ya to know these particulars. Happy hunting!

to have been on the road for that many miles it must have been taken very good care of. probably belts changed a few times, valves done, brakes, water pump etc. if the seller has records it could be that many things have actually many fewer miles than the speedometer. i think it would be worth looking at.

Actually that 1992 one with 250k miles was bought by a guy in Louisiana, who then stuck it on craigslist but added $1000 to the original price. Some people...

It looks like we'll be having a hurricane very soon down here, so I'm suspending my search for a few weeks. We usually lose power for a week or two.

Actually that 1992 one with 250k miles was bought by a guy in Louisiana, who then stuck it on craigslist but added $1000 to the original price. Some people...

It looks like we'll be having a hurricane very soon down here, so I'm suspending my search for a few weeks. We usually lose power for a week or two.

Too bad something didnt come available, having a motorhome to drive north and stay in till the potential mayhem subsides, or till the power returns could have been a good asset. Good luck to you, and wishes for a safe outcome from the storm.

well id worry about why he wants to sell it so quickly, and also mark it up so little.

Like I said I would sell it for 8k bottom line. I buy and sell cars and I sell cheap. I think at 5k its one of the best deals ive seen im just wary about a problem now.

itasca is one of the best makes as far as interior quality to me.

i found the ad its now asking 4500 so 700 up/

http://gulfport.crai...3229083254.html

jump on it id say. I know I can get 5000 for my 85 in the summer I wish I could trade up.

even though technically its a trade down, more mileage, less reliable engine that interior and exterior looks a bit more minty.

I like it I like high miles

i dislike the rear bath layout though hate that. bc i dont sleep in the overhead and i dont use the bathroom that means it has a small bed next to the oven for me and the whole rear is a storage room.