Reconnecting fresh water tank drain?

Hi all.

A few weeks ago we got a 1986 Dolphin and I've been working on fixing stuff up (made another post in the improvements section if interested).

One thing I'd like to get hooked back up is the fresh water tank drain.

Right now the little "T valves" that drain out the bottom work when the pump is on, but the fresh water drain is missing.

I got a new valve and think I have identified the line.

Right now the fresh water tank is under the bench and I believe I identified the drain but it's cut and capped (see 'fresh_water_drain.jpg attachment).

I also identified where the valve should go in the 'dolphin_drivers_side.jpg' attachment... it's labeled as 'Missing connection, not sure what this was...' (I've learned a few things since I took the pictures... haha)

Anyway, I'm not sure how to get a line from where it's split off by the tank down to where the drain is.

There is a line going from the top of the tank, through the floor and draining out the bottom.

I'm assuming that's an overflow, so do I splice into there and run it to the valve or do I run a separate line, put it through the floor and out the the drain, or am I missing sometihng?

Thanks so much for any info!

post-6301-0-95958700-1338413977_thumb.jp

post-6301-0-32432500-1338413987_thumb.jp

Showson 1,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here. Did you buy one of those white nylon spigot valves that go on the outside of the motorhome? They are usually the ones that are used as the fresh water tank drain. In the photo the label that reads "missing connection not sure what this was..." may be where the tank drain valve was mounted. Is there a hose leading to it on the inside?

John

Hi John,

Well yeah, that's what I was saying in the post.

I got a new spigot, know where it goes and think I identified the line drain line that's split off.. just don't know how to run the line to connect the two.

Do I put a new hole in the floor and run the line to the spigot?

There is also a line from the top of the tank hat drains straight out the bottom... do i tap into that and redirect that to the spigot?

Not sure where to rub the line to get it to the spigot I'm going to install in the place it's currently missing.

Thanks

Did you climb underneith and look up? theres got to be a hole where the hose feeds through.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Not sure why the top of the tank (maybe a vent) would be going through a hole in the floor.

There should be a vent, but it should connect to the fresh water tank fill. On the fresh water tank fill, there should be a large hose for filling and a small hose for the vent.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The tank overflow line should go from the top of the tank to a place outside. That way when the tank is full the water runs out on the ground and you know the tank is full.

I would be very concerned about having the fresh water tank venting to the bottom side of the vehicle, This could be a source of contamination, i.e. bugs and stuff climbing up into the vent line, or the vent line siphoning crap up from under the vehicle.

Look on the back side of your fill port, there should be a connection for the vent. This one should be similar to what you have.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/WhiteGravityWaterHatch.html

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks, I don't remember seeing a connection for the vent on the fill port, but I'll check when I get home.

So are you thinking that the drain should be going out that hole to the valve and not the overflow?

Thanks.

So are you thinking that the drain should be going out that hole to the valve and not the overflow?

Yes

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Look on the back side of your fill port, there should be a connection for the vent. This one should be similar to what you have.

You were right on man.

I took a look at it and sure enough there's a little hole next to where the place to fill it is.

I looked at the back and there is no hose hooked up to that.. so here is my plan (please tell me what you think).

1. Attach the new valve to the place where it's missing on the outside of the RV
  2. Pull the line (that's going from the top of the tank out the bottom) back up out of the floor and hook it to that vent / overflow spot next to the fresh water fill.. or run a new line from the tank top to that spot.
  3. Attach a new hose to the new drain valve, run it up through the hole in the floor (where the hose from the top of the tank was) and splice that in to the spot near the tank (indicated in the second picture in the OP).

It's my understanding that this drain just works by gravity and I don't need to put anything between the splice and the drain valve.. is this correct?

Thanks so much for all the info, it's been VERY helpful.

Your plan sounds good. Now the only thing you need to remember is when you winterize.

Since there is a short piece of hose that runs from the tank, through the floor and to the drain, you need to make sure you winterize that short piece of hose. After you drain the tank, close the valve, put RV Antifreeze in the tank, and then open the drain until you see antifreeze, then shut the drain.

Also remember, if your traveling into freezing weather, that short piece of hose is outside and will freeze. (The tank is inside and may not freeze as long as you keep it above freezing inside)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thank you SO much man, I really appreciate all the info.

I spent ALL day working on the Dolphin today.. the majority of that was working on part of the frame as there was some really hokey stuff going on.

Anyway, I got the city water and tank drain hooked up and I re-routed the vent / overflow from going through the floor to the connection next to where you fill the tank.

I had to get some adapters to reduce the hose size, but got everything hooked tested and checked for leaks, it's all good! :)

Thanks again, I was having a heck of a time figuring out how to hook that up! :)