Bought '85 Dolphin with 24000 miles need help

bobar

i was uneducated about these rv's after reading post on site learned not best thing to do buying low mileage. i had to put front brakes on it. it seems to run good but think i should replace back brakes? other issues i know of onan 28 micro gen will not stay running and leak in tolet line where atttaches to tank and i think needs new tolet does any one know where to get one.

Bobar,

I also have an '85 Dolphin. I've owned it for over 15 years so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Mine doesn't have a generator so I can't comment on your generator problem, but mine does have a toilet. Its one of the lightweight, plastic things and the seal in the toilet bowl is finally wearing out. Is this the problem you're having with yours? Rebuild kits are available for this toilet for less than a new toilet but I'm going to get a new porcelain model for mine. They run about $230.00 at my local RV supply store. You can get the rebuild kit for yours on line or any RV supply store will carry new toilets. Once you have the water line unhooked on yours, there are a couple of bolts to remove and the toilet should just pull up and out. You'll have to remove the toilet to install the rebuild kit if that's your problem.

Your back brakes should at least be checked, but once you have the axle opened up, you might as well replace the rear brakes and seals. Do you have the full floating, one-ton axle? You can tell if you do because the rear axle will have six lug nuts and a large hub protruding through the center of the wheel. If you don't have the one ton axle, that would be the first priority on the fix-it list.

John

Almost all Dolphins were upgraded with the full floating axle. If yours was not it's kind of a super drag. prone to breaking. Try to post a picture of yours and we can tell you if it's the good one or not.

LS

What we need to see is the outside of the wheel with no covers on it. The hub is what tells what axle is between them

If you have a generator I'll assume it's 21 foot if you have a 5 bolt wheel it would be wise to think about a replacement. The axles actually snapped where the hub meets the bearing and the wheels comes off brake drum and all not a good thing. Your toilet is fixable the flush valve can be removed if you are good with a mirror and hand tools it's sort of toilet hugging drunk style little tight in there but it can be done. The gen set can be many possible problems most likely a gummy carb from lack of use good little generator well worth fixing. On the backing plate for the rear breaks there is a round rubber plug on the outside edge if you remove it you can see the brake shoe and lining it will give you a pretty good ideal how much lining is left, With that low mileage they most likely are fine breaks feel OK?

As stated, yes, if ya have them apart, I would go ahead and have rear brakes done, and greased. if it has been sitting for a long time, the pads might look good, but weather and temperature fluxes over the years can deteriorate the linings. I have a drawing as a close example of the rear axle hubs to determine which one you have. If you don’t have the floating axle, you need to get one, as the failure could be catastrophic. If you need one, I have a post here where someone was selling a floating axle for $500.00, and is an acquaintance of Linda S. from here in the forum, but not sure if it's still available:

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/pts/3110173399.html

post-5603-0-95734700-1344989936_thumb.jp

i was uneducated about these rv's after reading post on site learned not best thing to do buying low mileage. i had to put front brakes on it. it seems to run good but think i should replace back brakes? other issues i know of onan 28 micro gen will not stay running and leak in tolet line where atttaches to tank and i think needs new tolet does any one know where to get one.

I just realized what motorhome you bought and why the axle wasn't upgraded. You bought a Four Seasons rv not a Dolphin. Around Jonesboro Arkansas right. It has the rear kitchen and bath so a lot of weight back there. You really need to install a new axle for your safety. You can find them near you by looking on www.car-part.com . Don't look for your year. You need to look for 87 to 93 because that is the years the full floater was available. You will need the dually wheels too. Ones on yours won't fit. It was that cheap for a reason. it was also posted on ebay several times.

LS

I have a 85 dolphin thats really a dolphin with the rear bathroom.

it has the 6 lug duallies and lt tires.

I had a 21 ft 79 dolphin 500 also really a dolphin and it had the 5 lug fake duallies and I dumped it.

I think thats the safest bet, its a good time to sell them and odds are you can get one for what you sell it for.

I remember when I first came here everyone jumped on my case about it and I thought, well its 30 years old and its still going.

Only I never said that, because when I looked at one of the wheels it was slighlty bent.

I took it on a trip no problems at all but I just knew I would rarely take it on a trip it would make me nervous, and on top of that it needed a new rear end anyway even if you think 5 bolt is enough cause this one was bent.

