Advice: Live in a Dolphin the next year

aktundra

http://www.toyotamot...ta_Dolphin.html

I noticed this one advertised on this site is a better deal than any the op was looking at.

In fact this one would be a steal even by california standards.

and I like the 4 x 4 sunrader for 4500 too, the next one on the listing. perfect for alaska. a little worried about the home made part.

What you get, depends on a few things.

Will it serve as your only transportation before you move?

Can all your worldly possessions (the ones making the trip to AK) fit in it? You can tow a light trailer, if need be.

Will you keep it after moving to AK?

If the answers are yes, a good toyhouse makes sense. If not, you might consider a TT or larger old domestic C or A class. Those old beasts are roomier and can be had for next to nothing since they get horrible mileage. They do however get comparable mileage to a toyhouse while parked. Such a vehicle will be a bit more comfy than a toyhouse.

As for where to park, you have a few options. A park is more convenient, but, expensive. If it is just yourself, you can do as others do and move around. Get a Y membership for showers. If you do it right, you can go an awful long time without needing to dump tanks. Also, you can get a PV cell charger to take care of electricity needs, although, if you are in the south, this may not be the case as life without AC there can be pretty miserable.

I

Not Crazy, as I had lived in my 21 foot Dolphin for 2 years when I first got her for the same reasons. I was starting out again, and didnt have the bucks to shell out for all the deposits, first and last, utility deposits, etc. My rent now is only $450.00 a month where I live now, so its just as good as a RV park. But I have just receintly fixed up my old girl, and if things change, and the economy goes to pot or whatever, I will be ready for anything in my little wonder! Nice post, good luck, and Peace!

Edited by Davidadro

Hey, if ya want to live in sunny California, there is this park in Corona outside Orange County that has a great deal. $450.00 monthly including utilities? Not sure of the particulars such as minimum stay times, or deposits, but hey Southern Cali for 450? They have a general store and a bar! Sounds cool....

http://www.glenivyrvpark.com/

ASregards the scamp they are indeed a neet little travel trailer my son bought one did a complete top to bottom restoration and had a ball camping in it with a wife 2 kids a little dog pulled it all the time with a 1994 toyota four runner bought a second one to flip sold both for enough to buy a brand new JAYCO SWIFT

I love scamps.

I sometimes see them on allofcraigs.com for as little as 2k.

I have never seen one on the west coast for less than 4k. That is one thing that might be more expensive out here.

they are made by different companies but scamp is the longest living one so they start in minnesota and branch out....

I am personally about to live in my toyhome full time. But I wish I wish I was in my 03 civic and a scamp. I will go that route. Especially when the gas price rises.

As far as im concerned, thats the pinacle for a single male.. a big one or a little one.

now married, it might be a toy home,and a car. a single guy doesnt need the whole space of a toyhome and a functional car totally negates the gas mileage problems of the toyhome.