1993 Toyota Winnebago

sparky6915

Looking at purchasing a 1993 Toyota Winnebago and need help. After a lot of reading I am worried about weight capacity for the vehicle. It seems from my reading that if the tanks are full that the vehicle already exceeds gvw of 6000lbs. I wanted to use vehicle to travel with family and camp close to home. Have 4 children and know that quarters will be tight - will be putting a few of them in a tent for sleeping. Can anyone help on this? Our whole family weighs about 800 lbs.

Are you over the GVWR, probably so. Are you safe? yes/no/maybe. Should you worry about it? Yes/No/Maybe

Is the vehicle a deathtrap at 6,001 but OK at 6,000. NO. What about 7,000.

I don't think anyone would tell you its OK to run 1,000 overgross. Do I do it, yes. no problems. I make sure the bearings are greased and I run good quality tires at the correct inflation.

I can't envision anything on this vehicle that would be safe at 5000 but unacceptable at 7000 ( If it unsafe at 7000, then its unsafe at 5000, i.e. bad tires)

A 15 year old tire thats dry rotted will be more likely to fail at 7000 than at 5000, but its still an unsafe tire.

Do I loose sleep over this, no.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

1993 would at least have the full heavy duty undercarage front and rear. not the 5 lug front

Looking at purchasing a 1993 Toyota Winnebago and need help. After a lot of reading I am worried about weight capacity for the vehicle. It seems from my reading that if the tanks are full that the vehicle already exceeds gvw of 6000lbs. I wanted to use vehicle to travel with family and camp close to home. Have 4 children and know that quarters will be tight - will be putting a few of them in a tent for sleeping. Can anyone help on this? Our whole family weighs about 800 lbs.

I have a 93 winnie warrior - mine weighs about 5300 empty. Most people travel with their tanks empty - filling up when they get wherever. I travel alone or with one other -- since we boondock most of the time we tend to fill the water & carry about 6 gallons of water in bottles.

I suspect most of these campers are running around overweight - I would guess a 1000lbs. Most have 8ply tires now (D) like mine - I run them at 65lbs (max) & keep the air bags fully inflated 90-100lbs.

6 folks in one of these? wow!! mine has 4 seat belts - 2 up front & 2 at the table. The sofa has a placard not to use while vehicle in motion.

I would not sweat the weight but seems to me that you just need a bigger camper. A tow vehicle with enough seats for all & a large popup or medium trailer might be a better mix.