LP tank

Bob C

Does anyone have an guesstimate about the size of the LP tanks on the Toy MH's? I looked and could not see any information on the tank itself.

Can't tell from your pic of your motorhome what brand it is. If it's an under mount permanent tank they are usually 8 gallons. If it's in a compartment and has to be removed to fill but used horizontally it's usually 5 gallons. I've also seen some with 2 upright 5 gallon tanks.

LS

Does anyone have an guesstimate about the size of the LP tanks on the Toy MH's? I looked and could not see any information on the tank itself.

My Dolphin also has a 20lb horizontal, it looks like a BBQ Tank (but its not)

I also carry a BBQ tank, when I stop for the night, I set the BBQ tank outside beside the LP compartment, disconnect the horiz tank and connect the BBQ tank.

I'm looking at ways to modify the LP Compartment so I can put two BBQ tanks in there with an automatic changover valve.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks, it is good to know when getting it filled. I need to have the valve replaced because I need to use a Channel lock wrench to turn it on and off. I know that the handle will not last long doing that.

Does anyone know what it cost to get the valve replaced? I was told that the valves are not available except through LP service shops. They would not sell me one and have to look at my old one to find out if they can even get one.

If we are talking about the 20 lb horizontal tank,

Find an RV sales and service place, and ask them where to go to get your tank filled and re-certified. Tell them about the valve.

They should know that our small 20 lb horizontal tank is exempt from the OPD requirement (Overfill Protection Device). See this Link

http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/OPD.shtml

I'm thinking the valve is special because of the Horizontal pickup tube, but I have never seen it. If your able, remove the valve from the cylinder and take a look (Take photos of everything before you start so you know the position of the valve and pickup)

If I were doing this, I would do it outside in a very well vented area. I might also take my air compressor and fill the tank a few times with air to purge any propane gas. Strap the tank down and wrench the valve off.

ALSO - The valve may be able to be repaired i.e. A new stem and handle with the original valve assemble.

Valves R Us

http://www.propanewarehouse.com/cylindervalves.asp

Please take a lot of photos and do a write up.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I got the valve working again. It was really tight and I could not move it with my hand on the knob. I took the knob off and turned it back and forth a few times with a small crescent wrench. As I turned it, it loosened up. I can now turn it with my hand using the knob.

There is a lubricant I use to free up and lub these type of items "Tri-Flow" Its a Teflon based lube, good for drawer slides, and brass fittings.

Hard to find, so last time I ordered it, I had to get it off the internet.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the hint, I have a can of Tri-flow in the garage. I removed the knob and gave it a shot of Tri-flow. Amazing how easy it turns now.

Another problem solved by the people on this great site. This probably saved me $75 for a new valve and installation.

WAITER AND THE REST OF THE FRENDS the valve is indeed different on the horzontal tank when the tank lays down it has a lon g tube that bends up from the midle to the top side of the tank so that it draws vaper off the top abouve the heavy liculd pool. the stand red bbq tanks just use a strate valve pipe I found out about this because of my freands at the county HASERD WASTE DUMP SITE I HAVE seen the valves they remove them sell off for scrap brass. AND JUNK THE TANKS FOR STEEL SCRAP.

5Toyota;

Tnks, I was pretty sure it had a pickup tube, thats also one of the reasons they are exempt from the OPD. The OPDs are usually nothing more than a float on the end that closes an internal valve when the tank is full. The placement and design of this float valve would be weird and different on almost every Horiz tank.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto