Came across this:-

The FACTORY 4.88 V6 diff is unique!

- Axle code G144, white pinion paint code,

- generally came in 92-95 trucks/4runners with V6, auto tranny, 31" tires, and tow package.

- Housing offsets pinion towards ring gear, allowing ring gear to be thinner

- OEM Toyota gears are the ONLY gears that fit this diff due to the thinner ring gear. All other gear sets have thicker ring gears and do not fit.

- The carrier (case) is the same as the V6 diffs, so normal V6 lockers, LSD's, etc. will work in this diff

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

just a thought, but if you go too extreme on gear ratios you will in effect make OD work like D. In that case you haven't really accomplished anything, just use D. any change that will help OD have more power, ie increasing RPMs and fewer MPG, will also make the engine RPM increase in D when used. my thought is whatever ratio splits the difference would help the OD without making the D increase the RPMs a lot. depending on load and driving conditions this may not be enough to make the OD usable and as a side effect make D not as usable. no changes will increase the power of the engine, only change how the power is used. you will end up with more power for pulling or more speed at lower RPMs, not both. my understanding is the 4's are made for higher RPMs, to make it quieter maybe some noise reduction under the hood and on the firewall is called for :o).

In D at 3200 rpm your going 61mph with a 4.10 rear end.... in D at 3200 RPM your going 52MPH with a 4.88 rear gear.

In OD with a 4.88 your going 62mph with the engine turning 2700 rpm.

For O/D to equal D you would need a 5.70 (or so) ratio

I just recieved a 21' 1990 Sunrader V6 Auto from my dad. He put 4.88's under it. It did not affect the fuel mileage. I just drove it home 450miles through the mountains of Or and WA and got 15mpg out of it. My dad towed 4ea 4wheelers behind this m/h quite frequently with no issues. So my vote would be for 4.88's. Hope this helps.

A useful input. Thanks.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the towing operation? I'd like to add it to my 'Yes, they can tow' Archive. :ThumbUp:

Maybe next time you're underneath you could photograph and measure what was done to beef up the frame extensions for towing. People are always asking.

The big 'problem' that has to be dealt with is the A43D and A340 O/D of ~30%. No matter what final drive ratio you put in, it's still going to be 30%. The only way around that would be to convert to a 5-speed, where the O/D is ~15%.

kind of relative, the 4runners that have the 4.88s are only the automatics with the 31 inch tire option and one would think they would have alot of low end power bu they lack it very much.

so yes, with an auto you would be able to get away with lower (diff) gears than with a 5 speed.

I'll have to get a hold of my folks to see if they have pics. I doubt they would have any digital pics though. Next time "Agnes" is up in the air I'll get you some pics.

Thanks