It had been sold off season in oregon for 1700$, and then sold to me for 300$. I fixed it up sold it for 2900 and bought a real one that i can just take off in.

for a non traveling toyhome, thatd be fine. But if you arent traveling sell it anyway, someone wants it and get a class A

i found a 89 or 92 axel for my rv the man said they have a 4.30 gear ratio will these work for my rv.

Yes that is fine, probably a little better than the 4.10 that is the standard. Have you seen them and confirmed that they have 6 lugs and the protruding center hub

LS

no they will have to be shipped from out of state however he said that they had the protruding center. did they make any other kind in a 89 or 92 model?

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP

See if you can get a picture before they ship. Everyone has a camera in their cel phone. Who pays if it arrives and it's wrong?

If it's a 1987+ Dual Rear Wheel axle, it's good. If you can get the 'Axle Code' from the vehicle it came off, you'll know the ratio.

i would like to know the advantages of the 4.3 over the 4.1.

Very little difference (~5%) between the two. Slightly better acceleration (theoretically) but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

i have and they say they can get one for 1100.00 my local salvage yard has access to the same places and said he could get for 700.00 however every time he checks with some one who said they had one it turns out they have already scraped it. I just found apost for one in calafornia for 500 but i am in arkansas so i am going to talk to my salvage man and see if he has any connections for shipping it from there.

I've posted this one for you above, they want 500.00 for it, and it looks as if it is still available on craigs list? it's in California, but even if you had it shipped freight, you could get it for less than 800.00 total I would thing with the shipping. I believe Linda S. is familiar with who the seller is. Good luck, and will keep looking, these are rare. Maybe look for Salvage sites that have old R.V's.

http://palmsprings.c...3110173399.html

Just a shot in the dark, but I found a whole salvage Toyota Winnebago that has the rear end in it, and a bunch of other stuff one might be able to canabalize too boot. The starting bid is 700.00, with no bids so far. I realize it is in California, but maybe one could dolly it back?

http://www.carfrom.us/LQ_1988_TOYOTA_MOTORHOME_46972291

Look it over, if its off the truck, I'd remove the pumpkin cover and check the differential gears, drain the oil and look to see there isnt alot of shaved metal fragments in the oil and inside the pumpkin. If good, I'd change the seals, put on new brakes, use the oportunity to change the leaf springs if needed, as well as the rear shocks.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my axle and every thing looks like it will match up however there is an electrical connection on the yoke end I think it is a hookup for low and high range gears. Will this automatically be in high gear or will I have to change it?

Thanks,

Bob

There should be a fairly hefty motor that goes with it if it's a two speed and I doubt you'll be able to get it under your Toyota two speeds are for pretty good sized trucks. It maybe a sensor for anti lock breaks.

Bob,

When I first bought a toyhome, I was very skeptical about others going through the trouble of changing their rear ends to a lower gear, but, I have come to the conclusion that it is worthwhile, for a few reasons.

The overdrive in the automatic is WAY over! This makes it pretty much unusable unless you are going downhill or have a nice tailwind. Many owners just leave OD permanently off for this reason. This means you end up spinning pretty high revs in 3rd gear on the highway. Going to a lower rear end makes that overdrive gear much more usable. The result is you end up spinning fewer revs at cruising speed even you have lower gears.

There is another situation where it is nice, climbing long mountain grades. Most of these grades are such that you can climb them fine in first, but it falls on its face in 2nd because there is a pretty big gap between the two gears. Having that lower rear end effectively makes the gears closer to each other and can result in pulling the next gear going up hill. It's pretty much the same situation as highway cruising, just at lower speeds/gears.

As to whether or not it is worthwhile, it depends. What drivetrain do you have? Do you have a cheap replacement available and the ability to put it in?

I believe the 22R - A43D benefits the most. If you have the 22R 4 speed stick, don't bother. 4th gear is not OD, making it quite usable as is. The V-6 auto would likely benefit, but probably not as much. It has a little better low end grunt and a tranny less susceptible to cooking itself.

If you have to pay someone to do it, it is not worthwhile, IMO, unless you are doing an awful lot of driving.

What our toyhomes really need is one of those newfangled 8 speed autos out of a BMW.

• 2 weeks later...