This Rig is SWEET

Totem

BufTooth, I agree - I was thinking at least 6,000 empty (might even be 6,500).

I'd be willing to bet the majority of these things weigh in between 6,000 and 7,000 when they're on the road heading to the camp site.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

the head smack from the ceiling crossbeam might hurt but man the views, the skylight; I love that Table in particular. the doweled Douglass fir floors; He implied the original paneling was replaced with the wood; so remember, weight was removed before weight was added. Carpet and original paneling do indeed have weight. My guess is 200 Lbs tops of material extra after subtracting OEM stuff. My vote; 6800 lbs at half load.

My favorite modification; Thermostat in the attic Bed wall. no more getting down to change temp.

I want to do hardwood flooring on mine.

I was suppoosed to do that when i was in san jose but i didnt have time.

the materials are dirt cheap down there

I would like a skylight as well. some sort of moon roof sized thing perhaps an actual car moonroof.

the america looks like its about 23 feet long.

from the outside it looks like the roof is almoost a foot taller than my dolphin based on the door height.

just to throw that with what everyone is saying it weighs. Also it has a v6 and a auto trans. it could weigh like almost 7000 pounds before wood interior ( which might weigh a couple hundred pounds it doesnt look heavy to me

it looks wider too.

I

To me it looks like it uses parts from a van based class c, and then a custom cab area to connect it to the toyota truck. Its big

I love the custom work, and the obvious pride they took in doing it. We make them our own, and any cost to someone puts into their TOY I guess is subjective to what one plans to do with it. Investment to me is, I don't ever plan on selling mine so I wont ever have any expectations to getting any kind of return, other than enjoying it till the day I physically cant anymore that is. Nice share!

I dnt want to sell mine ever but I could sell it and get a better one. Thats the only hustle I would pull, get a newer sunrader 18 footer

Thats cool, getting where ya want, how ya want. I dont wanna trade up, as I got mine just about how I want it mechanically, and functionaly. I will be glad when I have got it all done, and use it till I kick the bucket.

Ha ya I put that in my craigslist ads when I sell cars

This car will last longer than you will, especially if youre already old.

I think this one I have now, 87k miles should last at least 10 years maybe 15-20 but Im living longer than that personally.

And 20 years from now a car that only gets 15 mpg may be unfeasable, Ill have something way better by then. But Id like to be a full time rver for most of the rest of my life.

If that rig was 8000 buy it now you would be seeing it at the next midwest rally and mine would be for sale....im with david, no desire to hustle up unless its for this one.. Hmmmm.... Automotive moonroof simple, powered, effective, still vents... Wonder how hard would it be to install

Ha I dont know but if you do it remember i invented it.

No seriously the best would be the entire glass moonroof called a panoramic moonroof like is in the kia optima

If it can be pried from a junkyard car

im sure theres aftermarket ones too.

a moonroof uses the exact same technology as a power window, its 2 metal wires attached to a window or plate, but its not on a regulator its guided by 2 grooves on its edges.

• 3 weeks later...

Just weighed Rocket for the first time ever, at flying J on a CAT certified scale. Full tank of gas, fully geared, German Shepherd and both electric scooters. No humans were on board. 6320 lbs. With family 6790 lbs. WOW my guess of 6800 was pretty close!

Just weighed Rocket for the first time ever, at flying J on a CAT certified scale. Full tank of gas, fully geared, German Shepherd and both electric scooters. No humans were on board. 6320 lbs. With family 6790 lbs. WOW my guess of 6800 was pretty close!

So your driving around 1200lbs over the gross vehicle weight rating? What other modifications have you done. My 18 ft Sunrader weighs in at less than 5000 lbs and I can't believe 3 more feet adds that much to the weight. How much do those scooters weigh. Or is that a 500 lb dog. Doesn't sound safe to me.

Linda S

1 ton rear and brakes, 1 ton front hubs and brakes. Scoots @ 85 lbs each x 2 plus a harbor freight cargo carrier and bumper mounted hitch reciever along with a large whale tail welded towing ball thing .My weight is almost exactly like that of the Americana in this thread, based on the "what does your rig weigh" forum entry. My stats: front axle 1700, rear 4620. She has junk in the trunk to be sure. But let's not kid ourselves, same parts as any other 22re. They jack up the GVWR to accommodate the v6 on the newer builds. I read some guys 18 foot sunrader came in at 6800??? By that standard I'm not fat just big boned as Garfield would say. Besides put 20,000 miles on her like this. Hard braking situations a plenty. Always ok. Always 55-60 tops unless down hill.

Ha ya I put that in my craigslist ads when I sell cars

This car will last longer than you will, especially if youre already old.

I think this one I have now, 87k miles should last at least 10 years maybe 15-20 but Im living longer than that personally.

And 20 years from now a car that only gets 15 mpg may be unfeasable, Ill have something way better by then. But Id like to be a full time rver for most of the rest of my life.

Well, I'm about 53 now, so I don't plan to, by the odds, being one going down the road much longer than 20 to 25 more years. I hope to, as we all do. But, I have been around those scary moments passing those who should have given up driving a car alone chugging down the road in a motor home many times, ya know?

Ok, onto the keeping it forever issue. With 97% under the hood having been replaced and only having about 2,000 miles on it as we speak, as well as the rest of the drive train having been revamped, serviced or brought to spec, I have no concerns for it lasting till the day I die, or are no longer able to drive it. After all, my Dolphin lasted a good 30 years before it needed any help. I am confident that in its rebuilt and revamped condition, and by continuing its proper maintenance and up keep, there’s no doubt in my mind that next 20 years will be a piece of cake.

Really, the only way I would think of getting rid of her is if I wanted to live full time in a motor home again. I actually did in my Dolly for nearly 3 years, and it was capable, but I would now just want something larger to store all my stuff and toys. I wouldn’t want to worry about our unique weight issues or wanting to pull more than just a motorcycle. I would want to get a rear motorcycle lift and pull a tow car as well, and have basements to put the meaningful accumulation of one’s life. I would want to have an actual living space to stretch out in with slide outs, and a bathroom I can use, and be able to move around without having to bend down to walk, or bump my head several times a day, ya know?

But, I don’t imaging that scenario coming about unless the lottery decides to fall upon one’s chance in hell of winning, or my stocks popping and 401K become insanely fruitful. All possible mind you, but I'm a realist and not counting on that. So, as it stands, for the 5 weeks of vacation I get per year, and for the one weekend a month I’m not on call, she is perfect, perfect, perfect, and why I love my little Dolly so much!

it is relisted

whats crazy about ebay is there was one with a free flight, much crappier all around it was a dolphin that sold for 13k.

this one though I think has missed the burning man rush. In fact look for prices to start falling now and especially in 2 weeks.