Hot water troubles on a 1980 Dolphin

Let me preface this by saying I'm not that familiar with how rv water systems work. The pop-up that I grew up with didn't have one this complicated. We just got this unit and I started turning everything on today. The cold water side works great. The hot water side doesn't so much. I see where the cold water supply comes in at the bottom. It has had a bypass valve installed with a hose going between the water line in and the hot water line out. I made sure that the valve was open TO the hot water heater and the bypass hose was shut off. If you leave the hot water closed at the sinks for awhile, it builds up pressure sprays a little water then stops. Again, cold side is fine, and there are no known leaks that I can find. Anything I should look at or try? The water heater turns on and heats just fine, just not sure what's up with getting it water. I promptly shut it back off, since without water I dont want to make a bomb! HELP!

I'm an idiot...I now know all about rv plumbing! Turns out, there was a shutoff on the top "bypass" valve that I hadn't noticed before since it was on the back side of the valve. I opened that and the heater now works perfectly! I still have a question though...does it run full bore all the time? Or does it kick on, kick off to maintain water temp. Just wondering if I should only start it as needed or if I can leave it running for awhile without any worries.

I can't imagine that there isn't a thermostat. Have you Googled the make and model # to find an Owners Manual?

http://bryantrv.com/owners.html

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

http://www.lsrv.info/david/Suburban%20Water%20Heater%20Manuals/INST%20OPER%20204287%20SW12,16D,DE,DEM%206-15-07%20REV%20A.pdf

Chances are good that it's an Atwood or Suburban.

starting the water heater up cold it might run 20 min then quit roaring and drop down to pilot.Then not come on for a while or when you run hot water. myn is a 1987 with a standing pilot. and has a temp adjustment on the gas valve.

you say. it turns on do you have to light it . or does it have auto lighting some do. regardless they have tempture controls. I beleve the auto light units control the temp by a thermostat turning on the eletric ingnition the auto light units do not have a pilot light.

As 5 Toyota says, it can take 15-20 minutes to heat the water from a cold start. (not very efficient heater). Once the water is up to temperature, it should kick on / off automatically, but as you already figured out, you want to make sure the tank is full of water before turning on the heat. Run the hot water for a while until it stops spewing air. keep in mind the water heater sucks up propane.

The big pain in the butt will be winterizing. You 'll want to drain the tank from the outside, put a couple gallons of anti freeze in the fresh tank, then run the hot water until you see it spewing some antifreeze.

I could never figure out why someone would install that bypass valve accessory. Either your bypassed, or your not. If your bypassing, you want to make sure the tank is drained and winterized. If someone cracks the valve or it leaks a little bit, you just lost your winterization and the heater could be destroyed after the first hard freeze.

For the way we've used our Toyhouse, the water heater isn't worth messing with. After I winterized it last year, I disconnected the lines and capped them. then made a short hose to bypass it. We heat dishwater on the stove.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I've posted this before, but the option I went with was an instant heat unit that is electric, weighs 8 pounds, and operates with my generator, as well as AC plug in. Gives me all the hot water I want, and no tank limitations. It’s reasonable, and I was able to easily “T” off the water supply and reconnect to the existing hot water plumbing. I put it in the space where my old tank unit was mounted, and installed a nice outdoor utility light where my old heater vent used to be. I went electric, as I have recently made my Motorhome propane free, but they do make a propane version as well, but that needed out venting, heat pipe insulation, and a larger space to install it. Here’s where I got mine. Good Luck!

http://www.marey.com...sp?productID=26

cool! We're gonna try it this weekend. It's got a manual pilot light. See, I like the idea of an electric unit, but as of yet this RV doesn't have a generator and I'm puzzled as to where to put one.

Good luck with your unit and Solution. Here is a post in our forum for generator help, if you decide to invest in one, there are some good info here, and also showing what I did to carry one with me... ENJOY!

http://toyotamotorho...owtopic=4899=

I get along with my hot water heater just fine. I light it and leave it on pilot. It takes a few hrs to heat up, but we don't need it right away anyhow. Just on pilot, it supplies me with all the hot water, that we need. Try it once. I got that good tip from someone here. One of many, I know. Have a good time in your Toyhouse. B)

There is an electric heater element available for the 6 gallon tanks that screws in where the drain plug goes but running a generator to use it seems like it would use more fuel then propane being a two step process. To me the propane units work fine and as 84toyrv said once the water is hot the pilot light keeps it toasty over night. My main gas does not even come on unless I use a couple of gallons of hot water.

well said as 99 percent of our camping is back country we enjoy our propane