Nuts about fishing...maybe too nuts

toyota222

First let me say that with every fishing trip I take, I'm planning the next two. The following scenario won't take place until November of 2012. There is a fishing destination on the Outer Banks of North Carolina called Shacklesford Bank. It is located at the southern tip of Core Banks and called Cape Lookout. There is a vehicle ferry from the mainland (Davis, NC), which will drop you off at a point that is about 20 miles from Cape Lookout. There is a closer ferry to Cape Lookout, but it is strictly passenger. I used it last fall to scout the area and see if this vehicle-camping expedition had a snowball's chance. When I arrived at Cape Lookout, I witnessed 4WD vehicles coming from the northerly direction on a single lane path that was maybe a dune's distance removed from the surf. My initial reaction to imagining my Sunrader doing 20 miles on this terrain was "No way." My question concerns the possibility of driving my 21 foot 2WD dually Sunrader behind and in tandem (chain? towing strap?) with a 4WD truck. It wouldn't be a case of pulling "dead weight" - the 4WD would be pulling an active, dual-axle vehicle.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Any tips? Input is welcome! I want to fish!

mick

Well it would make much more sense to leave your Sunrader at the drop off place and just drive the 4x4 in to fish. I have driven my 18ft Sunrader on the beach at Pismo Ca but the sand is packed very hard because there is a camping spot out there and lots of Rv's. The duallies provide quite a bit of traction but 20 miles would scare me.

I don;t think a 4x4 truck unless it's a really big one is going to be able to pull a 6000lb motorhome out of deep sand. Again don't know what the beaches there are like

Linda S

First let me say that with every fishing trip I take, I'm planning the next two. The following scenario won't take place until November of 2012. There is a fishing destination on the Outer Banks of North Carolina called Shacklesford Bank. It is located at the southern tip of Core Banks and called Cape Lookout. There is a vehicle ferry from the mainland (Davis, NC), which will drop you off at a point that is about 20 miles from Cape Lookout. There is a closer ferry to Cape Lookout, but it is strictly passenger. I used it last fall to scout the area and see if this vehicle-camping expedition had a snowball's chance. When I arrived at Cape Lookout, I witnessed 4WD vehicles coming from the northerly direction on a single lane path that was maybe a dune's distance removed from the surf. My initial reaction to imagining my Sunrader doing 20 miles on this terrain was "No way." My question concerns the possibility of driving my 21 foot 2WD dually Sunrader behind and in tandem (chain? towing strap?) with a 4WD truck. It wouldn't be a case of pulling "dead weight" - the 4WD would be pulling an active, dual-axle vehicle.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Any tips? Input is welcome! I want to fish!

mick

Bring a shovel and some sand ladders...

51dWQDt1cPL._SS500_.jpg

:ThumbUp::)

Thanks, Bunneys, the sand ladders are a good idea... but not too practical for the distance. Maybe I'll call the vehicle ferry terminal and ask if they've transported similar 2WD RV's and what the success rate was. I may get laughed right off the dock, but they do issue parking permits for a parking lot at the South Core Bank's ferry dock. Maybe hitching a ride to the southern end (14 mi.) as Linda suggested is the practical solution. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having the RV on the island. Well, these are the kind of problems I think about when I'm stuck in traffic...

Hello Mick,

I have been to the Outer Banks the last two years (going again this year) and the beaches from Pea Island

to Ocracoke Island is definitely only for 4WD vehicles, I have seen many 2WD trucks get stuck just a few

yards into the beach and even some 4WD trucks.

Your duellies might do alright but its your front wheels that are going to be the issue, once you hit a

small patch of soft sand your front tires are going to sink and if the duellies still have traction you

will probably just bury the front tires even deeper.

Once your frame hits the ground the only way out is with a shovel and a jack, that is you need to raise

the frame off the ground and then get a tow out of the soft sand area.

If you decide to try it, bring a good shovel, a 3 ton jack, and some boards (for the jack and your tires).

Dennis B.

Also, lower your tire pressure down to about 20lbs (at least your front tires), it will

give you a wider footprint. You will need to bring an air compressor to use before you

get back on pavement.

I am very familiar with the Outer Banks, and you're right, Dennis. The sand is a much softer base and drifting constantly. I've helped people with FWD vehicles dig themselves free from dunes that they tried to "fly" over on their way to the beach. You're right, the front wheels dig down to the rims, the frame bellies to the dune and the car is perched on sand. Then the fun begins...

Last fall I parked my RV in a wooded lane, a truck path that I had no business parking on, but I was putting it away for the winter and my main concern was tarping it for the weather. When it was time to move and de-winterize the RV in the spring, I ended up burying it to the axles. I chained it to a Ford 9N tractor, started the RV and put it in Neutral. I jumped on the tractor and in low gear spun the tires. Too much dead weight to pull! I then got my daughter to pilot the RV, with the instructions to drop it in low gear and lightly feather the accelerator when I took up the chain-slack with the tractor. With the RV's dually axle pushing, the inertia was enough that I was able to pull it free from the muddy lane onto a gravel driveway.

What I am trying to visualize is a leader vehicle (4WD 3/4 ton pickup) that would, in low gear, pull the RV (which is also in low gear) through the barrier dune(s) and break thru to the much firmer shore sand. Of course, if it worked, I may just consider myself lucky, make camp right there, surf fish and the heck with 15 miles.

I am very familiar with the Outer Banks, and you're right, Dennis. The sand is a much softer base and drifting constantly. I've helped people with FWD vehicles dig themselves free from dunes that they tried to "fly" over on their way to the beach. You're right, the front wheels dig down to the rims, the frame bellies to the dune and the car is perched on sand. Then the fun begins...

Last fall I parked my RV in a wooded lane, a truck path that I had no business parking on, but I was putting it away for the winter and my main concern was tarping it for the weather. When it was time to move and de-winterize the RV in the spring, I ended up burying it to the axles. I chained it to a Ford 9N tractor, started the RV and put it in Neutral. I jumped on the tractor and in low gear spun the tires. Too much dead weight to pull! I then got my daughter to pilot the RV, with the instructions to drop it in low gear and lightly feather the accelerator when I took up the chain-slack with the tractor. With the RV's dually axle pushing, the inertia was enough that I was able to pull it free from the muddy lane onto a gravel driveway.

What I am trying to visualize is a leader vehicle (4WD 3/4 ton pickup) that would, in low gear, pull the RV (which is also in low gear) through the barrier dune(s) and break thru to the much firmer shore sand. Of course, if it worked, I may just consider myself lucky, make camp right there, surf fish and the heck with 15 miles.

or get both you and the 4wd stuck then both of you will be spending the night in your RV!!