Shower hose fitting from faucet leaks

Yup. Ya sure get reminded of stuff, that needed attention, last year. I have checked over everything and I'm doing ok, but..... The shower fitting, that attaches to the bathroom sink, leaks a lot, when I turn the faucet diverter for the shower. I see a hose colored, plastic sleeve covering a squarish fitting (outlet for faucet shower water?) and hose end. I don't want to try to take it apart or tightening it and end up breaking something. We're boondocking this weekend and need the shower. A leaky one is better than none. :P

Any ideas? Thanx a lot!

Tudy

84 Dolphin

Yup. Ya sure get reminded of stuff, that needed attention, last year. I have checked over everything and I'm doing ok, but..... The shower fitting, that attaches to the bathroom sink, leaks a lot, when I turn the faucet diverter for the shower. I see a hose colored, plastic sleeve covering a squarish fitting (outlet for faucet shower water?) and hose end. I don't want to try to take it apart or tightening it and end up breaking something. We're boondocking this weekend and need the shower. A leaky one is better than none. :P

Any ideas? Thanx a lot!

Tudy

84 Dolphin

What is a hose colored, plastic sleeve? And what's on the hose end? Is it a showerhead? You probably won't break anything if you try to tighten any of the fittings with your hand, just don't use any tools. You probably have a bad rubber washer in the end of the shower hose that attaches to the sink.

John

Rescue tape. Most truck stops carry it. You stretch it and it seals to itself and will seal anything as long as you can wrap it all the way around the pipes. I always carry some. Works great on radiator hose too and lasts forever. More you stretch it the better it seals

http://www.rescuetap...CFYQGRQodNURM5g

Have to look around and find some near you

Linda S

Here's someplaces that carry it but I spend a lot of time at Ace hardware and I have never seen it there

http://rescuetape.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-to-buy-rescue-tape.html

Any ideas? Thanx a lot!

Tudy

84 Dolphin

Some of the shower hoses have a vacuum breaker on the faucet end, it looks like a small white plastic hose adapter. These can get stuck and leak.

vacuum breaker

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Amazing information! I think that it may be the vacuum breaker that is leaking. I plan to take the sink apart to find out. If all else fails.... Rescue Tape will save the day. You guys are the best! Thanx!

Tudy

• 2 months later...

Our 82 17' Sunrader has a tangle of gray rigid hose with connectors everywhere. We replaced the water heater, pump, and galley plumbing a few years ago. Being sailors, we used marine-grade reinforced clear hose and marine connectors. It's worked well.

We've been trying to ignore the deterioration of the supply lines to the shower and toilet, but the time has come. This time we are taking a less expensive route and using the non-marine grade reinforced clear hose from Home Depot which is much lower cost and is comparable. The interior of the hose is the same as the old gray supply lines--1/2" diameter. By using the reinforced hose, we avoid many of the excess connections in the old plan. The hose gently bends around the corners underneath seats, through the "garage" and under the fridge and closet. To make the job simpler, we will use the still-functional 90 degree connections to the shower and toilet by splicing into them. All connectors are made with connectors, Tees and stainless steel hose clamps.

We're doing it this weekend and are looking forward to having all new plumbing!

Sounds like a great idea! Our Toyhomes are getting older and need updating, every so often. If you don't keep working on updates/repairs, it could get overwhelming. Let us know how it turns out. :)