Hi all, we just bought a 1984 Sunrader 4 speed in excellent shape mechanically and other wise, driving it back home I felt like it would be great with a 5 gear , if anyone here can comment regarding this swap it would be greatly appreciated, PS I tend to drive my vehicles real easy and am mechanically able to do the job.

post-6244-0-99887100-1336014205_thumb.jp

a 5 speed is inherently weaker, if you really want a 5 speed find an R150 5 speed from a turbo truck (they arent rare) that is a nearly bulletproof tranny- thats the bees knees of toyota manual transmissions

Can you convert the R151 into a 2wd though??? Maybe just get the bell-housing from the R151 and install onto the V6 2wd 5-speed ...?

r150 is a 2 wheel drive trans as well as the r154 which can be made to be used behind a 22r with a r150 bellhousing and r151 is a 4wd and has a transfer case, to the best of my knowledge you cant remove the transfer case and install a 2 wd tailhousing due to different bolt patterns

R trans info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_transmission

I think your on to something! what trans does the non-turbo Supra use???you can bolt it to a w-series bell-housing from a truck... the R154 input shaft would be too long... Might be interchangeable though, but you would still need to get the R151 bell housing...

Also, did a quick Google search and yes the R151 was available in 2wd form... But I can imagine how hard it would be to find :)

R150 are very common, they came behind all the toyota trucks and 4runners with the V6's here in Canada. the R151 only behind the 22RET models... (turbo)

I think your on to something! what trans does the non-turbo Supra use???you can bolt it to a w-series bell-housing from a truck... the R154 input shaft would be too long... Might be interchangeable though, but you would still need to get the R151 bell housing...

Also, did a quick Google search and yes the R151 was available in 2wd form... But I can imagine how hard it would be to find :)

R150 are very common, they came behind all the toyota trucks and 4runners with the V6's here in Canada. the R151 only behind the 22RET models... (turbo)

you are correct, and the input shaft is longer, someone out there makes a simple plate/spacer to bolt between the bellhousing and engine to address this, many guys who swap in 3RZs are using this trans.

or some are using an even more odd combo (getting confused by all this yet?!!) of using the R150 behind a 3RZ- if you get a bell housing from a 2006 and up 2WD Tacoma with a 2TR-FE and a 5 speed you can use it to adapt your 3RZ to any 4wd/2WD R series tranny.

trans.jpg

the R151 was only in turbo 2WDs here in the states as well

a 5 speed is inherently weaker, if you really want a 5 speed find an R150 5 speed from a turbo truck (they arent rare) that is a nearly bulletproof tranny- thats the bees knees of toyota manual transmissions

I have heard good things about the W56 5 speed transmission. can you elaborate any on why 5 speeds are weaker than 4 speeds

Thanks

5th gear rides on the outside of a shaft supported by bearings, it doesnt have another bearing on the end of the shaft creating alot of stress and wear very quickly when not taken care of by loading it up with larger tires and not changing rear diff ratio, towing and "lugging" it in 5th without downshifting is very hard on it as well.

I know of a couple of w56 2wd transmissions for sale near me, was thinkng about swapping out my w46 for a w56, another toyota board a read praises the w56. and it is hard to find a 2wd version

now having second thoughts about it. But I really would like a 5th gear and a transmisson that will swap out easy with a 22re . My rear diff is a 3.90

I had a Toyota SR-5 pickup and the 5th gear started vibrating at about 150,000 miles. By the time it got to 200,000 miles, I could not use 5th. Most of my driving was very lightly loaded, but, sometimes I really loaded it up or pulled a pretty good size trailer. Whenever it was heavy, I never used 5th gear. I had the 22r engine and can't believe that it would pull these MH's any better than my pickup being loaded up. I do not know what gear ratio I had in the pickup so maybe the MH is gear enough lower that it would work.

source any one of the R series 5 speeds and be done with it- they are designed for more abuse/horsepower than your RV will dish out ever. its the choice of anyone building Toyotas to compete with or expidition use, it is used behind diesels in overseas Toyota Landcruisers which weigh about what an RV does

• 2 weeks later...

source any one of the R series 5 speeds and be done with it- they are designed for more abuse/horsepower than your RV will dish out ever. its the choice of anyone building Toyotas to compete with or expidition use, it is used behind diesels in overseas Toyota Landcruisers which weigh about what an RV does

so here is a R151F bellhousing from a '87 turbo 4x4. would it work in a 2wd application with the 22re 4cyl? So with this bellhousing I need to look for the R150 or R151 2wd transmission correct? what other issues might I encounter? drive shaft length, stock cross member not fitting, shifter location?

http://seattle.craig...2984945209.html

so here is a R151F bellhousing from a '87 turbo 4x4. would it work in a 2wd application with the 22re 4cyl? So with this bellhousing I need to look for the R150 or R151 2wd transmission correct? what other issues might I encounter? drive shaft length, stock cross member not fitting, shifter location?

http://seattle.craig...2984945209.html

yup, grab it- you can bolt the Rup to it as well

I have an Auto with the OD., two points

1) When I first got it I was looking at doing a swap for a 4 or 5 speed manual, more reliable, little better mpg. The longer I own it, the more I dismissed this idea. My Toyhouse does a lot of shifting, not like a car. even driving down the freeway, if I come up on a long steep overpass, I get a downshift.

With the Automatic, I just leave the cruise control on and let it happen. I'm glad I didn't make the swap.

2) The OD on my auto is a real OD (4th gear), It can be disabled with a pushbutton. I seldom use it, as it constantly pops in and out. If I'm on a down hill, or on a straight with a slight tailwind. use it. Otherwise it s normally turned off.

From my experience with the auto's OD, the addition 5th gear in the manual may never be used.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I agree with waiter 5th gear with any hills is going to be lonesome and feel neglected with a 4 cylinder. And yes the early standard 5 spd. had issues with loaded work trucks or pulling a trailers with 5th gear.